Why is New York City considered the Basketball "Mecca" when the Knicks only have 2 championships...

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Don't know the definition of mecca, brehs.

Well, if you want to be technical, the Mecca refers to the city of Mecca, the birthplace of the Prophet Muhammad and the religion of Islam.

Basketball was created at a YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts, by Dr. James Naismith, so that's the literal "Mecca" of basketball.

The Prophet Muhammad then left Mecca and went on to Medina to spread the religion of Islam and used that city as his power base.

Dr. Naismith left Springfield and went on to coach the basketball team at the University of Kansas, turning them into the first basketball powerhouse.

The Prophet Muhammad lived out his last days in the city of Medina.

Dr. Naismith passed in Lawrence, the home of the University of Kansas.

So, The University of Kansas would be considered the "Medina" of basketball.

New York City does not fall in the equation at all.

If we're being technical of course...

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Name the star NYC players from between 1950 and 1978 that would justify the city being considered the Mecca of basketball.
Brehs, he is serious. :wow:

The sport of basketball did not start when you were born and that is all I’m going to say.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Brehs, he is serious. :wow:

The sport of basketball did not start when you were born and that is all I’m going to say.

I never said it did, but if you're considered the "Mecca" of something, and you're not the birthplace, there has to be a reason why you were given that title.

I'm seriously asking what that reason is, because in my damn near 40 years on this Earth, I haven't seen it.

I've seen plenty of high quality college teams from other cities, NYC has what, St. Johns in the 80s?

I've seen plenty of high quality players from other cities, name the NYC players besides the ones I've already named that are top 50 all time NBA or college players.

There are arenas with WAY more banners in the rafters than MSG, so why is that arena considered the Mecca of basketball arenas?

I'm asking anybody from NYC to prove why MSG or the city should be considered anything close to the "Mecca" of basketball.

Juven

All Star
Daps
The Knicks won 2 championships in the early 70s, a couple years before I was born, and haven't won any since I've been alive and I'll be 40 this year.

The NBA did not create basketball. So it's not about the knicks.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Chris Mullin and Bernard King too :hubie:

MSG is called the Mecca, it's why dudes always seem to have big performances there.

As for NYC and producing talent, it still pumps out the most D1 talent in the country, the problem is guys don't hit that next level like dudes from Chicago. For whatever reason development of players in NYC is terrible now when it comes to producing NBA star level players while Chicago has a production line of MVP caliber players coming out of there.
A lot of kids from NY are about to hit the next level. I consider Donovan Mitchell, a NYC prospect since he was a local AAU product (Riverside) and spent a lot of time in Queens (his father works for the Mets), played for Rick Pitino who loves NYC guards, even though he grew up in the burbs out in Elmsford. But this year we got Mohamed Bamba, Hamidou Diallo, Trevon Duval coming out and some kids like Cole Anthony and Moses Brown waiting in the wings. Isaiah Washington and that whole Jelly Fam movement injected some juice into the culture.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
... over a 3 year span in the 70s, and most of the "legends" from the city never live up to their hype when they go up against ball players from the rest of the country in college and the NBA?

I'll give them Kareem, Connie Hawkins, and Bob Cousy (:mjlol:)...
2 titles, 8 NBA Finals appearances is better than 85% of the NBA, for better or worse the Knicks are one of the best franchises in the NBA with a lot culture and lore and passionate fans. Remember the Celtics and Lakers have most of the championships in league history. Followed by the Bulls who haven't made a Finals pre or post Michael Jordan, and then the Spurs dynasty.

NYC is considered the mecca because the city has a great basketball culture. The most famous streetball courts like Holcombe Rucker and Monsignor Kett (Dyckman), the "world's most famous arena” (Madison Square Garden) where a lot of legendary college and NBA moments occurred. Now, we got the Barclays in Brooklyn.

There’s a long list of NBA players from NYC. I mean off top it’s probably twenty PG’s you can name All-Time.

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Lloyd Daniels
Rod Strickland
Kenny Anderson
God Shamgod
Rapher Alston
Lamar Odom
Felipe Lopez
Charles Jones
Lenny Cooke
Sabastian Telfair

:mjlol:

Why are you laughing at Kenny, Rod & Lamar :dwillhuh:

And funny how you conveniently left off Kemba Walker, Mark Jackson, Chris Mullin, Anthony Mason (RIP), Malik Sealy (RIP), Kenny Smith, Stephon Marbury, Lance Stephenson, Metta World Peace, Taj Gibson, Tiny Archibald just to name a few:sas2:

Daps
Like their rap "legends", nyc basketball "legends" are borderline trash. New yorkers exaggerate everything ny related. Many never made it pass the Rucker or whatever park they played at.

You have to have heart to be great in the nba, which many new yorkers have very little of. Remember, tupac punked this whole city. Tremendous clowns though. Eddie Murphy. Chris Rock.

NC, Cali and Chicago have put out more legendary nba players than ny.