Will there be another Golden Age in Black Film???

Will there be another Golden Age in Black Film???

• Total voters

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
Good post

BUT

I don't think it will ever get to a point where an all black cast is viewed the same as an all white cast. White people will always look at it as being a "Black" film. That's their white privelege

They have the privelege of being the Default race

It all depends on the setting/plot and the actor/actress. Denzel Washington, Idris Elba, Forrest Whittaker, Morgan Freeman can make you forget its a black film. Whitney Houston was able to do the same thing, too.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It all depends on the setting/plot and the actor/actress. Denzel Washington, Idris Elba, Forrest Whittaker, Morgan Freeman can make you forget its a black film. Whitney Houston was able to do the same thing, too.

Mostly because they don't play roles that are defined by race. Obviously Denzel did earlier in his career and Morgan to an extent too but they've been able to rise above that role by being great actors who don't subscribe to stereotypes. I'd put Don Cheadle in that category as well

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
Mostly because they don't play roles that are defined by race. Obviously Denzel did earlier in his career and Morgan to an extent too but they've been able to rise above that role by being great actors who don't subscribe to stereotypes. I'd put Don Cheadle in that category as well

Also, Sanaa Lathan, Nia Long, and even Tamala Jones.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
jaime too

Jaime Foxx? He's not very good.

Also, Ice Cube says its a slow and painful process to get a movie green lit.

Romantic comedies will always be around.

But serious black dramas, where you forgot it is a black drama needs some like a Hughes Bros., John Singleton, Spike Lee, or Peebles to come on the scene.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Jaime Foxx? He's not very good.

Also, Ice Cube says its a slow and painful process to get a movie green lit.

Romantic comedies will always be around.

But serious black dramas, where you forgot it is a black drama needs some like a Hughes Bros., John Singleton, Spike Lee, or Peebles to come on the scene.

Well regardless of ones opinion of dude he's an oscar winner and he's transcended to the level where he isn't just a "black" actor

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
The Strange Thing About The Johnsons is an excellent example of an all black cast where race isn't even a factor. It also goes at a subject that's barely touched on in movies at all. It was refreshing to me. After googling, I learned the director was white but still the all black cast thing stands. There are definitely directors out there but I don't know about a "Golden Age".

About Jamie Foxx, I haven't really been sold on him as an actor since Ray.

Last edited: