Why is math hard for the general populace

THOT CATALOG

All Star
Supporter
Daps
One of the dumbest posts I ever seen on here and that is saying something.

people who suck at math and have a disdain for the subject are paid to teach your kids the basics of math.

most teachers who majored in math and or hard sciences work in high school, not elementary. can pull up a stat if needed. they expect kids to have a certain level of math knowledge. if the kids aren't at that base level the teacher isn't expected to go back and teach 13-14 years of subject material to each student individually. they have to focus on what their current grade level curriculum is.

all of a sudden these kids who don't understand the fundamentals of algebra are being taught about slopes and intercepts and it makes their brains hurt. they don't understand the concepts and also start disliking the subject.

math, like any subject, builds on previous knowledge. if you don't know addition, multiplication won't make sense. if multiplication doesn't make sense then factoring won't make sense. etc.

it all starts with a strong foundation. most of the teachers who teach elementary shouldn't be teaching your kids math because they don't appreciate the subject.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
I had a bunch of people teach me tips and tricks to get the answer, but I got "good" at math from teachers giving real world applications to what I was learning.

Until people are taught to understand the fundamental use of something, maths and sciences are just going to continue to be intimidating abstract numbers and symbols

It also takes reasoning skills and repetition. It's not all on the teachers, some students carry on being lazy all the way into adulthood

keepemup

Banned
Daps
I will add that a lot of people come in intimidated when it comes to math so in order to teach it, the top archer will have to be extremely patient. Patience until the end honestly.

The student has to feel comfortable and they'll lean on the teacher heavily so any remark that deters their willingness to express their thought process can set them back weeks.

You've got to be super gentle and acknowledge the reasons the mistakes they made are reasonable however incorrect. Provide practical and relevant examples where the math applies and then teach the corresponding notation.

After the student does practices on their own a general understanding of mathematic statements will develop.

A1aaa

Respectful Fade Runner & Card Puller
Daps
math teachers are hit or miss in america... either they're really good or really, really bad. non-disclosure: i went up to calculus III / linear algebra in HS/college.

CoochieMane

#Wholesomegang
Daps
Reppin
Trinidad
5484982_orig.png
that isn't new math that's just how we figured it out in our minds back when we were kids, as we got more familiar we moved on to instantly realising that 70+30=100 so we didn't have to use all those 10's but when writing it on paper we found the answer using the method on the left. All of my math teachers thru the years have said that it's better to know multiple ways to answer a sum.

I don't know about American but back when I was in primary school we had a subject called Mental that was noting but mental math with a time limit, the teacher would say the problems and you had to write the answers in your book, no written working of the sum was allowed then it was on to the next question. Sometimes she'd just ask the sum and point to someone and they had a few seconds to answer it.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thing with maths is that it's one of the few subjects where you cant cram everything two days before an exam and pass other subjects you can easily do this but with maths you actually have to sit down and do as many examples until you get it. Mot people arent willing to sit down 4 hours on a sunday evening and go through exercises

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Once past the basics of math

I'd like to see schools teach money management instead, credit card rates, loans, budgeting. You know thing awe use in real life

I've yet to apply any of the advanced algebra or ridiculous word problems they had me doing in college to real life

What a waste.
Your ability to post on this forum depends entirely on advanced mathematics, as does nearly every aspect of your modern life.
You just haven't used it, but trust if other people thought like you we'd be using stone tools to crack open coconuts for sustenance while baking in the sun right now.

Audemar

Superstar
Daps
What's with all of these "society being bad at Math" threads as of late? :dahell:

Llcoolbay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
St Louis Rams!!!!!
My area it was just that most didnt care. That was all classes tho. Problem with math is like some have already said. You cant really cram for it like other subjects.

Cant tell you how many times I saw people just cram notes notes and practice sheets in their bag only to take it out only when you have math class.