Why was Kendrick Lamar nominated for "Humble?"

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Kendrick fans bringing up sales & charts to justify a Grammy nomination for Top Song is funny to me. What happened to all that shyt y’all used to say to downplay that shyt for every other artist?

Now you're being disingenuous. Go google Grammy nominees from the last...20 years. The top selling albums and the biggest songs tend to get nominated, that's just a fact. Taylor Swift won a couple years ago over Kendrick specifically because her album dominated the year sales wise. Now Kendrick has the highest selling album and will likely win some Grammys.

If you want to argue the Grammys are wack because it's more about politics and sales, then go ahead. I'd agree with you. But don't single out Kendrick here. Humble was what, the biggest or second biggest song of 2017? It's obvious why it was nominated, get over it.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I disagree.
You of all people like that Humble bullshyt? :scust:

We just gon act like Kendrick wasn’t using Uzi mumble rap flows on Humble?

Go outside any function where hip-hop is played the reception of XO Tour Life blows Humble out the water. Song is way more melodic, catchy, and even has deeper lyrical themes than that Kendrick shyt.

Tunnel Vision>Humble. :mjgrin:

Humble is an Interscope payola based single after the commercial failure that was Pimp. That shyt was shoved down our throats for months.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
You of all people like that Humble bullshyt? :scust:

I never said I loved Humble. I'm one of the most objective posters on here. If a person I normally don't like makes a good song or a great song, I'll acknowledge it.

Humble has a good 'for the club' beat. It's not an amazing beat but it's certainly a better beat than XO Tour Life. Vocally, both rappers are woat but I might give Kendrick the win here.

We just gon act like Kendrick wasn’t using Uzi mumble rap flows on Humble?

Of course he was.

Go outside any function where hip-hop is played the reception of XO Tour Life blows Humble out the water. Song is way more melodic, catchy, and even has deeper lyrical themes than that Kendrick shyt.

Tunnel Vision>Humble. :mjgrin:

yeah XO Tour Life does have a bigger reception but it's also poppier, sing-songier and more of the moment. Uzi is the newer artist and that newness is contributing to the bigger reception. As a song, it's lower energy than Humble and thus, asks less of you. Which is perfect for the woat era we're in.

and nah on Tunnel Vision.

Humble is an Interscope payola based single after the commercial failure that was Pimp. That shyt was shoved down our throats for months.

100%. In fact, let's pretend that Humble was 'organic' and it didn't take months of NBA Playoff throat-shoving before people really started to be cool with it :troll:

Last edited:

TruDatz

All Star
Daps
Now you're being disingenuous. Go google Grammy nominees from the last...20 years. The top selling albums and the biggest songs tend to get nominated, that's just a fact. Taylor Swift won a couple years ago over Kendrick specifically because her album dominated the year sales wise. Now Kendrick has the highest selling album and will likely win some Grammys.

If you want to argue the Grammys are wack because it's more about politics and sales, then go ahead. I'd agree with you. But don't single out Kendrick here. Humble was what, the biggest or second biggest song of 2017? It's obvious why it was nominated, get over it.

I been argued that the Grammys are wack b/c it’s about politics (sales when they feel like it). Why I been screwface seeing Kendrick fans talkin bout Grammys all the time. When any other artist tops the charts Kenny stans say Its because ppl like trash music. Y’all do it so nobody can ever have a real conversation in hip hop.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
I been argued that the Grammys are wack b/c it’s about politics (sales when they feel like it). Why I been screwface seeing Kendrick fans talkin bout Grammys all the time. When any other artist tops the charts Kenny stans say Its because ppl like trash music. Y’all do it so nobody can ever have a real conversation in hip hop.

Kendrick Lamar is trash music

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
tumblr_static_14nvazdo9hb4ko80sk00gsowo_640_v2.gif