Why is @Liquid and others acting like backwards compatibility is a big deal suddenly?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Don't ever quote me with a Don Mattrick line :laff:

I am not arguing about the process, what I am arguing is that Sony found it "worth the time" to buy out Gaikai and set up an entire network for what is essentially backwards compatibility...no matter how hard you try to spin it.
PSNOW isnt about BC.
Its about the ability to play certain games on abandoned platforms and PCs.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don't ever quote me with a Don Mattrick line :laff:

I am not arguing about the process, what I am arguing is that Sony found it "worth the time" to buy out Gaikai and set up an entire network for what is essentially backwards compatibility...no matter how hard you try to spin it.
You can keep saying PS Now is essentially BC all you want, the fact that PS Now came out day one on PS Vita proves otherwise.

The shyt is on PS3 for crying out loud.

It's hardly a suitable replacement. How is paying to stream games BC? You don't pay to insert discs in your PS4.

Breh, i'm done. You know good and well what I"m saying has truth to it you're just being intellectually dishonest.

Peace.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
PS3 = Traded in by everyone to buy a PS4
PS4 = Abandoned by Sony. Why else would they be releasing the Neo
Vita = Do I even have to explain this one
Smart TV = Who needs one when I have an XB1
Hell yeah don't forget @itsdumb!! said that EVERYONE who wanted a pS4 has one already so 40 million PS4's is the max it will sell. Forget about it. Maybe another 2-3 mill if Sony scraps a few sales.

I'm waiting on the guy complaining about "Well I want NEW GAMES fukk! :dahell: I barely play this PS4 anyway and y'all worrying about playing shyt I played already :snoop:?"

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
You can keep saying PS Now is essentially BC all you want, the fact that PS Now came out day one on PS Vita proves otherwise.

The shyt is on PS3 for crying out loud.

It's hardly a suitable replacement. How is paying to stream games BC? You don't pay to insert discs in your PS4.

Breh, i'm done. You know good and well what I"m saying has truth to it you're just being intellectually dishonest.

Peace.
Whatever, clearly they are going to try to maximize what they can get out of the service. Why NOT add it to the other platforms when the option is there? That is a smart business move.

Just because it's on PS3 doesn't mean the network was not built out with backwards compatibility in mind. Listen breh, you are doing A LOT of spinning.

What is Sony's primary money maker? Who does a service like this primarily target? Why is a feature that Sony introduced in one way or another for 16 years in their home gaming consoles all of a sudden missing? It is right there in front of your eyes and you are casually glossing all that shyt over because PS NOW is also on the PS3. I am willing to bet that most subscribers to this service are PS4 owners.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Whatever, clearly they are going to try to maximize what they can get out of the service. Why NOT add it to the other platforms when the option is there? That is a smart business move.

Just because it's on PS3 doesn't mean the network was not built out with backwards compatibility in mind. Listen breh, you are doing A LOT of spinning.

What is Sony's primary money maker? Who does a service like this primarily target? Why is a feature that Sony introduced in one way or another for 16 years in their home gaming consoles all of a sudden missing? It is right there in front of your eyes and you are casually glossing all that shyt over because PS NOW is also on the PS3. I am willing to bet that most subscribers to this service are PS4 owners.
:russell:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
A bit of searching:

PS4 backwards compatibility: 433K results

Can you play PS3 games on PS4? 1.7M results

PlayStation NOW Backwards Compatibility: 1.5M results

Look at a few of the links on that first page of results, here is one to explain how people view this:
How does PS4 backwards compatibility work? | WIPS4

PS NOW is viewed as a backwards compatibility "alternative" and people do INDEED care about backwards compatibility...keep believing as this is some surprise to you. You guys really need to start being a little more objective when it comes to these things. People like to call me some XBOX hater, but in fact I think I shyt on SONY more often tbh.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You have no answer :youngsabo:
No, the shyt you're saying is just logical leaps and don't make sense at all:

Why is a feature that Sony introduced in one way or another for 16 years in their home gaming consoles all of a sudden missing?
You know why but your tinfoil wearin ass gonna keep thinking it's some conspiracy that Sony just doesn't want it at all and it's just some elbow grease and a flick of a switch away from working.

You're ignoring reality and just going full blown armchair person. You said already you're not arguing about the process but then you are because this very process is what's keeping BC where it's at now:Uncharted.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A bit of searching:

PS4 backwards compatibility: 433K results

Can you play PS3 games on PS4? 1.7M results

PlayStation NOW Backwards Compatibility: 1.5M results

Look at a few of the links on that first page of results, here is one to explain how people view this:
How does PS4 backwards compatibility work? | WIPS4

PS NOW is viewed as a backwards compatibility "alternative" and people do INDEED care about backwards compatibility...keep believing as this is some surprise to you. You guys really need to start being a little more objective when it comes to these things. People like to call me some XBOX hater, but in fact I think I shyt on SONY more often tbh.
People view the Wii U as an accessory to the Wii. Doesn't make it true.

Like I said, your anecdotal points and extreme logical gymnastics is embarrassing. You've clearly got a lot to learn and the fact that you're a mod is hilarious. You hardly know what you're talking about 60% of the time and got the nerve to be telling people they need to be more objective :mjlol:

What's NOT objective about there being serious technical blocks in porting PS3 games over to PS4?? What's NOT objective about the fact that licenses are also an issue when bringing games to BC?? Every xbox 360 game doesn't even work on Xbox One(214 out of over a thousand.)

I posted actual commentary from the most renowned dev for Sony about porting games and you just straight up ignored and go "Nah they can do it!" on some forest gump shyt.

Yeah, they CAN probably succesfully emulate some simple games on PS3 for PS4, doesn't mean it'll be worth it.

I'm sure you'll destroy my argument with some youtube videos of some arcade/indie games running at 20fps on powerful modern PC's as proof that Sony just doesn't want to do it.

You'll then conveniently have to now go back on the "PS4 is weak!" talking point you love to spew because then it'd contradict your whole argument :mjlol:

The only one being subjective here is YOU :stopitslime:

Last edited:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I always saw BC as a "gimmick" for the early adapters... what it did was allow you to purchase the new system and still play the old games without unhooking the new system until the new system games are up to par to what we (the company) feels they should be..

For those who have a reading comprehension problem ... I'm not calling it a cheap gimmick... I'm calling it a ploy the companies are using

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
here, let's use actual facts based on reality and not just wishful thinking and armchair analysis:

When considering client-side (as opposed to cloud-based) backwards compatibility, there's basically two options: Sony could either use software emulation or they could include the old PS3 chips in the new PS4's design.

Both of these option have significant problems.

For software emulation, the PS4 would have to be an estimated 10x to 15x more powerful than the PS3 to make this happen. Currently, the PS4 simply isn't powerful enough to successfully pull this off while rendering PS3 games at full speed. While this may change in the future (as developers become more efficient), I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.

Let's not forget that the PS3 had a six-core processor as it's heart whereas the PS1 and PS2 was only a single-core. Just getting the timing right for a software emulated six-core processor is a monumental task and likely not worth the effort it would take to pull off.

As for including the old PS3 chips inside the PS4 (like the original model PS2 and PS3 did in order to run PS1 and PS2 games respectively), this would increase the cost of manufacturing the console and thus increase the cost to the consumer. Sony made that mistake once already with the original PS3 (one of the reasons it was $599 on release) and they aren't going to make that mistake again.

Furthermore, the added heat caused by including the old chips would create a significant challenge in and of itself. If Sony took this route, they'd end up with a massive franken-console; bigger than the original Xbox and with enough fans to drown out a refrigerator!

Neither of these two options are currently feasible.

Today: Why no Backwards Compatability in PS4

Because there were many reasons, first they picked a new more powerful architecure, one that was easy to make games for (a dramatic change as this would mean games would be cheaper to make for developers) but would ultimately be incompatable with the PS3.

But they could have included a mini-ps3 inside the PS4. If they had done that it would have had a collial effect on the production of the console, the PS4 with a PS3 inside would:

• be $100-$150 more expensive
  • be significantly larger, to accomidate new parts inside and the airflow to cool the existing and new parts effectively.
  • have a shorter lifespan, with more parts and heat means more things that can go wrong. A small issue with the PS3 inside could bring the whole system down.
Ultimately, the PS4 with backwards compatability would be a worse deal in the long run, especially considering that most research on backwards compatibility says that it is not used that often.

Nah, let's just play dumb and go "Sony can do it too! :stopitslime:"

Waste time trying to port Mod Nation Racers for PS4 breh.