X-Men '97

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Ima keep it real.....I hate that they retconned Bishop to be Aboriginal Australian

It never made any sense for them to do that. Like wtf why

Especially when on some of the comics he looks identical to Michael Jai White. I forgot which writer retconned it to be tat way but it's dumb

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is the last bishop comic i read, part of the ‘newer’ cable series where he’s protecting baby hope in the future

IMG-3744

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Ima keep it real.....I hate that they retconned Bishop to be Aboriginal Australian

Especially when on some of the comics he looks identical to Michael Jai White. I forgot which writer retconned it to be tat way but it's dumb

Didnt they do that shyt to say he was a descendant/ relative to Gateway? :jbhmm:

186666-20631-gateway.jpg

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Didnt they do that shyt to say he was a descendant/ relative to Gateway? :jbhmm:

186666-20631-gateway.jpg
Yea I think you're right. And I came across this comment on reddit

Bishop actually was created specifically to increase Black representation on the team - I believe the original idea was that he'd be Filipino, but was changed to be Black since the comic was popular among Black audiences and there hadn't been a Black man on the team yet.

The idea of him being Aboriginal was, I believe, a later addition - I think it was only first mentioned in the 2000s, when Claremont established him as a descendant of Gateway. (Who is, himself, a bit of a problematic character...) Nobody else has really done anything with the idea, and his visuals were already well established by the time that detail was added to his backstory. I think, if anything, the problem goes the other way - that Claremont thought he could take an established African-American character and retcon them as Aboriginal Australian.

Bishop's one of my favorite characters, so personally I love the idea that he's a fellow Aussie - but it wasn't the most well-thought out idea, and he's never been presented as having any real cultural ties to Australia or any specific Aboriginal group, and he's lived in the US for most of his life, so it's understandable that most writers and artists assume he's still meant to be African-American.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Wasn't Wolverine also originally Australian

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Wasn't Wolverine also originally Australian
No, not at all. Since his full comic debut, Wolverine has always been depicted as being Canadian.

However, during the '80s, when there was a surge in popularity of Australian pop culture in North America, an X-Men cartoon was being created, giving Wolverine an Australian accent. However, that didn't go over well with test audiences, and the entire cartoon was scrapped for a multitude of reasons.

Also, obviously, Hugh Jackman, who is Australian, has played Wolverine on the big screen for almost 25 years now.

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
Just caught up and this shyt is great. this is the type of shyt I've been wanting for years. DC used to be the kings of the animated comic book series but then they ruined that shyt with the horrid comeback of Young Justice. Not to sound :mjpls: but this shyt feels authentic not throwing in gay shyt just to throw that shyt in there and constantly beat us over the heads with it, the characters still feel authentic and they all getting their chance to shine the fights are dope, the characters are dope and its just:banderas:. I will say I do prefer the comic version of the lifedeath story though and I miss Magneto's old costume though I understand why he ain't wearing it though. :mjcry: Gambit I hate it had to be you bruh.