Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I'm guessing margot robbie and ryan gosling could use the same defense, cuz they been promoting heavy as hell since the strike kicked off.

You might be confusing the start of the writers strike and the SAG strike

Because post the SAG strike they haven't promoted the film. Both Opp and Barbie were timed to take advantage of that specifically

Even to the point that the SAG strike was about to be in effect (same day auth. was given, not the day it started) the Oppenheimer cast walked off the London red carpet

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
300 an episode makes no sense :picard: the residual game is disgusting compared to actual shooting day wages

If you have a speaking role you automatically get bumped up to like $968 dollars per DAY on set, MINIMUM! And that's just if you're a regular background person and the director decides to give you a line, like for example a bartender asking the main actors what they want to drink. Main acts make way more

a non speaking background actor usually starts around 150-200 per day and gets increased if they have to do shyt like drive, smoke fake cigarettes, etc. So it's a pretty good bump up.

An episode for a hour long show takes 2 weeks (10 days) to film, so do the math, you made 10 grand filming it if you there everyday. But the episode come out and you only getting 3hunna for the whole thing :wtf:
Right, so you see why production companies will gladly augment extras and background people with AI technology. :laugh:

They not trying to pay shyt
:mjtf:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Right, so you see why production companies will gladly augment extras and background people with AI technology. :laugh:

They not trying to pay shyt
:mjtf:
:what: breh what are you talking about

Paying extras is a non issue, those rates are the lowest on a film set, we've been using green screen to paint in copies of crowds for ages because logistically it's just absurd to expect 1000 people to show up and not slow us all down. You don't need A.i. for that, you book 300 extras and just move them around per shot, and that ONE shot that only last 5 seconds that shows the entire 1,000 crowd is created by vfx just getting some shots of the background and painting them in. Production isn't sweating shyt like that at all in my experience and I've been all over the country

These are regular ass people with day jobs and tbh it's like babysitting children, I'd be fine if the actually did full A.i. background for that alone :camby: would save everyone a ton of time so we can get off of work earlier and go see our families instead of waiting for 400+ people who are bullshytting around and not following instructions, turning your 12-hour day to 16

There's too many nuances at play for y'all to understand the issues and the non issues without having years of experience on the highest level :yeshrug: some of these things are worth preserving and some things aren't, don't get caught up thinking that none of this stuff needs to be upgraded, some of it actually does benefit full time crew.

Y'all don't realize we've also been trying to work LESS hours for ages, so yes the companies would save money getting rid of some things, but we also get to actually go home at a reasonable time which is way more important for most of us. Our schedule would break the majority of people considering the level of focus needed.

It took a whole covid pandemic to get the industry to switch from paper to digital :mjlol: again something that saves us countless hours at work, and production money, needed a crazy once in a lifetime situation to make the change

Last edited:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Mu fukkas don’t know struggle yet. If they really want change they’ll fight on. Nothing comes easy. :shaq2:
Yeah think, ironically, people who write these condensed versions of real people’s lives forget how hard it actually was.

The point of the bus boycott was to financially harm the owners but that meant walking in the heat of summer or car pooling when not everyone had a car in the first place. It lasted a year.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Yeah think, ironically, people who write these condensed versions of real people’s lives forget how hard it actually was.

The point of the bus boycott was to financially harm the owners but that meant walking in the heat of summer or car pooling when not everyone had a car in the first place. It lasted a year.
A few posts back someone posted a vid where a writer said she made over 200k on one show and like 30-40k the next one. I was literally:mindblown:

I could make that shyt last for 2+ years, and I live in LA county. These writers better not give in so easily and deal with the temporary struggle they gotta deal with. :childplease:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
A few posts back someone posted a vid where a writer said she made over 200k on one show and like 30-40k the next one. I was literally:mindblown:

I could make that shyt last for 2+ years, and I live in LA county. These writers better not give in so easily and deal with the temporary struggle they gotta deal with. :childplease:
I have no idea what people’s expenses are living in LA.

But doing jobs delivering on Uber for 8 or 9 months vs being able to financially support yourself by writing for the next 20 years is a drop in the bucket.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I told y'all pages ago. The "woe is me" approach from the actors is NOT going to work. Why? Because the public don't give a fukk about actors struggling and the corporations aren't budging based on perceived public pressure.

The only way the studios budge is when they realize they are losing too much money. That hasn't happened yet.

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
I told y'all pages ago. The "woe is me" approach from the actors is NOT going to work. Why? Because the public don't give a fukk about actors struggling and the corporations aren't budging based on perceived public pressure.

The only way the studios budge is when they realize they are losing too much money. That hasn't happened yet.
Let em cry 99 percent of Hollywood wouldn't spit on us if we were on fire.