Why is math hard for the general populace

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Math is frustrating to some... Its like a puzzle...

Like a rubics cube... Full of different variations and ways to solve a problem BUT hard to remember the rules.

I like math because I understood it and was taught simple and easy ways to understand it. Like i was teaching my neice a simple way to solve a problem and my sister got mad saying "thats not the way they want them to solve it"...

And i was like so what... She got the same answer right?

Only thing i never cared about was that graphing bullshyt. I swear most of math seems useless but basic math is used in everyday situations...

Like for example, i had to start doing timesheets. I had gone MONTHS without completing a timesheet because honestly, i didnt care. Didnt care about overtime, no one said shyt so i was like :yeshrug:...

Then i got hit up last week to complete all my time sheets for the past 4 months by monday and my schedule is already ridiculous and doesn't match well with the software they use. But i figured out a basic formula on my lunch break and knocked that shyt out in like an hour

Daps
So ...
For you ...

20+20=04???

Instead of 2.30 a gallon at the gas station you see 30.20 cents ??

the symptoms of Dyscalculia are on a sliding scale, I'm at the low end of it so I dont have it that bad I can still count money and pay my bills. I dont see numbers backwards or anything like that

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
I think because people, for the most part, don't understand what they're being taught.

Math isn't just a set of formulas and lemmas and postulates... it's a language. It's an extrapolation of the behavior of the universe.

I was HORRIBLE at math until I understood this. Then one day (during my 3rd attempt at calculus) the scales fell from my eyes and for just the briefest of seconds, I "saw the universe" and it all made sense. I have tried to help others have the same revelation, but really I think you just have to see it for yourself.

Once I realized what math was, it became easy.
What do you mean? Everything just started to Click?

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
I think because people, for the most part, don't understand what they're being taught.

Math isn't just a set of formulas and lemmas and postulates... it's a language. It's an extrapolation of the behavior of the universe.

I was HORRIBLE at math until I understood this. Then one day (during my 3rd attempt at calculus) the scales fell from my eyes and for just the briefest of seconds, I "saw the universe" and it all made sense. I have tried to help others have the same revelation, but really I think you just have to see it for yourself.

I was trying to explain this to a coworker the other day. He said he hates math, i said "if existence was a video game, math would be like the wireframe design of it". he was like "i see what you're trying to say, but i still think it's gay lol".

You're right about the bolded. It's frustrating a bit :pachaha:

On some other shyt, you can map out someone's character by how they feel about math

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
What do you mean? Everything just started to Click?

More like I started to see mathematics in the real world.
When I'd see a car accelerate, I'd see the kinematic equation.
Whenever I'd watch football, I'd note that the football obeys the principal of uniform parabolic motion.
Using a microwave, I'd think about the rate of heat transfer to the food based on it's water content and the heat capacity of water.
shyt like that. And then once you see how that shyt applies to every day life, conceptually, the rest is just arithmetic.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

What was your tipping point?

AJaRuleStan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Killa Queens
The American Schooling system has really regressed in the last 60 years in terms of standards and teaching styles. In point, you can graduate HS with terrible math skills which limits the incentive for ppl to work hard at being proficient at math.

Teachers fail at making the argument to their students why the concepts behind mathematically thinking should be valued and how it relates back to general problem solving skills.