Will there be another Golden Age in Black Film???

Will there be another Golden Age in Black Film???

• Total voters

The Don

The Illest
Daps
Reppin
P-Town
Not as long as people like Tyler Perry are around but I'd watch out for the dudes who directed Fruitvale Station and 12 years a slave...their other work has been pretty good

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Not as long as people like Tyler Perry are around but I'd watch out for the dudes who directed Fruitvale Station and 12 years a slave...their other work has been pretty good

Yeah Steve McQueen aside from 12 years a slave, doesn't seem interested in the same type of stories that Spike was interested in early in his career. He's done Shame, Hunger, and 12 years and even that isn't similar to Do the Right Thing. And the guy who did Fruitvale is working on Creed next, so I don't know if they're cut from the same cloth as Spike, Singleton, Matty Rich or the Hughes Brothers. Same material, but a different cloth

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
i don't believe it will happen, there will be a latino (the new minority to market to) golden age in film before another black age. media is in a bad place, you don't have the freedom you once had so if it doesn't make business sense, it's not getting done. i hate the lack of black films, but i'm more hurt by the lack of black shows, it's really annoying having so little representation of me and my experience on tv.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I'm hoping there will be a renaissance in black filmmaking soon. Hopefully Dear White People can jumpstart that

Imo the last Golden Age in black filmmaking was the 90s (especially early to mid 90s)

What yall think?
I wish i could go back in time and pimp slap myself for saying this smh

That pitiful deceptive movie :snoop:

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
These "Golden Ages" only happened at a time when nikkas were pissed at their lack of success and how America treated them. From Sweet Sweetback to Rosewood, we were telling our story. If there is gonna be another "golden age", they'd have to be films like The Wood which show black people as regular, relatable human beings. Not historical figures, slaves, gangsters, people with just ill intent in general.

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
i don't believe it will happen, there will be a latino (the new minority to market to) golden age in film before another black age. media is in a bad place, you don't have the freedom you once had so if it doesn't make business sense, it's not getting done. i hate the lack of black films, but i'm more hurt by the lack of black shows, it's really annoying having so little representation of me and my experience on tv.

:yeshrug:

I'd rather see more original black shows, like The Eric Andre Show, not the generic shyt that BET and OWN airs. Why can't black folk make a show that's on the same level of quality as House of Cards, Game of Thrones, or True Detective?

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
:yeshrug:

I'd rather see more original black shows, like The Eric Andre Show, not the generic shyt that BET and OWN airs. Why can't black folk make a show that's on the same level of quality as House of Cards, Game of Thrones, or True Detective?
money.funds. support. distribution etc

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Hollywood does not need you nikkas anymore.
They were once intrigued by the freshness of the black culture, but have since learned it, integrated parts of it into their culture, and discarded the remains.

we got scandal. mary jane. the new black lady show on abc. we still got the affair/creeping/sleep with some one husband aspect working for the black women in america

TRIPLE M

This is Where the Power Lies
Daps
golden age of black film was the 70s:beli:

know your film history brehs:Hulk Hogan You FD Up: