Will there be another Golden Age in Black Film???

Will there be another Golden Age in Black Film???

• Total voters

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
You do realize without The Wire those shows wouldn't exist. :sas1:

And the only show that started after Luther ended is True Detective. :sas2:

Without the Wire there wouldn't be Game of Thrones or House of Cards? :usure:

aa_2001

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Without the Wire there wouldn't be Game of Thrones or House of Cards? :usure:
No. The Wire (and The Sopranos) were integral in shaping the landscape of television today and paved the way for shows like the ones you mentioned.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Much Respect to Antoine Fuqua; who I often forget to cite for a great Black Director:salute:

...all his quality films, makes bank at the box-office:myman:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
:snoop: @ this being true

As long as there are young black directors with a fresh imagination and young black actors that are willing to expand the limitations of the past, there is hope.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with @En Sabah Nur on the Hollywood front. Those young black directors, actors, writers, etc stand little to no chance of breaking through. As I have heard from someone before, black films and shows have pretty much been segregated. You'll see hollywood doing the same type of "black" movies, over and over again.

Those same directors you mention will have to go independent, create their own distribution, or go through different channels altogether. However, I'm questioning if those folks, or even the veterans, are even willing to do such a thing.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Is that supposed to be new information or something. :why:

Fresh, Ray, The Pursuit of Happyness... all directed by white men. 25th Hour, Hunger, King Arthur... all directed by black men. So what?
Because the original conversation was about black people making their own shows. :leostare:

aa_2001

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because the original conversation was about black people making their own shows. :leostare:
There's more to making a show or film than being the creator. Also, the post I responded to cited The Eric Andre Show as an example of an original black show and two of the three creators are non-black.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Unfortunately, I have to agree with @En Sabah Nur on the Hollywood front. Those young black directors, actors, writers, etc stand little to no chance of breaking through. As I have heard from someone before, black films and shows have pretty much been segregated. You'll see hollywood doing the same type of "black" movies, over and over again.

Those same directors you mention will have to go independent, create their own distribution, or go through different channels altogether. However, I'm questioning if those folks, or even the veterans, are even willing to do such a thing.

Yeah, Guess the Generation Y of actors gotta pave their own way because Hollywood ain't gonna let talented young black actors like they did back in the 70s to 90s.

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Regardless of if you enjoy their work, it's good to see black producers doing their thing in the mainstream

Shonda Rhimes - Producer for Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder...Got two more series coming to ABC(The Catch, Still Star-Crossed)

Lee Daniels - Producer for the smash hit Empire. Has a second series coming to Fox

Will Smith - Has so many projects in development as a producer. What drops when, we gon' see.

Tyler Perry - Has two shows currently running on OWN(he saved the network from hard times with his previous OWN shows)

Will Packer - Man behind last year's breakout Ride Along and this Years Straight Outta Compton among other films. Has one show currently on network tv(Truth Be Told) with two more series on the way

Ice Cube
- Producer of Ride Along, Straight Outta Compton and the forthcoming Ride Along 2. He also resurrected Barbershop and Is producing another Tim Story directed film afterwards

F. Gary Gray - Director and Producer of Straight Outta Compton. Will be directing the 8th film in the Fast and Furious franchise

50 Cent - Producer of highest rated show on Starz. Inked a deal with the channel to produce other works, and has another show coming to Fox

Oprah Winfrey - Has two tv shows currently in pre-production(one co-produced with Ava DuVernay) which will launch on her OWN network(double entendre, don't even ask me how)

I would like to reiterate the breh who said to visit the black indie film thread, for the people not on the radar. A lot of good stuff in there.

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/black-art-independent-films.135608/

Hopefully the folks in this thread make it to the same level.