With Nigeria's demise imminent, which SSA country has the chance to reach superpower status?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Not that I think Somalia is a potential "super power."

But population is incredibly deceptive given there are more Somalis outside of Somalia than inside of it.

Also has some of the best terrain in Africa.
the most liberal estimates i've seen have the Somali global diaspora at 2 million with Somalia have less than 16 million people.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
sorry the population is too low in Somalia to project any power outside East Africa/Middle East. yall have your somaliland issue and al shabab issue too

Since when was population a major issue? :what:

A small island called England colonized half the world at one point. :what:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
the most liberal estimates i've seen have the Somali global diaspora at 2 million with Somalia have less than 16 million people.

There are probably 3 million Somalis in Kenya alone not counting the rest of Africa, Europe and USA/Canada.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
are Kenyan Somalis those that happened to live there when the state boundaries was drawn or those that left Somalia?
and even so unless there are millions of Somalis in the Arab countries there still no way there are more Somalis outside Somalia because there aren't millions of Somalis in the West.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
are Kenyan Somalis those that happened to live there when the state boundaries was drawn or those that left Somalia?
and even so unless there are millions of Somalis in the Arab countries there still no way there are more Somalis outside Somalia because there aren't millions of Somalis in the West.

Tons of ethnic Somalis in places like Yemen, UAE, South Africa, etc and of course not counting Djibouti (who really are just Somalis) and Ethiopia.

Probably touching 8-10 million when you add it all up.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

Eithiopia, Dijbouti, and Kenya combined already have about 10 million Somalis outside Somalia.

Combine that with the Somalis outside Africa and that's about equal or slightly more than the country itself.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Tons of ethnic Somalis in places like Yemen, UAE, South Africa, etc and of course not counting Djibouti (who really are just Somalis) and Ethiopia.

Probably touching 8-10 million when you add it all up.

Eithiopia, Dijbouti, and Kenya combined already have about 10 million Somalis outside Somalia.

Combine that with the Somalis outside Africa and that's about more than the country itself.
so not a true diaspora, just people who had their lands bisected by artificial borders:jbhmm:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
so not a true diaspora, just people who had their lands bisected by artificial borders:jbhmm:

It's the European's fault for creating such borders. Many ethnic groups are not confined to one country.

For example, Hausas may be associated with Nigeria, but they also have large populations in Niger, Ghana, Senegal, Cameroon, etc since they're nomads.

Diaspora

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
It's the European's fault for creating such borders. Many ethnic groups are not confined to one country.

For example, Hausas may be associated with Nigeria, but they also have large populations in Niger, Ghana, Senegal, Cameroon, etc since they're nomads.
the Hausa should leave Nigeria and merge with Niger:camby:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
personally i wouldn't consider them a diaspora since they never "left" Somalia:yeshrug:
a pan Somali makes sense to me personally

Well yeah, I'm just saying their numbers are deceptive especially since Somalis are known for being serious about remittances and their business acumen.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip