Will Smith and Antoine Fuqua Team on Runaway Slave Thriller ‘Emancipation’

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I really feel like he's self deluded enough to think this was the type of movie he needed to redeem himself with after his persecution from hollywood. A little too on the nose for someone suffering from main character syndrome Will :pachaha:

Thats how im reading it also, it feels desperate

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Great movie :wow:

Easily Antoine Fuqua's best movie on a technical level.

One of Will's best acting performances.

The part where Will
gets saved I had a horrible feeling it would be a cac that saved him and was ready to switch off, but when they showed it was the black soldiers :salute:

People calling this trash but dikksucked The Revenant and Django :mjpls:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I really can’t believe will smith of all people is doing a slave movie lol

Slavery flick...unless it's about a violent rebellion gonna have to pass :francis:

It's not really a slave movie.

It's more a survival action thriller war movie. It's just set during slavery times with that as the backdrop.

It's like if you combined The Revenant, The Fugitive and Rambo together you get this movie.

Even the slavery backdrop felt more Prisoner of War because when Will was captured there were bombs going off.

And after a certain point in the movie Will actually starts killing cacs and some c00ns without being prompted to or aided by white people or any sort of white character/savior.

In fact the movie has ZERO White Saviors at all which shocked me.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am just done watching this movie. Surprisingly, this movie is good and I enjoyed it. Will killed this role. He would have probably gotten Oscar nominations for this role if he didn't slap Chris Rock at the Oscar Awards show.

This is not a typical slave movie you would think but set during slavery times. No white Savior in this movie at all.

Fuqua did a great job with this movie.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Dope movie. It was really sad what his wife had to endure to keep the fam together.

I like how the onions were used too. That breh thought Peter was mad, but he soon regretted not following his advice. I read about the onion technique in a narrative written by an enslaved person during those times.

That battlefield scene was the best I’ve ever seen from the civil war era, hyper-realistic.