"Woke" black people. Can we discuss these shirts, hashtags, and memes?

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
You're awkward and Black with or without the shirt, the only reason to wear such a tasteless shirt is to signal your "awkwardness" (I'm a safe Black) to white people without ever having to utter a word.

Black people who wear this shyt are doing it for safety and security because they're insecure.

"please notice my shirt and recognize that I'm one of the good Blacks"
I don't think that's the intention of these shirts. At least for me.

I don't wear any clothing for the approval of anyone white. White people could all die out for all I care. I feel it's just a shirt that shows a black woman embracing her quirkiness

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All they have to do is
1) Acknowledge white privilege
2) Like some black people stuff
And then they become "woke white bae" to these womens man...
shyt so fake
:wow:

This awkward black person trop has become so stale....and predictable. I'd rather be around "ghetto hoodrats" and "vicious thugs" that actually give a shyt about black people than uppity & pretentious new blacks just looking for white acceptance.

I blame social media. Black folk be doing too much on there sometimes man....made me not wanna post on twitter anymore cause black twitter and wokedness has become a commodity that's been bought and sold devoid of any true cause.

Well said on everything.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps

I don't wear any clothing for the approval of anyone white. White people could all die out for all I care. I feel it's just a shirt that shows a black woman embracing her quirkiness

I feel that's a very lazy and non-thoughtful analysis, Black people wear these shirts to signal a message to someone, they want someone to know they're "quirky" or "awkward" or "insecure".

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mentioned this on here before. These jokers with hashtags such as black girl magic (or black boy magic) and black girl melanin.

I hate that shyt.

Why you can just say beautiful black women. Or black is beautiful or intelligent black women. All of this was said in the past (straight forward no beating around the bush) not these passive agressive problack phrases.....jokers use on social media today.

These phrases sound like some shyt a 15 year old would use.

Last edited:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
But kitschy shirts/phrases/messages like this with these ironic to the point of gauche and tacky just seem to be utterly counterproductive.
To make it palatable to white people

Black Lives Matter has become easy language to get behind without any real work.

White people can post/say it and go back to being white and *poof* back to white world.

Harder to go to our neighborhoods and participate in fixing the fukkery we fight.

It's also a new "please massa don't hurt me...I wanna be down"

Young black people gonna learn the hard way; we don't need white people, that's been our downfall

Think about it; we ain't talking to black people when we say #BLM...plus I notice #BLM stay on black men

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds

That's coo for you but I feel like 95% of the black women who wear that shirt exclusively date white men.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I mentioned this on here before. These jokers will hashtags such as black girl magic (or black boy magic) and black girl melanin.

I hate that shyt.

Why you can just say beautiful black women. Or black is beautiful or intelligent black women. All of this was said in the past (straight forward no beating around the bush) not these passive agressive problack phrases.....jokers use on social media today.

These phrases sound like some shyt a 15 year old would use.
Look, I will not say I'm trying to cater to white sensitivity...

BUT

If you're in this system you HAVE to be smarter about strategy.

It WILL backfire on you.

BLM becomes All/Blue/WHITE lives matter

#BlackGirlMagic becomes #WhiteSurvivualMagic or some other alt-right shyt.

If you're gonna jump out the window you have to account for the counter-attack

White supremacists are feeling way more emboldened right now. You can't just ignore their "say" in these affairs.

That shyt doesn't help us when they wonder "why can't we do XYZ"

If you're gonna move a movement, do it in a way that people can't use against you.

Phrases are among the worst way to do this.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
That's coo for you but I feel like 95% of the black women who wear that shirt exclusively date white men.
and the celebs who wear that are generally of the type that feel they've "bought out" of white supremacy. They've got the money and safety to wear those little sayings with no backlash. Its all cute to them

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I feel that's a very lazy and non-thoughtful analysis, Black people wear these shirts to signal a message to someone, they want someone to know they're "quirky" or "awkward" or "insecure".
Its always:

(insert emotion) and WOKE

or

(insert hobby) and BLACK

It is just trolling and cringeworthy.

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
no, this thread just has too much realness for you

and that's what's embarrassing
Or maybe this thread is full of projections and reaches. Notice that everyone here is going in on these people and giving thier whole (probably incorrect) life story off of what they assume to be the reasoning for wearing a t shirt.

Coli posters will link anything to asking for white acceptance no matter whether it's the case or not.

1.) When people wear stuff that says "I'm awkward and I'm black" it doesn't mean "I'm a special snowflake uppity black person that looks down on everyone else please white people accept me" like I've seen coli posters in this very thread assume

If these people had a T-shirt that said "I'm awkward" or "I'm xyz" without the "I'm black part" coli posters would STILL assume they are on that :mjpls: trying to hide their blackness and for proof look for any thread on this site on black women into cosplay or whatever alt shyt and you will see them saying the same thing.

We live in an individualistic society where everyone wants to show themselves to the world. What if the people wearing it are trying to say "I'm xyz way but I'm still proud of my blackness and not on that :mjpls:" ? That is the exact OPPOSITE meaning than the one being pushed

2.) People on this board say terms such as "black photographer" all the time and we know being black and being a photographer are not mutually exclusive.

3.) Also isn't "I'm awkward, I'm black" a reference to the web-series Awkward Black Girl:gucci: the show is a hit here and this seems like the most straightforward way of referencing the show on merchandise. Why are we even trying to go so in-depth with this?

This just seems to be searching for something to be vexed with black people over

Last edited:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This is a reach. Before insecure Issa Rae had a web series titled Awkward Black girl. The shirt is literally a reference to that show :francis:
And?

Part of the reason I resisted ever checking for that show was because of the title.

Its like, who are you trying to appeal to right now?

I like Insecure, but some of these titles are fukking low-brow and denigrating.

Black-ish is luckily a great show, in lieu of the name.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
This is a reach. Before insecure Issa Rae had a web series titled Awkward Black girl. The shirt is literally a reference to that show :francis:

we're speaking about the catalyst of her referring to herself as "awkward Black girl". My opinion is that it's to appeal to white folks and to signal that she's different from other Black people.

Woman of god

Banned
Daps
And?

Part of the reason I resisted ever checking for that show was because of the title.

Its like, who are you trying to appeal to right now?

I like Insecure, but some of these titles are fukking low-brow and denigrating.

Black-ish is luckily a great show, in lieu of the name.
I think it's much ado about nothing. She created the show based on the sometimes uncomfortable experiences she had meeting new ppl, which can sometimes lead to awkward situations. Of all the grievances to hang ur hat on, the unimaginative title of a web series seems pretty miniscule