"Woke" black people. Can we discuss these shirts, hashtags, and memes?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
There are black people who despite the color of their skin try to minimize their blackness or draw attention away from it to appease and/or appeal to whites and other non-blacks. These actions are harmful to us all, they give the impression that we don't value ourselves and give credence to the various stereotypes and racist imagery being promoted by racists. This is why we have self affirming statements, such as black is beautiful, black power, etc. This is a war waged on our body and mind as well as the minds of non-blacks. When non-black individuals see a black person who is unapologetic-ally black by way of their non-mainstream attire or hair, etc, it signifies that they have pride in themselves and their people. There no such thing as OVER-woke. You know whats counter productive? Campaigning for other blacks to tone it down when racist propaganda hasn't let up one damn bit. Battles are being fought on all fronts, there's levels to this shyt.
I think this strategy isn't smart.

If your strategy involves a direct response by way of whites doing the same with their "shirts" then you lost.

Theres no leverage or exclusivity to the message.

IF you do what anyone else can do, you're not showing anything you have over the people you're trying to send a message to.

Thats why in the past, we had organizers to regulate this shyt. When you're executing a movement, you need strategy and plans with clear rollouts and targets.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
it's especially bad for Black women because white men can eat so easily off these types. All they gotta do is wear a man bun and express even the faintest interest and these women are prepared to fukk them all the way to the promised land all while holding great contempt for Black men they only love in a non-literal sense.
All they have to do is
1) Acknowledge white privilege
2) Like some black people stuff
And then they become "woke white bae" to these womens man...
shyt so fake
:wow:

I'm an Awkward Black Girl/Nerdy Black Man = Look at me white people, I'm not ghetto hoodrat or a vicious thug
This awkward black person trop has become so stale....and predictable. I'd rather be around "ghetto hoodrats" and "vicious thugs" that actually give a shyt about black people than uppity & pretentious new blacks just looking for white acceptance.

i agree with the sentiment of this thread. this girl asked me if I was woke the other day and I said nah. Am I socially aware of the issues black ppl face, maybe. Nut not woke. That woke shyt is corny/ played
I blame social media. Black folk be doing too much on there sometimes man....made me not wanna post on twitter anymore cause black twitter and wokedness has become a commodity that's been bought and sold devoid of any true cause.

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
I agree that these shirts are trash and counterproductive.

It's usually the "Black people didn't accept me because I listened to rock music" nikkas on this tip. Wild shyt is that they're actually appealing to White people on some "I'm not like those other Blacks" type shyt.

:francis:
:ohhh: Is that you Matt, when did you become a good poster again

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
All they have to do is
1) Acknowledge white privilege
2) Like some black people stuff
And then they become "woke white bae" to these womens man...
shyt so fake
:wow:

This awkward black person trop has become so stale....and predictable. I'd rather be around "ghetto hoodrats" and "vicious thugs" that actually give a shyt about black people than uppity & pretentious new blacks just looking for white acceptance.

I blame social media. Black folk be doing too much on there sometimes man....made me not wanna post on twitter anymore cause black twitter and wokedness has become a commodity that's been bought and sold devoid of any true cause

:francis:

:mjlol:

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
What's wrong with wearing a t-shirt that says I'm awkward and black when I'm just that? That's basically self acceptance

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
There are black people who despite the color of their skin try to minimize their blackness or draw attention away from it to appease and/or appeal to whites and other non-blacks. These actions are harmful to us all, they give the impression that we don't value ourselves and give credence to the various stereotypes and racist imagery being promoted by racists. This is why we have self affirming statements, such as black is beautiful, black power, etc. This is a war waged on our body and mind as well as the minds of non-blacks. When non-black individuals see a black person who is unapologetic-ally black by way of their non-mainstream attire or hair, etc, it signifies that they have pride in themselves and their people. There no such thing as OVER-woke. You know whats counter productive? Campaigning for other blacks to tone it down when racist propaganda hasn't let up one damn bit. Battles are being fought on all fronts, there's levels to this shyt.
I feel what you're saying but actions speak louder than words. I don't need to rock a bunch of pro-black flair to let non-blacks know how "woke" I am. My actions let people know I'm unapologetically black. I don't have to wear anything to show that off.

How old are some of y'all? You have to be in college to be on this type of steez. I already can tell your posts just read l;ike a damn huffpost think piece. No disrespect. But there's more to being "unapologetically black" than this...

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
What's wrong with wearing a t-shirt that says I'm awkward and black when I'm just that? That's basically self acceptance

You're awkward and Black with or without the shirt, the only reason to wear such a tasteless shirt is to signal your "awkwardness" (I'm a safe Black) to white people without ever having to utter a word.

Black people who wear this shyt are doing it for safety and security because they're insecure.

"please notice my shirt and recognize that I'm one of the good Blacks"

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Most of those shirts with any kind of sayings or phrases on them are solely for attention. Seems like people only wear shyt like that to be viewed as different or to stir up controversy. You know everyone nowadays gotta act like they activists for something or making a difference somehow. It's the same as when people change their facebook profile pictures to "Pray for ____" when a disaster happens or some dumb shyt like that.
Yep.

Deray a real sell-out man.
Why this guy got corporate sponsors like PAtagonia that are obviously white-owned when he's trying to be a pro-black revolutionary?
Where does he get his funding from?
I used to support this guy until I read into him, now I just find him really suspicious.
I don't care about him being gay, I care abiout this dude obviously being propped up as a puppet with BLM being used as counter opposition.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
It's all mental masturbation and it almost always fails to be constructive, because everyone present is more concerned with proving that they're more intelligent/woke/informed than their Black brothers/sisters. No one is interested in listening, they're all talking over each other because there's no room for anyone to be wrong when they all believe they're right. It's a big fukking waste of time and all it does is turn off Black onlookers who will eventually find the shyt to be overwhelming and exhausting.
Bruh this right here is exactly why I gave up on a lot of "conscious" shyt years ago.

That whole woke circle provides a haven for a lot of nikkas that couldn't find one to fit in growing up. The types who never "felt Black enough". The types who felt rejected. They mask them insecurities in pro-Blackness but all it takes is the right trigger and the next thing you know it's

"Black men are trash"
:mjpls:

"Nignogs"

And some mo shyt. That's why as far as I'm concerned the "Hoteps" and the "Shea Butters" are all too sides of the same coin.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
it implies that you have to advertise that you're "more than black" you're also capable of other human emotions like "being awkward"

Its fukking stupid.

You're only doing that to tell the world black people have emotions.

Well yeah. BLACK people know that.

Unless you're not doing that to tell black people :mjpls:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Bruh this right here is exactly why I gave up on a lot of "conscious" shyt years ago.

That whole woke circle provides a haven for a lot of nikkas that couldn't find one to fit in growing up. The types who never "felt Black enough". The types who felt rejected. They mask them insecurities in pro-Blackness but all it takes is the right trigger and the next thing you know it's

"Black men are trash"

"Nignogs"

And some mo shyt. That's why as far as I'm concerned the "Hoteps" and the "Shea Butters" are all too sides of the same coin.

The "Hoteppers" who use white supremacist lingo like "nignog" and "we wuz Kangz" are the absolute worst, I try not to advocate for violence against Black people but they definitely fit the bill to be met with violence.

:manny: