Would African Americans Returning to Rural Areas Help the Communities?

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Maybe but my Gullah relatives in rural South Carolina are not living all that great. :francis:

Jobs are scarce, wages are low, healthy food access and diet is abysmal, and there's still issues with people attacking each other though it's not on the same level as the inner cities.

However, moneyed and educated urban Black people reclaiming the suburbs and rural areas and investing in those communities will be a smart move for sure.
This is what I’m thinking about, because the land is cheaper. Blacks are the culture, so we could bring the fun wherever. There’s so much land that can be reclaimed. And a lot of it is being grabbed quickly.

I’ve seen it for myself. As cities begin to swell, they expand more and more beyond metro limits. There are areas that I thought would never be populated, that are now starting to become booming.

For instance, if anybody is familiar with Charlotte, NC. Charlotte as a city gets roughly 500 new people per day. To the south of Charlotte is a town called Rock Hill. When I tell u Rock Hill is becoming a major area because Charlotte is expanding there and Rock Hill is country as shyt. :wow: But in a few years, I guarantee it’s going to skyrocket.

Greenville, SC is another area like that. I can remember when Greenville was literally nothing. Now, it’s gorgeous and yep…you guessed it. Property is going to skyrocket there.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Seems like a good idea as long as skilled labor is moving with them.

Modern essentials will include copper wire drops for high-speed internet. Information technology services to keep up with current trends. Brazilian jiu-jitsu academies to keep up with modern self-defense trends. John wick schools.

Lastly and most importantly a no-nonsense policy on synthetic drugs. dealt with with extreme prejudice. A couple bad apples can easily spoil a bunch

Last edited:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
that's a strange idea. rural life removes access to most resources. i don't see that happening or helping unless a town is built rurally and grows from industry.
Depends on which rural areas you choose. In some ways, the issues in rural locations are eerily similar to what some blks endure in more populated cities…if not worse, like you mentioned.

So I definitely agree and think starting off in rural areas near larger cities could be a better starting point than going to try and set up shop in the Appalachian mountains in the middle of buttfukk nowhere.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
My family on my father side outside of Burgaw got about 5 miles worth of land on one road that started from when my great great grandfather was freed.
Got they own farm grow shyt and a few of my uncles and cousins driving log trucks making over a 100k a year. Even one cousin who is a professor at UNCW.
It can be done, if you lack excuses.
The 10 acres my grandmother passed down to my father he passing down to me and my sis.
This is something else that gets swept under the rug. Black people lose thousands of acres of land when elders die without a will.
Many of us have property, but just don’t know what to do with it and few resources to put it to go use.
I hate hearing about how blacks lose valuable land resources.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
aren’t rural areas filled with poverty?
I mean, yeah, so are major cities. Hell, people are literally camping out on sidewalks in major cities because they can’t afford basic housing. It’s just baffling to me that humanity is cramped in these city spaces and so much land is unused or underdeveloped.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
It’s only good for isolation
Blacks living in rural areas are doing the worst right now
Limited economic opportunity and too easy to be politically disenfranchised since voting districts get carved up
There has to be a solution to this…someone else bought this up too. It isn’t something that can be ignored if we being real.

:wow:

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Maybe but my Gullah relatives in rural South Carolina are not living all that great. :francis:

Jobs are scarce, wages are low, healthy food access and diet is abysmal, and there's still issues with people attacking each other though it's not on the same level as the inner cities.

However, moneyed and educated urban Black people reclaiming the suburbs and rural areas and investing in those communities will be a smart move for sure.

1) It's Geechie :ufdup:

2) Where at? The islands?

3) Cacs already taking over our areas in the lowcountry too :mjcry:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
You'd have to be on your Kutcher-Kunis tip and actually have the resources to transform the land around you. You just out there with a small shed and some livestock gone keep you stressed and probably end up abandoned. Plus you aint got good wifi so if you fall in a hole somewhere they might not find you for weeks.

I did a farm tour in Georgia for school and i didnt see many black families, but the families that were out there, you could tell it wasn't their sole property. They were also hustling and making money with secondary activities on the property besides just agriculture.
I don’t follow Kutcher-Kunis, but what they doin? Lemme go google them.

Yeah I don’t think it’s a cheap or easy endeavor. I’m just trying to pick ya’ll’s brains to identify major obstacles to blacks developing cheaper rural properties/communities. I’m part of a group of investors who is interested in doing something like this.

But they haven’t stopped there, as their goal is to secure up to 502 acres of land a little outside Toomsboro, Georgia. Per their website, a few pillars of the Freedom Georgia Initiative are “environmentally sustainable-living, health & wellness, agricultural & economic development, arts & culture.”

The company was created to provide a haven for Black families amid racial turmoil, a global pandemic, and financial frustration caused by American history and COVID-19. Finurah followed up with a spokesperson to see where the organization is now, and, in a nutshell, they’re still expanding and laying down the groundwork to exceed their goals.

“We are currently not set up as ‘working farm,'” a Freedom Farm spokesperson told Finurah. “We are still in pre-operations and working on soil amendments and capital raises. We are planning to raise $2.5 million over the next six months for a container operation for food-grade mushrooms.”
I wonder what obstacles they are encountering in this process.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
I couldn't help but think of my mother's roots in Madison county Florida. Being from Baltimore it's still wild for me to see a REAL rural black town with 2 stop lights and a homes with dirt driveways.

But like your gullah relatives that town is underdeveloped. No grocery stores, hospitals, and the nearest Walmart is a 35 minute drive on the highway to Valdosta.

No bars or restaurants but for fun you can get drunk at a family members house all day/night. Or drive an hour to Tallahassee for a night out
shyt man…there are so many rural communities in America that are majority black communities that are underdeveloped. Land is DIRT cheap too. So much potential. Currently trying to learn about barriers in these areas that discourage development.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
move back to cac central lands where youre harassed daily by cacs and lynchings are happening OP in rural areas??? :childplease: IJS...
I mean that’s happening in cities too…but as you and several others alluded to, it’s just as bad if not worse in rural areas.
You would be better off just leaving the country than living around a bunch of hillbilly cacs,small town police,or still living within white supremacy. One move is sacrificing,yet taking a stand. The other is downgrading comfortability for no real reason. Unless your someone who likes being secluded and living in a more natural environment. But that is not most of the community. But if you refuse to leave the country,yes this could be a better alternative. If you can guarantee you wouldnt be around a bunch of racist,in a town controlled by racist sheriffs:respect:
On a global level, it's not like black people don't hold land and farm. Whole nations are agriculture based that end up trading commodities for higher value good and services. That alone keeps them poor. Throw in everything else that the system does to them.

In this country you've got

Black people still being harassed off of their land.

And the US government STILL not offering financing.

I got extended family that owns land and still makes money from it - but just like Black elders in gentrifying neighborhoods - racism and capitalism has them other folks actively targeting them and taking their assets.

It's not through ignorance that our people lose their wealth in this country. Educated folks can't get jobs in their fields, or can't get the right pay, or can't move up. So human capital is taken.

And when it comes to intellectual capital, they take the lions share of music, film, and television. Even our slang, dances, and style are exploited. Ex. White people done took Nashville Hot Chicken and made more money on it than the original folks ever did.

As has been said plenty of times, we can't have anything.

So as any sort of mass movement back to the land - folks also need metal, drill presses, lathes, etc to manufacture "protection".

Without the private means to protect our property from the predation of others.....

Soooooo this shyt right here would be a real barrier I see. Safety. (Heavy negro sigh)

None of ya’ll are wrong…but there has to be solutions to this stuff.
As @WIA20XX mentioned, blacks have successfully created communities before that have been fukked over by outside sources.

I’m wondering what baby steps would need to be taken first to develop rural black communities and make them more attractive to investors.

Being cheaper will only go so far if you are fearing for your life because jealous poor racists have been indoctrinated to blame you for your minor successes to distract them from holding their own shytty leaders accountable for their country stagnating.

So how would enterprising potential black homesteaders get around this.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
i'm a beginning farmer. just started last year and got some grant money to work with. i'll let you know how it goes.

but idk, i am also native american and can say i make much more out of myself in the cities than all the so called benefits of rural res living
NICE! What are some steps you took to get the grant money? What are some pitfalls you’ve encountered along the way?