Why is math hard for the general populace

Tetsuo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Texas
shyt starts off easy as hell, then with each grade it's gets harder.

Elementary - :pachaha:

Middle school- :ohhh: :dwillhuh:

High School- :what:

College- :mjcry: "I'm not gon' graduate this semester"

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
best post in the thread. math is really just a language. i do not agree that it is an extrapolation of the behavior of the universe though - i don't know where you even got that. a lot of the practical / applied math now was useless for the longest time. calculus and graph theory were born out of practical needs but number theory did not really find a practical utility up until the 70s when it was used in cryptography.

Extrapolation in that we observe the universe, then we come up with mathematics to describe what we see.

Yes, calculus was born out of practical needs, but even before we knew what calculus was, the rates of change of things were happening all around us. We just hadn't extrapolated those observations into a working language (calculus) until Newton needed it to try to solve the 3-body problem.

FSP

Banned
Daps
Extrapolation in that we observe the universe, then we come up with mathematics to describe what we see.

Yes, calculus was born out of practical needs, but even before we knew what calculus was, the rates of change of things were happening all around us. We just hadn't extrapolated those observations into a working language (calculus) until Newton needed it to try to solve the 3-body problem.
BTW, the discovery of calculus is an extremely interesting topic that everyone should read up on even if you don't like math at all. It's still insane to believe Newton did this almost 400 years ago when he was only 19 :laugh:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
fukk math. What I look like caring about a math problem? I have real problems ya dig. None of that bullcrap, sissy, Einstein, fig newton, imaginary number shyt.
I'm an artist. I see the world in colors. HD baby. Don't need numbers for that
:dame:

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because there is no accountability in the American public school system. In Finland you have to have a masters degree or higher to teach middle school. The ones who apply themselves are usually being forced to by proactive parents at first before the student begins to apply themselves on their own. Not everyone has that support system tho. Of course there are those who apply themselves of their own free will but they are not the majority.

Daps
One out of five americans is a essentially illiterate. Math struggles don't surprise me. I was really bored with it until I got into code. I had to keep at it though. Outside of making change, most people don't think they need math.

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
Yes thank you, but I dont have a major in computer-science so that info is irrelevant to me and should only be used on those who manipulate those numbers.

I'm talking real life every day use, not "the whole damn chalkboard" math problems that doesn't help the casual person in life.
One example of real life day use, is to work out whether retail sale or 2 for 1 deals are really worth it.

Daps
Reppin
Canada
They make learning useless parts of math a requirement for University programs that don't require them anyway.

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
For me its all mental. My dad is a electrical engineer. Loves math. My younger brother is in IT. Loves math also.

I distinctly remember being a shorty and my uncle one day saying how he HATED math and Algebra was so hard and impossible. That one lil phrase was imprinted on my mind and i approached advanced mathematics as if it was almost impossible.

I basically pysched myself out:yeshrug:

I excelled in all other subjects.. math i had to literally scrape to get mid level c's.:francis:

Daps

That's one way of looking at things. I just personally don't see it that way. I look at math as an intellectual sport that can potentially be useful but isn't a lot of the time.

THOT CATALOG

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I feel you breh.
Speaking for myself, I've had mostly horrible math teachers. I've prolly only had 2 good math teachers in my whole life and they were when I was in middle school (which was a magnet school for the performing arts which prolly explains the higher quality of teachers) The rest have been from average to garbage as fukk and this including the college level.

I found it hard to connect with what was being taught because it was done in such disdainful haste. Like these math teachers really gave no fukks if you learned it or not and would speed through lessons and belittle you for asking questions.

Every subject has its share of bad teachers, but I've come across more bad teachers in math than in any other subject. :manny:

Teachers are one of the highest paid and most noble professions in Japan, for good reason. They're raising the next generation. Teaching in America and Canada isnt taken as seriously.

Parents in NA have to spend out the ass for good tutors because the teachers can't teach. Ya there is the odd kid that doesn't want to be there and shyt but hes the exception.

Not sure if it's by design because if students understood the interest and financial math chapter of grade 11 then they would shyt their pants when signing for a student loan at 8% interest.

I was the obnoxious kid in class that didn't pay attention to shyt because school was forced on me so I acted out. Looking back most of my teachers weren't shyt either and didn't care about my scenario or what they could do to make sure I paid attention in class and shyt. They just half assed the lessons and went home.