Will Smith and Antoine Fuqua Team on Runaway Slave Thriller ‘Emancipation’

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey

Yeah seconded on that opinion. Tired of seeing slave movies where we don't clap back and get away with it. I've got appletv so I'll wait til it comes out and decide for myself. But my expectations are on the floor.
But Django isn't really the hero of the story. That German cac is. The only reason Django goes on that killing spree towards the end is because the German refused to "play nice". Django didn't want to kill those cacs until the plot forced him to. I wouldn't have taken that role either. A slave revenge film where the titular character takes second fiddle to his white savior :beli:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
The last time we saw him play anything close to an a$$hole was Hancock, but he couldn't let go of the love over vengeance trope that he clings onto. As the avid reader that he claims to be, he needs to understand how you can have a love story that hangs on the a$$hole's every move/line instead of doing the opposite every time. Casablanca is goated not because love wins, but rather, because logic trumps puny wants and wishes.

This is the same reasons Star Wars (the originals) blew up...its a space opera, its okay if Luke is kinda of a dikk. Same with Rocky, a love story doesn't have to dominate all else, its incorporated wisely...Smith is just too much of a one note pony to understand that. More God of War less Notebook.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
This shyt is going to be mediocre as fukk. Fuqua only has one good movie
You were right. Getting mixed af reviews. Idk why so many had their trust in him. He doesn't make good films. But this did have some Oscar buzz prior