"Woke" black people. Can we discuss these shirts, hashtags, and memes?

Daps
If you're wearing a shirt with a message on it, you're sending a message. If you're wearing a shirt that says "I'm Black and awkward", I refuse to believe you're just "wearing it to wear it", the shyt reeks of insecurity and the point of wearing the shirt is to signal to other people that you're "different".

I'm not policing what Black people are or what they wear, I simply take issue with the dishonesty, I take issue with a Black person wearing a shirt that says "I'm different" and then telling me that they're not wearing it to assert to others that they're different. If you're wearing a shirt that is a description of who you purport yourself to be, it's not a stretch for me to assume that your intent is to mitigate the risk of people making assumptions about your personality or behavior, this doesn't stop people from making assumptions about why you need to signal to strangers who you are.

Just curious, what is your take on the "educated black girl" shirts? Do you have an issue with those?

blalienz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Right now, nowhere
Like all things we gave light to and was initially powerful. It has been shared and is now perverted into a monetary avenue. Hotep is now an insult, our women are calling us ashy kangz, woke is now a meme.
Pro black is now =too militant = angry black man = not taken serious and must have afro and ak 47.
Militant is now an insult.
Intersectional is for every correlated grouping......except where it intersects for Black Men and Black Women...nah it's a broken line then:patrice:.
We wasted an opportunity. It will be 50-90 years before another generation stands up....unfortunately the only historical record and books to reference will be on fems, Trans, and BLM....those kids are gonna be like
":why:how the fukk were they planning on getting liberation with this shyt?"
Pisses me the fukk off. They complain about white people taking our names/words and turning it into a negative or insult(and fukk them forever for that), and stupid "nikkaS" run around and do the same fukking thing

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
There's a lot of this reaching going on in this thread and some of y'all doing the most.
Not everything is for white approval. Some people like to express them. Other like the attention of people. Hell, some people even do it for work.
It's all about knowing the person and their intent behind what they do, not making baseless assumptions. Let them speak.

However on personal note, some of this stuff is real kinda on tacky side :ld:

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
There's a lot of this reaching going on in this thread and some of y'all doing the most.
Not everything is for white approval. Some people like to express them. Other like the attention of people. Hell, some people even do it for work.
It's all about knowing the person and their intent behind what they do, not making baseless assumptions. Let them speak.

However on personal note, some of this stuff is real kinda on tacky side :ld:
Yeah this about sums it up for me also.