would you join the military? why and why not?

Zapp Brannigan

Captain of the Nimbus
Daps
Reppin
DOOP
No, I wouldn't. I was on the verge of joining back in 2004 until Bush got reelected. I was an aerospace major then and I wanted to be a fighter pilot and eventually apply to NASA to become an astronaut. No joke. But I just can't handle the idea of killing someone in a war setting. I know myself extremely well and I know that I am very susceptible to getting PTSD or something of the like. No thanks. I would rather take a different route. Sometimes I sit back and wonder what my life would have been like if I had gone down this path, but things are the way that they are now and I love my life the way it is. I'm on an upward trajectory regardless, so I'm not going to complain.

BlackElitism

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Washington, DC
I'd join the navy or the Air Force. They still do the tuition thing right?

.....right?

I think it's called the "GI bill"

You also have tuition assistance which is $4500 a month. For the most part people don't even use most of it which is why it was almost taken away. The post 9/11 GI Bill is the greatest thing known to man. Research it.

imo nothing wrong with Air Force or Navy for blacks

Nothing wrong with any branch. There is more misinformation about the military amongst civilians than anything and especially more in the black community. :wow:

I'll speak on it later. I have clients :win:

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
You also have tuition assistance which is $4500 a month. For the most part people don't even use most of it which is why it was almost taken away. The post 9/11 GI Bill is the greatest thing known to man. Research it.

Nothing wrong with any branch. There is more misinformation about the military amongst civilians than anything and especially more in the black community. :wow:

aite come back man and let me know im interested in seein what you gotta say

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
No. I refuse, no matter how dire my circumstances may seem, to allow myself to be put in a position of defending/enforcing the ideals and ambitions of this unjust country.

Sweet

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL

4500 a yr

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
Really been considering joining the navy for next year.

what field you been thinknin about?

you gotta degree? whats yo current mindset? is it the last resort or more of a beneficial move

No. I refuse, no matter how dire my circumstances may seem, to allow myself to be put in a position of defending/enforcing the ideals and ambitions of this unjust country.

imma be honest

my whole life i would say about 90% of the people i talked to never was put in danger

most people clocked in and out like a regular job, but was provided more resources in the military compared to out here

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
I've thought about it but I think the risk outweighs the rewards. I've seen many people I knew in school come back and not be the same anymore mentally. Not to mention many of them end up in a worse financial situation then when they went in.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
what field you been thinknin about?
you gotta degree? whats yo current mindset? is it the last resort or more of a beneficial move
imma be honest
my whole life i would say about 90% of the people i talked to never was put in danger
most people clocked in and out like a regular job, but was provided more resources in the military compared to out here
There are military branches that don't put you in danger, or at least, are less dangerous.
Coast Guard.
Air Force
Navy

wutang512

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Yep I would join but only AirForce or Navy
My Pops did 22 yrs of service in the air force
1 of my uncles did 25 yrs and another uncle did 12yrs

None of them have regrets and the benefits from what Ive seen are pretty good.

From what I understand is this as long as you stay out of trouble and have common sense you can easily do 10+ yrs in the air force or more.

And of course pass your PT test.

Family Man

Banned
Daps

Why even live in Amerikkka then?

Bowie-disapproves.gif

What the fukk does that have to do with defending you CACs? Are you saying that we should go back to Africa if we're complaining about how America treats black people?

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
If you do it, go in as in an officer since you have a degree. And only sign for 4 years, and only do Air Force or Navy if you can.

Just look at it as an option. Guaranteed job and benefits, new experience, opens up your mind to different parts of the world, etc. You might like it. If you don't, I guarantee it won't be terrible (cannot make the same guarantee for the Army or Marines), and these days it's so easy to just get out since there are so many rollbacks (aka layoffs) due to the government budget.

King Poetic

I’m Washed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Nope

Guys/women come back home on 3 or 4 different medications, some can't even get back into society, the government don't rehab u like they say they do and not alot of vets can come back and work functionally in society..

go look at the homeless on your streets many are vets.