Will Smith and Antoine Fuqua Team on Runaway Slave Thriller ‘Emancipation’

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I don't think Fuqua has made a good movie in like 20 years. I'll check and confirm. Wait, I would say I mostly loved Brooklyn's Finest, he did great work on that, but increasingly, his movies just became pure action.

I have nothing against Will, certainly not for a 'slap", ever, but these types of movies tend not to interest me, on a level of actually wanting to watch. I think the last one I saw was "12 Years A Slave", and I think that was enough. They can be important, they can be exploitive, they can be incredible art, and I support it, I just don't always want to watch.

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
The last time we saw him play anything close to an a$$hole was Hancock, but he couldn't let go of the love over vengeance trope that he clings onto. As the avid reader that he claims to be, he needs to understand how you can have a love story that hangs on the a$$hole's every move/line instead of doing the opposite every time. Casablanca is goated not because love wins, but rather, because logic trumps puny wants and wishes.

This is the same reasons Star Wars (the originals) blew up...its a space opera, its okay if Luke is kinda of a dikk. Same with Rocky, a love story doesn't have to dominate all else, its incorporated wisely...Smith is just too much of a one note pony to understand that. More God of War less Notebook.

And Hancock was one of the most :mjpls: movies Hollywood has ever created. Will was nuts to take the role.

Firstly Hancock played by Will is a superhero that screws up every time he tries to help anyone. Causing collateral damage by crashing into buildings, bridges, destroying roads, etc..

So to help his public image and straighten himself out a white dude suggests that he should go to prison to pay for the societal damage :mjpls:

Not publicly apologize and retire for awhile

Not go to therapy

Go to prison. A black superhero needs to go to prison to fix himself :mjpls:

So he goes and the normal stupidity ensues, he comes out changed, and he runs into a white woman with powers played by Charlize Theron :mjpls:

Who says that they've been soulmates for thousands of years but when they're together they become mortal and lose their powers :mjpls:

So they decide to stay apart and she goes back to her white husband and Hancock leaves :mjpls:

Last edited:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Out on apple tv and the streets!!!

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
All the reviews are straight TRASHING this flick, saying the only thing good is Will’s performance…

I’ma check out this evening. Although i’m kind of tired of slavery films in general I wanna support Fuqua and Will
Support a slavery flick over Wakanda Forever :picard:

And sadly that has been the case for most Will Smith movies the last 10 to 15+ years. Only BB3 and King Richard werent.