Why should someone pursue a Masters Degree?

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If a friend Graduated from undergrad, and decided to work to pay off the loans and go back to school later...should that individual be pressured into getting his/her masters right after school?

why is working for some time then going back a worse option?

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
who told u its better to go straight to grad school? i've always heard the opposite...work experience >>>> career student.....and in some cases ur job will pay for u to go to school

Ohms Law

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#Byrd Gang
More dependent on the course your taking. If youre planning to get a masters in the same exact field as your bachelors, why not get it done at once? :manny:

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
From middle school up to high school all I heard was "Go To College. It opens up doors and is the key to success...blah...blah...blah..." I believed it, went to college. Freshman orientation was like "College is the key to success, it is the key to life. You took a great step in life....blah...blah...blah."

Then at college graduation the keynote speaker is like "Now you can go to grad school." :why: I'm thinking the key to success was a 4 year degree that's what nikkas been telling me since 7th grade up until this point in my life. I got out in the world acquired a bunch of shytty dead in jobs then got laid off 3 times in 4 years. nikkas now is telling me to go back to school and get a masters to better compete for 60-70K jobs I could've gotten a decade ago with an undergrad degree and work experience.

Education is a hustle right now. And it's designed to keep a lot of students in debt. And the notion that you are supposed to go deeper in debt to acquire a Masters or more is ridiculous. Unless you have a technical profession (i.e. Doctor, Dentist, Engineer, Lawyer) a 4 year undergrad degree is all the formal education you need. The rest is based around your connections, personality, work experience & to a lesser degree your work ethic. Those four items will take you a lot further in life than PHDs or Masters ever could.

HarlemsOwn

RIP Fresh
Daps
From middle school up to high school all I heard was "Go To College. It opens up doors and is the key to success...blah...blah...blah..." I believed it, went to college. Freshman orientation was like "College is the key to success, it is the key to life. You took a great step in life....blah...blah...blah."

Then at college graduation the keynote speaker is like "Now you can go to grad school." :why: I'm thinking the key to success was a 4 year degree that's what nikkas been telling me since 7th grade up until this point in my life. I got out in the world acquired a bunch of shytty dead in jobs then got laid off 3 times in 4 years. nikkas now is telling me to go back to school and get a masters to better compete for 60-70K jobs I could've gotten a decade ago with an undergrad degree and work experience.

Education is a hustle right now. And it's designed to keep a lot of students in debt. And the notion that you are supposed to go deeper in debt to acquire a Masters or more is ridiculous. Unless you have a technical profession (i.e. Doctor, Dentist, Engineer, Lawyer) a 4 year undergrad degree is all the formal education you need. The rest is based around your connections, personality, work experience & to a lesser degree your work ethic. Those four items will take you a lot further in life than PHDs or Masters ever could.

my nikka you sound ridiculous

please dont tell ya kids that

i do agree that having a work experience is key

but a bachelors degree aint shyt today

its damn near replacing high school diplomas

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC

If a bachelors degree ain't shyt today then that means I'm right about everything I wrote. Do you think getting a masters in Journalism for instance is gonna take you further in life than networking and work experience? Keep in mind Peter Jennings didn't even have a high school diploma.

JBone4eva

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Better job prospects, its pretty obvious to me.

After undergrad I was able to get a job in my desired field (pathology) at about 35k annually, topping out at about 55k. The average graduate of my masters program has an average of two job offers waiting upon graduation starting at an average of 84k and topping out in low six figures.

It all depends what on what field you're studying in though in my opinion.

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
It depends on the degree. A cheap degree will bring you cheap results :manny:

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps

Nah you're wrong. Lol @ a bachelor's degree being high school diploma status. Here's where people fukk up:

-most kids are immature as fukk at 18 and have this belief that college is supposed to be this fun place where you discover yourself. Furthermore these kids go to expensive universities instead of knocking out courses at a community college. Because that's not cool.

-most kids have been brainwashed to think that they can follow their dreams and be whatever they want. That's not true... You like art history ? It's your passion? Fine, but don't major in that bullshyt because they aren't any jobs there. When I was 18 I did research on what jobs would be available when I got out and I picked my major from there. Kids think they're special, like basic statistics don't apply to them.

-most people want everything to be easy. I recruit and you'd be surprised at how many resumes I see with people who just went to school and didn't network or get any internships.

-Most people are lost. They don't know what to do when reality comes crashing down and that's when they decide to go to grad school. Funny thing is a lot of them get a grad degree in some bullshyt and expect jobs to be there! I know a girl with a masters in historical costumes. Wtf?

-Lastly, most people are sheep and scared to try and do things on their own. Most folks would rather go back to school and hope to get a job they hate than try to create their own shyt. I just drove past a shop that sells bagels shaped like donut holes. They make a lot of money. You got people getting paid to tell swagless nikkas how to get women. Etc. There's so many opportunities to make money in this world but people are scared and lazy.

Sent from Cloud City via Lando Calrissian