Why were there so many serial killers in the 1970s-80s? What caused the decline in serial killers?

concise

Veteran
Daps
People have cell phones, so they can call for help if the car breaks down, instead of getting in the brown van with the killer who was driving around looking for victims.

People aren't as naive compared to those back in the 70s & 80s.

Most serial killer victims more often than not were gullible/naive individuals who trusted a stranger for help, when you look back at some of these serial killers you'll notice most of them easily talked their victims into a trap by just offering a ride or even luring them somewhere.

People nowadays aren't so naive and gullible to just jump inside somebody's car when offered, which is also why potential/undercover serial killers of today have trouble getting victims because people gotten smarter over the decades.
I can only imagine the range of emotions if your car broke down on the highway in the 50s or 60s. Especially if you were black.

And, when you really think about it, it is just crazy that hitchhiking was ever a thing. Just picking up absolute randoms on the side of the road trying to go wherever. :mindblown:

Daps
I can only imagine the range of emotions if your car broke down on the highway in the 50s or 60s. Especially if you were black.

And, when you really think about it, it is just crazy that hitchhiking was ever a thing. Just picking up absolute randoms on the side of the road trying to go wherever. :mindblown:

I went on a road trip to Texas with a white girl, and we saw a man hitchhiking, and she was like,

:gladbron:
Let’s pick him up! It’s always been a dream of mine to pick up a hitchhiker.

I was:
:what:
bytch! I’m not allowing a stranger in this car!

Hitchhiking is dangerous for all parties involved. Either the driver, or the hitchhiker could be the killer.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The serial killer wave died out, because those incels starting doing mass shootings instead.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Cell towers
DNA
CCTV
Uber

back in the day imagine not having money for a cab and it’s late at night and you’re walking home on the side of a empty road and a jerkers creepers type van pulls up :to:

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
Vehicle emissions regulations and converting fuel from leaded to unleaded made the biggest difference in my opinion. Our atmosphere is a little cleaner so less people are driven to psychotic illnesses

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We had a serial killer up here in Toronto who just recently got caught, Bruce McArthur. Cac was killing for a good 10 years but mostly targeting gay South Asian and Middle Eastern men, dudes who weren’t necessarily “out” in their families but were known to their gay communities in the city.

He went under the radar cause he wasn’t killing cac men or women and when these men were disappearing, no one really gave a fukk. It wasn’t until a cac disappeared that people started wondering if a serial killer was active... police started investigating and the killer got sloppy since he was merking dudes so easily for years and got caught. Dude was grimey as fukk tho... he was a landscaper and everyone he merked, he was disintegrating their bodies and planting them into the soil of the jobs he worked on people’s properties... when he was caught, cops had to investigate properties throughout the city and are still digging up bones and remains scattered throughout those properties :picard:

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
The concept of a "serial killer" as we know it now is fairly recent; Mindhunter is about the start of this profiling shyt so it didnt really become standard til the 90s

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
for all the demonizing technology gets its definitely saving humans from themselves.

It’s easier to get caught as a serial killer due to there being a camera pretty much everywhere and the ways they can narrow things down.

but humans as morbid as it is to think about are actually much easier to do it to in 2019 if a serial killer decided to go that route.

Parents think nothing of shoving teenage daughters in Ubers, Lyfts etc

People have no issue handing out their address and or meeting up on dating apps immediately after making contact with people

meeting up to sell things

putting when and where you’re gonna be somewhere all over social media

It’s crazy to think for as evolved as we’d like to think that we are from the 60’s/70’s :patrice:

RhymesWell

All Star
Daps
for all the demonizing technology gets its definitely saving humans from themselves.

It’s easier to get caught as a serial killer due to there being a camera pretty much everywhere and the ways they can narrow things down.

but humans as morbid as it is to think about are actually much easier to do it to in 2019 if a serial killer decided to go that route.

Parents think nothing of shoving teenage daughters in Ubers, Lyfts etc

People have no issue handing out their address and or meeting up on dating apps immediately after making contact with people

meeting up to sell things

putting when and where you’re gonna be somewhere all over social media

It’s crazy to think for as evolved as we’d like to think that we are from the 60’s/70’s :patrice:

You're correct but with most of those apps you have to register your identity minus craigslist and pof and even with those if people aren't smart enough to be cautious by now they frankly deserve to get violated.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
On a serious note, you guys need to research Samuel Little, or just go on the thread here on The coli, overall this thread seems to be extremely ignorant when it comes to this topic.
:ohhh:
Dude was demented and killed most of his victims in my area (OH) including 1 in my city (Akron)

Ashley Banks

All I ever wanted was the world
Daps
Would you really know it if there was a decline? :lupe: Maybe they didn't get caught yet

Right like the guy that had 11 bodies in house living with them. No one was even looking for a serial killer, they just said those women were missing. He tried to rape and kill a lady and the police finally went to do something (he had been reported before) and when they went in there was a headless corpse in his living room.