Why white critics’ fear of engaging Tyler Perry is stifling honest debate

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Tyler Perry has a loyal fanbase which is why Confessions of a Marriage Counselor is sitting at 46 million at the box office. I think there are some people who are tired of Tylers success but these people are not his fans.

A Tyler Perry film has never flopped, ever.

"flopping" is determined by financial success at the box office.

That has NO bearing on the actual content or the quality of the movie.

Thats like saying XYZ artist sold more therefore XYZ artist makes better music.

That just isn't the case.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This line sums up how I feel about Tyler Perry:

"It’s possible to admire Perry’s work ethic, marvel at his success, or be impressed by the way he’s forced Hollywood to bend to him, and also think his movies are insidious."

I respect him but his movies are stupid. I don't blame white people for being afraid to criticize his movies though because black people hate outside criticism. Actually we hate criticism period.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Garbage movies get released every week. They just mad mad cause he is making more money while in the half the theaters as these white films. As long as he is selling tickets the critics opinions dont matter. People know at this point what to expect from a tp movie and based on his latest success they obviously are fine with it.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Garbage movies get released every week. They just mad mad cause he is making more money while in the half the theaters as these white films. As long as he is selling tickets the critics opinions dont matter. People know at this point what to expect from a tp movie and based on his latest success they obviously are fine with it.

So if you don't like a Tyler Perry movie, you're MAD? :usure:

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
Being honest. I can't stand Tyler Perry movies. They remind me of those old Amos and Andy shows mixed with Christianity. He makes simple movies for simple people. People who want an affirmation that their lives are correct and just, while other's are suffering because of their "success". As a Black man, I applaud his success in making money doing this. He has opened the doors for many actors and actresses of color, but he is basically running a 2013 Minstrel Show for the masses. So congrats and fukk you at the same time. Dressing up like a old black woman. Punk bytch.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
You're not seeing a dime of that money so how does TP releasing shytty movies improve your experience as a consumer of content?

Why do I have to be hating on dude?

I'm not pleased with his movies...and I shouldn't be told to "be content" only because him and I share some degree of melanin.
You must be a hater cause I already said not everybody is hating but I'm not nieve enough to believe most are SOOOO concerned about the art either. Damn today it's a lot of people that can't fukking read today on here.

luvaznpoon

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Of course white people getting mad they see he making money for doing nothing like Peter said and they hating. It might be a few that are really about the art but just like here most are mad he making money doing "subpar" work end of story. Its like if you caking and somebody don't like you or your work you should be tap dancing downtown for change fukk em TP, Floyd, coli posters getting it get your money fukk these haters and keep taking money off their plate so they can stay mad.

Seriously. Whenever a Black man is out here making money (legally), you can bet there will be folks black AND white who have a problem with it. Go get your bread, Tyler. Go get your bread.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps

Seriously. Whenever a Black man is out here making money (legally), you can bet there will be folks black AND white who have a problem with it. Go get your bread, Tyler. Go get your bread.

I think the point of the article was that white people were afraid, in the past, of criticizing his movies because of the arguments of "he's just a black man out here doing his thing and they hate him cause he's black and making money.". There are plenty of critics who will trash "white movies". Tyler Perry is now being criticized just like them and he just so happens to be black.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
blaxploitation movies made by a black man. At least money is going to a black.
Still shameless though.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
It's all well and good saying trash movies get made everyday and comparing him to Michael Bay and Judd Apatow but Apatow and Bay aren't the only high profile white directors in Hollywood. Perry is pretty much all we have so of course his work comes under scrutiny. It's dumb and dangerous to dismiss criticism of him as 'just hate'. Plus the writer of that article is black anyway.

The problem isn't inherent in the shyttiness of Perry's writing/production values/directorial skills/. He is what he is and you can't fault him for capitalising on his popularity. People voted with their wallets, he can do what he wants.

The problem is the absence of a well promoted/funded alternative. People point to Red Tails and 42 but sports biopics without a big name attached don't do well as a rule and read about the problems a tenured industry billionaire like Lucas encountered in the business when trying to make Red Tails happen.

This article has an important point. Most content aggregators/reviewers are white and they tend to skirt around honest criticism of Perry which is condescending and grants Perry the illusion of mainstream acceptance.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
It's all well and good saying trash movies get made everyday and comparing him to Michael Bay and Judd Apatow but Apatow and Bay aren't the only high profile white directors in Hollywood. Perry is pretty much all we have so of course his work comes under scrutiny. It's dumb and dangerous to dismiss criticism of him as 'just hate'. Plus the writer of that article is black anyway.

The problem isn't inherent in the shyttiness of Perry's writing/production values/directorial skills/. He is what he is and you can't fault him for capitalising on his popularity. People voted with their wallets, he can do what he wants.

The problem is the absence of a well promoted/funded alternative. People point to Red Tails and 42 but sports biopics without a big name attached don't do well as a rule and read about the problems a tenured industry billionaire like Lucas encountered in the business when trying to make Red Tails happen.

This article has an important point. Most content aggregators/reviewers are white and they tend to skirt around honest criticism of Perry which is condescending and grants Perry the illusion of mainstream acceptance.

Waiting for Aaron Mcgruder to make his directorial debut :blessed:

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Waiting for Aaron Mcgruder to make his directorial debut :blessed:

That's the sad thing. Dude could have been our guy but he's made so many enemies that it'll be at least 10 years before he can get any kind of traction
between:
BET
Tyler Perry
Condoleeza Rice - (Called her a mass murderer to her face)
Bill Cosby
George Lucas
And all the Hollywood stars he insulted during his speech at The Nation dinner.

He's really not good at making friends and unless you have a fanbase as devoted as Perry's it's essential. Still I'm always interested to see what dude does.