Wolf of Wall St.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Yes, we all have some culpability in all the things that happen in our lives....I was just addressing this notion that dude was nothing more than a good salesman and he did nothing wrong.

People spend 40+ (even 80+) hours a week analyzing stocks for a living, it's unreasonable to expect people with full time jobs and families to do the same. I don't say that to defend that fool's decision to throw 4 grand at a penny stock for a company he knows nothing about. I say that because at some point we all will have to rely on the word of analysts, we can't have those analysts telling bold faced lies.

This particular scene touches on a real issue with brokers. If they make 50% commission on one stock, and 1% on another they're obviously going to to push the stock that makes them more money. I don't think most legitimate firms have such drastic differences in commissions, but this eTrade commercial suggests there's some differences:

To me the biggest problem with the industry was illustrated by Matthew McConnagy (I know I butchered his name): Broker's main goal isn't to make you the most money, it's to keep you in the game. Keep investing, so he keeps making commissions. You get rich on paper, he gets rich with checks to blow on hookers, cars, and coke. He was dropping crazy game in that scene, best bit role I've seen in a movie in years
Matthew Mconaughey lowkey embodies the high rolling stockbroker better then anyone else in the movie

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

You don't remember that scene in the movie where they chanted that? Or are you looking for an explanation of the movie they referenced? It's called "Freaks" directed by Tod Browning (same cat who directed Frankenstein) and its about a circus performer who marries a circus midget to get his money (where he gets all the money from, who knows) and his "freak" friends get wind of her plot and they "make her one of us"

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The chant they're using, Leo and his boys used when they were talking about hiring the midgets.

It was funny and random as fukk to me.

It's called "Freaks" directed by Tod Browning (same cat who directed Frankenstein) and its about a circus performer who marries a circus midget to get his money (where he gets all the money from, who knows) and his "freak" friends get wind of her plot and they "make her one of us"

The midget got his money from an inheritance, an uncle of someone like that died.

The scene was at their wedding reception and they pretty much initiated her into their group despite her being normal.

vybzinc

#UCANTSEEME!
Daps
Told yall nikkas. :heh:

tumblr_mh45bcUH2V1qcx4xyo1_250.gif

tumblr_mh45bcUH2V1qcx4xyo2_250.gif

tumblr_mh45bcUH2V1qcx4xyo3_250.gif

tumblr_mh45bcUH2V1qcx4xyo4_250.gif

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, we all have some culpability in all the things that happen in our lives....I was just addressing this notion that dude was nothing more than a good salesman and he did nothing wrong.

People spend 40+ (even 80+) hours a week analyzing stocks for a living, it's unreasonable to expect people with full time jobs and families to do the same. I don't say that to defend that fool's decision to throw 4 grand at a penny stock for a company he knows nothing about. I say that because at some point we all will have to rely on the word of analysts, we can't have those analysts telling bold faced lies.

This particular scene touches on a real issue with brokers. If they make 50% commission on one stock, and 1% on another they're obviously going to to push the stock that makes them more money. I don't think most legitimate firms have such drastic differences in commissions, but this eTrade commercial suggests there's some differences:

To me the biggest problem with the industry was illustrated by Matthew McConnagy (I know I butchered his name): Broker's main goal isn't to make you the most money, it's to keep you in the game. Keep investing, so he keeps making commissions. You get rich on paper, he gets rich with checks to blow on hookers, cars, and coke. He was dropping crazy game in that scene, best bit role I've seen in a movie in years

This shyt was better explained in Trading Places and that shyt was a fictional comedy

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Breh, don't be slow, dude got an oscar nomination from it which alone will help him cash in millions in future

He playing chess not checkers with his movie roles

jonah hill explained on howard stern, he did the movie just to work with scorcese. he gets his paper from doing other movies like 22 jump street, where he'll really cash in.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I thought The Aviator as a whole got robbed. This movie's making waves but I still hold The Aviator as the best collaboration Marty and Leo have done.

I swear, the aviator doesn't get enough credit. it's probably my favorite scorsese/leo collaboration outside of this wolf of wall street. I thought it was phenomenal cuz howard hughes' life was truly fascinating. I HATED when the movie ended.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
he only got paid 60k for the movie? :ohhh:

yes, he said that on howard stern on 1-21-14 that is how much he got paid. also leo got paid more cuz his track record with bringing in the major bread with these big movies since titanic. and also leo was one of the producers of wolf of wall street. so he invested in the making of the movie. so u know he was gonna get broke off a huge salary.