would you join the military? why and why not?

Daps
Reppin
California
lol I'm a soldier myself. Given my MOS, I don't even really get put in any fukk situations. Yall sounding kinda overboard.

detach

Banned
Daps
Reppin
OHIO
Hell no I wouldn't join..you gotta be a straight bytch made nikka to let another nikka most likely a cac yell in ya face and give you orders..

Drill sergeant: get down and give me 50!!!

Me: you better get the fukk from around me with that yelling before I fukk you up. I'm not doing no push ups. I eat when I want and I sleep when I want..I work out when ever I feel like it..if you have any problems with that, then we can take it outside so I can kick ya teeth in..

And don't let them give me a rifle cuz I'm running up on officers putting the barrel to the side of their dome if they want more problems..
YOU'RE NOT DISCIPLINE!

Will2x

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's ironic y'all bag on the military when it's has more room for growth and advancement than most jobs for black people.

Unchained

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got out of the Army in '06 and been :win: ever sinse. I only did four years, went to Iraq once. When I got out I applied for disability compensation, which is almost automatic and got 40% :win: a couple of years later I refiled and now get 60% :youngsabo:

When I got out I moved back home to DC. Had an elevator construction job set up when I got out. I ended up quiting that job three weeks later and taking the post office test to be a mailman. All I had to do was pass and I got put on the top of the list because of my veterans preference.

I worked at the Post Office for four years then decided to apply to some other Federal Agencies. I got calls for entry level positions and didn't have to interview. When I got my next government job I started to going to school and using my post 9/11 bill.

POST 9/11 BILL:ahh: Brehs I'm telling you. That shyt pays for all my tuition and I got another $1500.00 a month. You can get more depending on where you live. I went to one of these for profit schools that got campuses in the area. The classes were stupid easy. Got my BA and then got my MBA from another online school. Used that to get a GS 9/11/12 position.

They way I see it is dudes go through all that bullshyt and don't take advantage of this shyt. I see it like these people owe me, so going take it

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
If you already have a degree you need to go in as an officer. Don't let anyone con you into enlisting first. Secondly this notion that you will be sent to the front lines to die is false. The belief that negroes were sent to die in mass in Vietnam is simply an urban legend throughout the black community. Of the 58,193 deaths in Vietnam only 7,264 of them were negroes. Liberals dingbats just used that meme to strengthen their base amongst blacks in the anti-war movement. You add in the fact the brothers returning were discriminated out of a job and there's a lost generation as far as military service. The military is the most liberal organization on Earth. The first corporation to desegregate. Out front in support of gay rights. It's the only organization where in mass black men and women and other minorities are in charge of entire companies. Only area I can see where minorities face discrimination in large numbers is in combat jobs.

Unfortunately the military breeds a lot of :duck: tellers. A lot of guys come back with their stories of fire fights and hand to hand combat tales. Most likely it's :duck: Even in the Army or Marines unless you do something combat related for the most part you won't see action especially in today's climate. There are people who do 20+ years and never deploy. Actually a fair amount of people do this. Medical fields almost guarantee you're in a hospital. Someone said it best. Join as an officer and do your 4 years and ride out. Or get Captain's Career Course and be guaranteed a GS-12 job on the outside. There's a lot of time and room as an officer to get your Master's degree. Couple that with being a Captain in the military and you are :win: whatever you decide to do.

:jawalrus: I can't disrespect my brothers in uniform. The sweat and blood my pops put in allowed me to go to Dartmouth :win:..Afforded this AC I'm enjoying. I will never shy away another brother from an opportunity to advance himself.

Mike Browns Job... now you go to Dartmouth? Whats goin on breh?

Glassomilk

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Sum Beach Sum Where
Did it myself. I'm about a year in & have no regrets so far. I'm in the Coast Guard stationed in the Florida Keys. :win: So it doesn't get much better than that. I have my bachelors in business administration. I joined cuz I had no commitments, no kids, the few interviews I had coming out of college really didn't interest me. Military sounded like an adventure and was a secure job. Besides that I'm making more $$$ than any of the jobs I interviewed for coming out of college.

I enlisted cuz my recruiter told me I wud have a better chance at later becoming an officer. But now that I've gone thru bootcamp & been in for a lil bit I really have no desire to go the officer route. I jus plan on doin my 4 yrs & then going back to school. Either for my masters or law school using my GI Bill.

I dunno. If I were to do it all over again I maybe would have applied to be an officer in a different branch. Prolly Navy. The Coast Guard is the most competitive to get into and even harder to get an officer position. Then again I currently get to live in whatever housing i want and ride around on small boats in paradise.

As for those ppl who say they wudnt serve their country cuz they don't agree wit whatever laws or beliefs then go pick a different country to live in and represent. The US is still the greatest country in the world, regardless of it's flaws.