Why white critics’ fear of engaging Tyler Perry is stifling honest debate

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
:stopitslime:

Not even close to the same thing. Being a white director is the standard. They are a dime a dozen. So making a shytty movie is inconsequential to anyone but yourself. Being a black director pretty much puts you into the niche director category. HOLLYWOOD RARELY CALLS A BLACK DIRECTOR unless they need a black point of view.

ALL THE better known BLACK DIRECTORS made their bones with black films. SMART black films that may have had a stereotype or two but addressed them and other social issues responsibly (those don't get made anymore). And then those directors would get a shot or two at a mainstream film or blockbuster.

Spike Lee can't even get a film fukking financed for Christ's sake. John Singleton can't get a movie. The Hughes Brothers just shot a short to get buzz going again! And all the lesser known talented black directors are in television and can't get a movie to save their fukking lives. These guys shut down film festivals with great films and then get sent to a life in directing television.

Tyler Perry making shytty movies hurts everyone. Because it assures that the smart black movies and scripts never get made. Why do that when you can make money with Tyler Perry c00nery? Why risk money on another SMART black movie when c00nery is selling like gangbusters?

So Tyler Perry's success assures that we will never see another Boyz In The Hood, Menace II Society, The Wood, Higher Learning, Poetic Justice, Malcolm X, Do The Right Thing or even a Love and Basketball (for the record, never seen it!)

He Finances His Own fukking Movies. He Is Not Reliant On Hollywood Giving Him A Shot Like Some Kid. If TheM Other nikkas Want Their shyt Financed They Should Learn From Mr. TP On How To Do The Same. Till Then nikkas Need To Stop bytching

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always laugh at these discussions cause its TP make garbage movies but when people make shyt like Rosewood, The Great Debaters, etc most of you militant "scarred what whites think about you nikkas" don't support the shyt. Then in the next breath TP has to make the next usual suspects just because he is the only black person making movies fukk kinda sense does that make. I guarantee if any of the trash talkers were caking making junk they wouldn't change shyt up they'd be like Drake talking about "its just me, myself, and all my millions" thats why I pay these cats no mind. Hell make a movie I'll give you my money just cause you did something instead of just talked like most. My man did a movie "sure looks good" which you can watch the trailer (and I think the whole movie but I'm not 100 on that since my ipad acting funny right now) on YT he also has another movie comming out that Rip Hamilton is behind. He is doing things and I support him but mofos that just wanna complain esp you mother fukkers that in 2013 still on some low key inferiority complex what will white people think of us shyt. nikka we ain't no monolith fukk em. You :stylin: so that must mean we c00ning cats are silly but most of yall still listen to drug pushing ignorant rap (me too) but not on no mission to stop that makes you look real phony.
is this it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
He Finances His Own fukking Movies. He Is Not Reliant On Hollywood Giving Him A Shot Like Some Kid. If TheM Other nikkas Want Their shyt Financed They Should Learn From Mr. TP On How To Do The Same. Till Then nikkas Need To Stop bytching

I agree that's why he is playing safe...

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
I don't like TP's movies but as others have stated he has done well getting them out on a large scale without a lot of help from white companies. The fact that some white critics have decided they will no longer hold back their honest opinion on his movies is of little consequence. I say that because his movies are not winning Oscars and other major white awards so we know they already felt this way about his movies and t.v. shows to begin with. Some say we shouldn't even applaud his "hustle" but I don't think it should be overshadowed by the characters and messages in his films. He's done something very important putting black people to work on film and behind the scenes and hopefully keeping the money made in the black community to help it grow. I hope he does eventually use his leverage to make more diverse films and provide ways for black actors, writers, directors, etc to get their foot in the door without being subject to white rule.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Part of me hates his guts for his simple simon approach to black film

But the other part of me says if Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen can make the same comedy 5 times in a row he should be able to as well

The thing I've learned about art and culture is that you can argue critical acclaim, you can argue significance, but you cannot argue with what the people like. The people like Tyler Perry, I don't, and I don't see why, but they do and that's their right. Maybe these people don't want a deep movie about something thought provoking. They want Madea's stereotypical ignorance, they want the same old hashed out man/woman themes, and yell-at-the-screen drama.

For so long people have been taking the approach with everything as if we gotta "save the people from low culture and ignorance", that they're being taken advantage of by somebody in it to make money. Nah, I've realized that the same reason people drive through McDonalds is the same reason they listen to what they listen to, and watch what they watch and it's a deliberate choice. You can't argue with choice.

I swear people like you, have never actually watched a TP film, cause all this so-called ignorance you talk about, i've never seen.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tyler Perry's situation reminds me of a quote from Stanley Baldwin i read recently...don't know if it was here or on facebook.

"Power without responsibility - the prerogative of a harlot throughout the ages"

I think all of tp's movies range from unintentionally hilarious to bad to flat out horrible, but i respect the things he is doing for black actors and actresses and black cinema in general...BUT...he has the avenue, make a good damn picture for once. All of his films are c00nery, reinforce age old stereotypes, and not-so subliminaly outline his stance on many societal issues. If he can't write a worthy film, hire someone else to do it. Stop making films for lowest common denominator, and make something that initiates some kind dialog that betters black folks, not something that takes us backwards.

How exactly are his movies c00nery?

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
he has little talent, and his money is not my money, so fukk his hustle when im talking about art.

that being said...though it would be nice if he was more talented, he does not really have a responsibility to do anything different. as a matter of fact, i kinda feel sorry for him having to deal with the fact that his movies actually dissappoint more discerning black audiences. i think he should be able to just make bad movies with about as clear a consience as the average mediocre white filmmaker

due to obvious historical and contemporary factors, black people, as a demographic, are disproportionately blue collar or poor. this has a real affect on our tastes and general outlook on life. there is an extreme duality between hedonism and authoritarian religiosity that defines black entertainment and art. when faced with a perpetual existential crisis of both economics and race, one is likely to be tempted to resort to either nihilism or faith in unseen forces magically sorting things out. humanism is a luxury of the priviliged or the naturally curious. it took me a few years to learn this lesson. the dude who brought up the blue collar comedy tour hit the nail on the head-the black audience is largely larry the cable guy status until we develop more of an elite like other ethnic groups. (this is a complicated issue for another thread)

i used to pile on when threads like these would pop up, but i eventually came to realize TP doesnt owe anybody anything but taxes. he's giving talented black actors chances that hollywood wont, and his focus on blacks as the main character feeds the vain part of every human that wants to see the self on the big screen. practically nobdoy else does this for black people, so his product has value to those that like it. not much philosophical or artistic value, but it does provide entertainment and escapism.

and though i understand why white critics were shook, they should go ahead and criticize him. the faster they get it over with, the less of an issue it will be later.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Stop defending TP's money.

Ya'll ain't seeing a DIME of that so at some point, you have to realize that you're just asking for respect only because of how much money you have.

Thats ridiculous.
This nikka must have been fired by TP. nikka if its such a big deal make a movie show us how its done nikka. Thats the great thing about "wackness" like TP that means you can slide right in and make that $$$$ so get it poppin and post your results so we can see. Thats cool you don't respect the moves he making but don't try to strong arm and shame others into sharing your opinino. Truthfully in all these discussions I can count maybe 1/2 people that said his movies are even any good. That right there shows you don't know what the fukk your talking about and makes you look like a hater right there.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I didn't read that whole opening post (and I won't), but it seems like critics (including one from "Jezebel") got their BVDs in a bunch when a broad who cheated on her husband caught The Monster.

Really?

That was the straw?

Why don't some of you artistic people who "want more from their cinema" tell me how you would end that movie...

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I'm supposed to let the fact that TP makes my people look like stone cold fools and purposely shyts on black men to line HIS pockets slide because he's "making CACS mad", "making money", "is a black man doing his thing", or whatever dumb butt, insecure, afraid to be yourself around white folk knee grow reasoning?

alpo

Dade County carol city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carol city
Stop defending TP's money.

Ya'll ain't seeing a DIME of that so at some point, you have to realize that you're just asking for respect only because of how much money you have.

Thats ridiculous.

:umad: white people do it all the time, it's called being a republican:troll:

alpo

Dade County carol city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carol city
So I'm supposed to let the fact that TP makes my people look like stone cold fools and purposely shyts on black men to line HIS pockets slide because he's "making CACS mad", "making money", "is a black man doing his thing", or whatever dumb butt, insecure, afraid to be yourself around white folk knee grow reasoning?

:troll: i bet you watch django unchained tho