Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
Viewership-based residuals will be an interesting one to watch because the streamers will definitely try to cook or hide the numbers.
Government needs to step in cause the "Hollywood accounting" is straight up blatant fraud. Entertainment business needs to be cracked down on heavily.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps

I wish that the writers got more but the protections against AI are significant.

Viewership-based residuals will be an interesting one to watch because the streamers will definitely try to cook or hide the numbers.

Ehh, that tweet sorta bad because it just looks at a surface level. Negotiations 101, always start higher than you want. So what if that 232M figure they settled on was actually 10M more than what they really wanted? :manny:

Not to mention the asks that the Studios caved in cant be based on a real number monetarily. Like the mandatory minimum writers thing.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I wish that the writers got more but the protections against AI are significant.

I disagree.

The part about studios having to disclose if any material shared with the writers was generated with AI is baseless. How can that be verified??? Unless WGA has an agreement with OpenAI, Google, Anthropic, Meta etc... They have no access to what their LLMs are trained off of or what any user generated from them.

Writer: Was this outline/script drafted with AI?
Exec: Nope, next question

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It's good that the writers got some protections and some pay increases but let's be real... shyt like that "20%+ of subscibers watching the show activates a bonus" is bogus and wishful thinking because they will manipulate the numbers even if they must disclose them to the WGA and think about this: When this deal was made, it was made from a position where the studios have all access to the data and the WGA has zero access to previous data.

Meaning that the WGA was negotiating with zero knowledge of how many viewers any of these shows average in comparison to subscriber base.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It's good that the writers got some protections and some pay increases but let's be real... shyt like that "20%+ of subscibers watching the show activates a bonus" is bogus and wishful thinking because they will manipulate the numbers even if they must disclose them to the WGA and think about this: When this deal was made, it was made from a position where the studios have all access to the data and the WGA has zero access to previous data.

Meaning that the WGA was negotiating with zero knowledge of how many viewers any of these shows average in comparison to subscriber base.
Exactly. It's the same thing with them verifying what content was generated with AI... I'm reading it like how they are they going to know?

:heh:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Nothing is stopping a production company from hiring a writer that is skilled in prompt engineering and using them for a project.
nikka fukk another writer, they gonna hire themselves :heh: get that writing credit themselves :mjlol: the studios gonna develop they own script algorithms, make it privatized and executive gonna take turns "writing"

:banderas: more mid content to flood the market

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702

:patrice: some of this stuff reads weird to me. Like the part about the WGA being able to assert that A.I. use is against the agreement. okay?? wtf does that actually mean? non-Hollywood normal me reads that like they can raise concerns but they can get shut down. This agreement is not law, so what do they mean by other law???

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
What are the actors holding out for on their end?
More money and some ai stuff as well I think. Studios trying to take actor's likeness and voice and wants rights to them perpetually so they can keep using the person/voice with AI and not pay them.

I know for voice actors they trying to strong arm them hard. You hear/see the drake/weeknd/tupac/Jayz ai voices, now imagine a studio using that too mimic a voice actor? They legit would be out of a job instead of having a long career with a popular show.