With Nigeria's demise imminent, which SSA country has the chance to reach superpower status?

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't think any black country has a chance to be a superpower. But I'm fine with that, I'd rather have several black countries with a standard of living that's comparable to Western nations. Being a superpower is expensive and attracts too much attention.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
As of right now... none. 10-30yrs from now :yeshrug:

Tanzania is on a good track

I also disagree with the Tanzania kick some of yall are on.

To be a superpower, you have to have an imperial mindset and I don't ever see Tanzania being expansionist.

A country like Ethiopia on the other hand....

Either way, like I keep telling yall...this is an impossible question to even begin to answer.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I also disagree with the Tanzania kick some of yall are on.

To be a superpower, you have to have an imperial mindset and I don't ever see Tanzania being expansionist.

A country like Ethiopia on the other hand....

Either way, like I keep telling yall...this is an impossible question to even begin to answer.

Yeah I forgot this thread was talking about superpowers. I was thinking mor of "African country that will have their shyt together"

And I absolutely agree.. shyt is an impossible question. Got too many changes coming down the line.

Daps
Reppin
Stoic disciples
You guys always over-rate Tanzania. Their president is crazy authoritarian just type President Magufuli on google and see all the news stories criticizing him for arresting half the nation. And whats all this talk of industrialization, Ethiopia and Kenya have waaay more Industrial parks. I don't know what hypnotic love potions got you guys so hooked on Tanzania.

John Magufuli is bulldozing the opposition and wrecking the economy
https://www.economist.com/news/midd...-work-tanzania-last-time-either-john-magufuli

Daps
Reppin
Stoic disciples
From the Economist.

CRITICALLY ill in a hospital in Nairobi, Tundu Lissu, the chief whip of Tanzania’s main opposition party, Chadema, is a lesson to those who would criticise the Tanzanian president, John Magufuli (pictured). On September 7th Mr Lissu was gunned down in broad daylight near his house in the sleepy administrative capital, Dodoma, after returning from a session in parliament. The attempted assassination came just two weeks after he was arrested—for the sixth time—for such things as insulting the president. It is not clear who was behind the attack. A month later, the government has yet to make any arrests. Mr Lissu had previously complained about being followed, and said he worried he might be killed. “This cowardly attack on one of Tanzania’s most fearless and prominent politicians raises concerns about the safety of all dissident voices in the country, at a time when space for dissent is quickly shrinking,” said Amnesty International, a human-rights group.

Tanzania, a country of 55m people on the East African coast, is rarely seen as one of Africa’s problem cases. Unlike Congo, Uganda or Burundi, it has never had a civil war or a military dictatorship. And although its elections have never once ousted the party (and its predecessor) that has governed Tanzania since independence in 1962, nor are they especially bloody affairs. Yet over the past two years, since the election of John Magufuli, Tanzania’s descent into autocracy has been stunning. It is a lesson in how when the presidency is strong and other institutions are weak, a single bad leader can set a country back many years.

The attack on Mr Lissu occurred in an atmosphere of intensifying political repression. Opposition rallies have been banned for almost a year on spurious security grounds. Dozens of people have been arrested for insulting the president on internet chat groups under a cybercrimes law. Even musicians have not escaped the rap.
https://www.economist.com/news/midd...-work-tanzania-last-time-either-john-magufuli

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
It's none of them to be honest unless Blacks in America end white supremacy as the rule of the global land.

Black people in America are the only ones who can change Africans faith but it won't be by business

Blacks in America aint ending anything.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
You guys always over-rate Tanzania. Their president is crazy authoritarian just type President Magufuli on google and see all the news stories criticizing him for arresting half the nation. And whats all this talk of industrialization, Ethiopia and Kenya have waaay more Industrial parks. I don't know what hypnotic love potions got you guys so hooked on Tanzania.

You being Kenyan obviously see Tanzania as a rival. No duh Kenya has more industrial parks(always had a bigger economy). But unlike Kenya industrialization seems to be Tanzania's main goal.

And there are many articles on Magufuli saying the opposite. No one is overhyping Tanzania or saying it would be a superpower but that for NOW they are following a good path.

Also your article doesnt go into detail on how he is tanking the economy besides bringing up the mining tax. Who many predicted would be retaliation.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
As other have said, none of them is close to a superpower. Regional power would be the better question.

Or maybe which one will be invited to be a part of the G8 or G20.

South Africa is already a member of the G20. And the G20 also invites the chairperson of the African Union.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I was agreeing with you in that post man :skip:

WS ends when this country get's glassed. The west will have lost it's military might at that point...reason what the eu wants to create a eu army. Which won't work....

I KNOW you agreed. I was just pointing out that while we cant topple it we can possbily escape it.