Why white critics’ fear of engaging Tyler Perry is stifling honest debate

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
No Matter The Critique Tyler Perry Is Going To Sell.Is He A c00n Probably, But If We Want To See Ourselves Represented In A Different Light Why Dont We Follow His Recipe For Success And Have Our Own Production Companies And Release Our Own Movies. He Found His Market Demographic THat Support His Every Endeavors No Matter How Terrible The ,Work cRiticism Against His work. AnD Wy Do We Neex White People Critics Of His Horrible Movies To Reinforce Ours. That To Me Is Also A Form Of c00ning. FrOm The Ones I Have Seen His Movies Messag Are A Out Reaping What You Sow He Just c00nS Up The DeliverY But A Bood Message It is.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
He probably made if for 4 million and some Season Passes for the Lakers...

:whew:

His ROI is stupid

Yeah he is cheapening art/black cinema in America and making sure other black films will continue to get dismal budgets while feeding stereotypes. c00nery@ its finest but pardon me I can't knock a successful brother regardless of his individual success being at the cost of making a mockery of black people.

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
My thing with Perry is that I'm happy for him getting his money but I never fukked with his movies for reasons already covered. What gets me is that as usual the actions of 1 black man have to reflect on the whole race as a whole. Somehow because Perry makes trash stereotypical movies it has to hurt every other black director and actor in hollywood trying to make it. Does Paul W.S. Anderson making nothing but generic action movies hurt white directors? Does Uwe Boll making nothing but trash period hurt anyone but himself? Obviously like many other directors Perry has his lane and sticks to it....u either fukk with it or u dont. The article talks about his movies having simplistic good and evil messages...obviously thats what his audience wants they ain't looking for inception type shyt.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
That's the sad thing. Dude could have been our guy but he's made so many enemies that it'll be at least 10 years before he can get any kind of traction
between:
BET
Tyler Perry
Condoleeza Rice - (Called her a mass murderer to her face)
Bill Cosby
George Lucas
And all the Hollywood stars he insulted during his speech at The Nation dinner.

He's really not good at making friends and unless you have a fanbase as devoted as Perry's it's essential. Still I'm always interested to see what dude does.

He's the cinematic 50 cent

Sent from handheld Minority Report console

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
It's a tough situation

On one hand TP isn't responsible for black cinema

On the other hand the enduring popularity of hiss movies with black people spell some ominous trends

Are we really this stupid and low brow? Why are our cinematic standards so low and limited

That's what I think when I hear TP. I think it's something worth investigating but black people would riot

Sent from handheld Minority Report console

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Tyler Perry is essentially the black version of the guys who do the Blue Collar Comedy Tour (and their movies).
They appeal to people on the lower end of the social economic spectrum.

Thats why Tyler Perry and the Blue Collar Comedy tour guys are so paid...that what most of the country is. Of course critics arent going to like it, because its cheap jokes, and cheap writing.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
My thing with Perry is that I'm happy for him getting his money but I never fukked with his movies for reasons already covered. What gets me is that as usual the actions of 1 black man have to reflect on the whole race as a whole. Somehow because Perry makes trash stereotypical movies it has to hurt every other black director and actor in hollywood trying to make it. Does Paul W.S. Anderson making nothing but generic action movies hurt white directors? Does Uwe Boll making nothing but trash period hurt anyone but himself? Obviously like many other directors Perry has his lane and sticks to it....u either fukk with it or u dont. The article talks about his movies having simplistic good and evil messages...obviously thats what his audience wants they ain't looking for inception type shyt.
I stated that in an earlier post and truthfully too many blacks have inferiority complexes. shyt shows up all the time saying things like TP reps us all no he don't. I have no connection with dude nor every black whether they do good or bad things. Its just so sad that blacks don't see their inferiority complex and try to do something about it but they want cause we as a whole so desperate to be accepted even though we act like we aren't. I used to feel like every time some black person did some dumb shyt that was a bad reflection on the race. Then I realized not one of the people that I would truly feel ashamed of (cause they were raised with me so I know they weren't raised that way or close friends since you usually are similar in alot of ways to your closest friends) doing something stupid has never done anything like that got me to thinking I'm being crazy worried about what cats I don't know how they were raised are repping me just cause we are the same color. I said fukk that and its been that way since cause we are not a monolith and we as a whole need to seriously realize that.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Tyler Perry's situation reminds me of a quote from Stanley Baldwin i read recently...don't know if it was here or on facebook.

"Power without responsibility - the prerogative of a harlot throughout the ages"

I think all of tp's movies range from unintentionally hilarious to bad to flat out horrible, but i respect the things he is doing for black actors and actresses and black cinema in general...BUT...he has the avenue, make a good damn picture for once. All of his films are c00nery, reinforce age old stereotypes, and not-so subliminaly outline his stance on many societal issues. If he can't write a worthy film, hire someone else to do it. Stop making films for lowest common denominator, and make something that initiates some kind dialog that betters black folks, not something that takes us backwards.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Part of me hates his guts for his simple simon approach to black film

But the other part of me says if Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen can make the same comedy 5 times in a row he should be able to as well

The thing I've learned about art and culture is that you can argue critical acclaim, you can argue significance, but you cannot argue with what the people like. The people like Tyler Perry, I don't, and I don't see why, but they do and that's their right. Maybe these people don't want a deep movie about something thought provoking. They want Madea's stereotypical ignorance, they want the same old hashed out man/woman themes, and yell-at-the-screen drama.

For so long people have been taking the approach with everything as if we gotta "save the people from low culture and ignorance", that they're being taken advantage of by somebody in it to make money. Nah, I've realized that the same reason people drive through McDonalds is the same reason they listen to what they listen to, and watch what they watch and it's a deliberate choice. You can't argue with choice.

You make a great point breh. I have pretty much been a Tyler Perry basher from the beginning. Mostly because he's below average as a writer and his films lack nuance. The biggest issue with Tyler is that he's the only nikka that gets to make films in Hollywood for the most part. So it falls on him to make black films that are quality and represent us in a more accurate fashion.

But if a dude like Adam Sandlar can cake off of wack movie after wack movie, why can't Tyler eat off his gimmick? fukk it, let dude get his. He hustled to get where he is now from the bottom. He's taking the Master P approach and flooding the market with releases while he's still hot.

I hope at some point dude could back a good black writer or directer to make a quality black film without him watering it down with his poor writing & stereotypical gimmicks.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
What people don't realize is that Tyler Perry's use of Good vs Evil, Punishment vs Reward and other simp concepts IS THAT he just really can't write for shyt.

He relies on these simple concepts as a crutch. And it's glaringly obvious when he does it. Just like any other amateur writer would. Are those concepts present in any good Hollywood movie? Yes. But they are not as straight forward and obvious. Other writers don't beat you over the head with it. It's there under layers. Represented by many things. That challenge you to dig underneath the surface.

Being a good playwright does not mean that you are a good screenplay writer.

I'll say it again, like I said before. This man is GARBAGE. Hope he saved his pennies. His days as a hack are numbered.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Does Paul W.S. Anderson making nothing but generic action movies hurt white directors?
:stopitslime:

Not even close to the same thing. Being a white director is the standard. They are a dime a dozen. So making a shytty movie is inconsequential to anyone but yourself. Being a black director pretty much puts you into the niche director category. HOLLYWOOD RARELY CALLS A BLACK DIRECTOR unless they need a black point of view.

ALL THE better known BLACK DIRECTORS made their bones with black films. SMART black films that may have had a stereotype or two but addressed them and other social issues responsibly (those don't get made anymore). And then those directors would get a shot or two at a mainstream film or blockbuster.

Spike Lee can't even get a film fukking financed for Christ's sake. John Singleton can't get a movie. The Hughes Brothers just shot a short to get buzz going again! And all the lesser known talented black directors are in television and can't get a movie to save their fukking lives. These guys shut down film festivals with great films and then get sent to a life in directing television.

Tyler Perry making shytty movies hurts everyone. Because it assures that the smart black movies and scripts never get made. Why do that when you can make money with Tyler Perry c00nery? Why risk money on another SMART black movie when c00nery is selling like gangbusters?

So Tyler Perry's success assures that we will never see another Boyz In The Hood, Menace II Society, The Wood, Higher Learning, Poetic Justice, Malcolm X, Do The Right Thing or even a Love and Basketball (for the record, never seen it!)

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
This is the best thing anybody has ever written about Perry by quite some distance.

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
:stopitslime:

Not even close to the same thing. Being a white director is the standard. They are a dime a dozen. So making a shytty movie is inconsequential to anyone but yourself. Being a black director pretty much puts you into the niche director category. HOLLYWOOD RARELY CALLS A BLACK DIRECTOR unless they need a black point of view.

ALL THE better known BLACK DIRECTORS made their bones with black films. SMART black films that may have had a stereotype or two but addressed them and other social issues responsibly (those don't get made anymore). And then those directors would get a shot or two at a mainstream film or blockbuster.

Spike Lee can't even get a film fukking financed for Christ's sake. John Singleton can't get a movie. The Hughes Brothers just shot a short to get buzz going again! And all the lesser known talented black directors are in television and can't get a movie to save their fukking lives. These guys shut down film festivals with great films and then get sent to a life in directing television.

Tyler Perry making shytty movies hurts everyone. Because it assures that the smart black movies and scripts never get made. Why do that when you can make money with Tyler Perry c00nery? Why risk money on another SMART black movie when c00nery is selling like gangbusters?

So Tyler Perry's success assures that we will never see another Boyz In The Hood, Menace II Society, The Wood, Higher Learning, Poetic Justice, Malcolm X, Do The Right Thing or even a Love and Basketball (for the record, never seen it!)

I agree with everything u said but at the same time what your speaking on is what I mentioned...the deeper problem of cism and that somehow Perry and his work represents every single black person in Hollywood. Youre expecting the nikka who made house of payne to carry the torch for blacks in hollywood...I dunno if he has the mental capacity to make a Do the Right Thing or Boyz n the Hood even if he tried. The fact that his work is hurting every other black person is the problem with hollywood as a whole not with Perry himself. You cant expect every single nicca with a little bit of power to be torchbearer for the whole black race. Some just arent capable of playing that role