X-Men '97

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Lets be real... the main reason cyclops got shytted on by alot of fans is because wolverine was arguably the most popular x men and cyclops and wolvy were aways at odds over jean grey

If wolverine wasnt in the picture, peoples opinions of cyclops would be totally different
The Cyclops love is only in the past 15 years or so. He wasn’t very popular and was kinda bland. Then he went and left Maddy, and little baby Cable, high and dry when Jean came back. It was the Morrison run, followed by when the X-Men were out in Cali and Scott made X-Force his secret hit squad, that he started to have a edge to him.

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
The Cyclops love is only in the past 15 years or so. He wasn’t very popular and was kinda bland. Then he went and left Maddy, and little baby Cable, high and dry when Jean came back. It was the Morrison run, followed by when the X-Men were out in Cali and Scott made X-Force his secret hit squad, that he started to have a edge to him.
Yea. Its the new stuff for sure.

Imo xmen ends at astonishing. All the shyt that happened after is wack to me and has no effect on what xmen should be. I know people like some if the recent runs but it jumped the shark years ago imo. I mean arent they all clones rn anyway. Dumb. Xmen is best when its simple.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cyclops and them got cancelled after after 66 issues back in the 70s, and they brought in Wolverine and Storm in giant sized x-men in 1975 which saved the series. The popularity of the team has always been carried by Wolverine, cyclops has never been the GOAT. It's literally documented fact, cyclop has low fan interest. Which is why Logan has a long running solo series and cyclops does not.

Chris Claremont and John Byrne were the real key ingredient. Without Byrne, Wolverine would have never been anything.
Wolverine's popularity as a character didn't really take off into the stratosphere until well into the Dark Phoenix Saga (during Byrne's run). Prior to that, Wolverine stayed getting sonned REGULARLY and didn't really stand out all that much:

Wolverine.jpg

X-men 97, 1976

x-men108_05a.jpg

X-men 108, 1977

cyclops03.jpg

X-men #125, 1979

Wolverine started becoming a bigger deal when John Byrne took over as the artist.
now-its-my-turn-by-john-byrne-bng.jpg

X-men 133, 1980

^^^That was the moment where Wolverine officially became HIM.
The real secret to this era's success was having better writers like Chris Claremont and John Byrne on board.
Wolverine's breakout popularity was the byproduct.
It's telling that Cyclops and Jean were the only OG characters they kept around as regulars when they relaunched the series with Giant Sized #1.
In fact, the two of them were the primary focus of their most iconic storyline:

detail.jpg
clean.jpg

X-men 136 and 137, 1980

Cyclops and Jean were never the problem, it's the rest of that 60's crew that was mid. (Mainly Angel and Iceman. Beast was alright)

Iceman :snooze:
Angel (before the metal wings) :russell:

Scott himself was actually dope throughout the Cockrum/Byrne/Paul Smith era until X-factor #1 character-assassinated him in the mid-1980s.

The Cyclops hate here is crazy. I can’t believe some would be willing to slander the name of the GOAT X-Man and team leader in comic history.

Most people here are ONLY viewing X-men through the lenses of their rose-tinted memories of the 90s cartoon series and nothing else.
(Not saying this is you, @Luke Cage. I disagree with you but I can tell that you've read the books.)

Yea. Its the new stuff for sure.

Imo xmen ends at astonishing. All the shyt that happened after is wack to me and has no effect on what xmen should be. I know people like some if the recent runs but it jumped the shark years ago imo. I mean arent they all clones rn anyway. Dumb. Xmen is best when its simple.
IMO the first half of the Claremont era (issues 98-200) was the golden age.
The mid-to late 80s had some great stories (Mutant Massacre, Genosha, Inferno), but I didn't like how X-factor retconned the Dark Phoenix Saga and messed up Cyclops.
The early 90s are also a good time, but the quality takes a noticable dip after the Image crew leaves. As much fun as the early 90s were, that was also the most overrated era lowkey. A lot of cats rate this era way too highly because they're only going off the cartoon.
I don't really care one way or the other about anything that happens after Astonishing.

Last edited: