Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Or gov gets involved due to economic loss. Lots of jobs are gonna be lost/decline outside of the movie biz.

Sometimes I'll listen to Matt Belloni and he said maybe a 10-15% chance Newsom or Bass get involved. He believes that entertainment lawyers will eventually hatch out a deal but it won't be a win for the actors.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I told y'all pages ago. The "woe is me" approach from the actors is NOT going to work. Why? Because the public don't give a fukk about actors struggling and the corporations aren't budging based on perceived public pressure.

The only way the studios budge is when they realize they are losing too much money. That hasn't happened yet.
Yup. And unlike sports strikes, they have ways of moving without many of them in the future.
:damn:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I told y'all pages ago. The "woe is me" approach from the actors is NOT going to work. Why? Because the public don't give a fukk about actors struggling and the corporations aren't budging based on perceived public pressure.

The only way the studios budge is when they realize they are losing too much money. That hasn't happened yet.
like im supposed to give a fukk about professional extras in movies :mjlol: maybe they make 26k a year because it isn't a real job

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Yeaaa, I don't see a future where the writers win even half of what they want.

Studios can now rely on streaming for the time being, so they aren't just hemorrhaging money.

And you already know they are working on training their own LLMs to replace a lot of these writers for the foreseeable future.

They can always write for video games. For now.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Creative and editorial writing as we know it is over. Really... All forms of writing across every industry.

All we need is a transcript and AI can do the rest with prompts and directions.

Last year when AI Art had people in an uproar and artists were furious about the tools being trained off their work, I lowkey was thinking... digital artists, illustrators and animators wouldn't be in as much trouble as writers were when ChatGPT dropped.

:hubie:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeaaa, I don't see a future where the writers win even half of what they want.

Studios can now rely on streaming for the time being, so they aren't just hemorrhaging money.

And you already know they are working on training their own LLMs to replace a lot of these writers for the foreseeable future.

They can always write for video games. For now.
Will be short lived because video games in a lot of cases don't value storylines as much as TV and Film to begin with.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Last year when AI Art had people in an uproar and artists were furious about the tools being trained off their work, I lowkey was thinking... digital artists, illustrators and animators wouldn't be in as much trouble as writers were when ChatGPT dropped.
Yeap, even with AI, you would still have to go in and tweak what the AI has produced.

Book authors found out about Sudowrite and were praising how great it was (it really is excellent for writing fiction of any kind).

Folks on Twitter were out for blood. Trying to find out the authors full names and trying to doxx them.

Writing is where these LLMs shine the most right now.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I wasn't suggesting that the studios won't want to get everyone back to work at some point but we haven't reached that point yet. I believe the actors when they say the studios are just going to starve them out because they can.

With everything shut down the studios have more cash flow. They have streaming. They have some shows and movies they can put out in the near future.

Yes, the Fall season is going to look grim but they'll have enough content to get through it. They can acquire foreign shows and movies as well.

I think what they are hoping for is the majority of the actors (who don't really make shyt) are going to put the pressure on the rest and an agreement will be reached.

Also, point blank. What actors are even a proven 'draw' these days? Tom Cruise is obvious. Probably Leo still. Maybe Margot Robbie can make a real case at this point. There's not many though.

And honestly, that's kind of how the studios want it. They'd love to continue to produce movies that can make money no matter who is acting.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
they need to focus more on the writers and less on the actors. i feel like people can kinda understand writing as a job, no one gives a fukk about actors, especially ones they dont know exist and are in the background.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I'm surprised this hasn't been covered more. cuz over 99% of the folks striking are NOT getting money like that. a prolonged strike could have a lot of them really down bad.
Onlyfans is hiring :shaq:

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I'm surprised this hasn't been covered more. cuz over 99% of the folks striking are NOT getting money like that. a prolonged strike could have a lot of them really down bad.
We'll know soon enough. Media coverage is going to focus more on politics probably in November so they will lose even more attention.