Why is @Liquid and others acting like backwards compatibility is a big deal suddenly?

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
Always been important, this is how Microsoft gets back some of those dedicated 360 fans they lost to PS4. That's who they targeting with this.

And as someone who still runs the SNES from time to time, and plays dreamcast damn near daily, BC is real important to me. Especially since Xbox BC adds the features we've gotten use to like DVR and twitch streaming.

That doesn't make sense.

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
Makes perfect sense, majority from back then still have their 360 games, and as they showed when Black Ops 1 came out, they'll still play the 360 games if given a platform. So why not try to get good will by letting them know they can still play the games they own.

Or they have could have just kept their 360 and kept it moving.

If you still and continue to play the games, why ditch the system and buy into a completely different ecosystem(PS4)?

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Or they have could have just kept their 360 and kept it moving.

If you still and continue to play the games, why ditch the system and buy into a completely different ecosystem(PS4)?
I personally wouldn't, and definitely still play the 360 itself. But folks be eager to trade in consoles and shyt.

So they don't have the physical console or games anymore. But if they bought the games digitally back in the day, pretty convenient to automatically have that game again without having to pay. And in general, that Xbox One reveal rubbed a lot of hardcore 360 gamers the wrong way, and just now starting to trust MS again with Phil Spencer in charge.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Well considering that Sony bought out and BUILT a network to support old games...I think that's enough proof that old games do matter.

Just because Sony has decided not to emulate the PS3 hardware on PS4 makes it irrelevant or something people stopped caring about.

We have ALWAYS cared. NO COMPROMISES especially when the hardware now will be able to do it.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
In fact, now that I think about it...it's kinda silly NOT to add backwards compatibility right from the jump.

How nice is it to jump to a "next gen" with a library of 1000+ games you can start playing on with the addition of the launch titles? It just makes good business sense. I hope Microsoft adds support for the old original xbox games as well. Why the fukk not...I want to play Crimson Skies.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well considering that Sony bought out and BUILT a network to support old games...I think that's enough proof that old games do matter.

Just because Sony has decided not to emulate the PS3 hardware on PS4 makes it irrelevant or something people stopped caring about.

We have ALWAYS cared. NO COMPROMISES especially when the hardware now will be able to do it.
So basically PS3 emulation isn't on PS4 because *adjusts tinfoil hat*Evil Sony decided NOT to and instead wants to push PS Now for BC... on PS3/Vita/PS4 etc. *adjusts tinfoil hat*.
:stopitslime:

Nah man, something which sounds more logical is that PS3 BC for PS4 is significantly more complicated and it's probably a waste of time and resources.
Most major games are remastered and on top of that there's still people crying about "no gamezuh!". Work on new shyt. If a breakthrough happens that allows PS3 BC, oh well but it's not a big deal. Hell, even PS3 emulation on PC on significantly more powerful hardware is barely working e.g. 15fps, graphical issues, no sound, slowdown etc. Good luck getting that on a weaker PS4.

Emulation on XB1 for 360 is not evidence that it's just Sony deciding not to pursue it. Knowing how even ports on 360 >PS3 were a headache because of the cell is very relevant. Dealing with that, in addition to licensing(because that's also a role in BC as several 360 games had to be "ok'd" before even added to the BC list, you can see it's just a big time sink.

Streaming the games is a partial "well you can do this at least.." and is nowhere near as complicated as porting a game over.

Ignoring that and just going "Sony needs to do better!" is just intellectually lazy.

Last edited:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
So basically PS3 emulation isn't on PS4 because *adjusts tinfoil hat*Evil Sony decided NOT to and instead wants to push PS Now for BC... on PS3/Vita/PS4 etc. *adjusts tinfoil hat*.
:stopitslime:

Nah man, something which sounds more logical is that PS3 BC for PS4 is significantly more complicated and it's probably a waste of time and resources.
Most major games are remastered and on top of that there's still people crying about "no gamezuh!". Work on new shyt. If a breakthrough happens that allows PS3 BC, oh well but it's not a big deal. Hell, even PS3 emulation on PC on significantly more powerful hardware is barely working e.g. 15fps, graphical issues, no sound, slowdown etc. Good luck getting that on a weaker PS4.

Emulation on XB1 for 360 is not evidence that it's just Sony deciding not to pursue it. Knowing how even ports on 360 >PS3 were a headache because of the cell is very relevant. Ignoring that and just going "Sony needs to do better!" is just intellectually lazy.
So it's a waste of time to emulate, but not to buy out a fukking company and built this elaborate ass network just to play games via "the cloud"?

You cannot be serious right now breh, if Sony really wanted to they can get that PS3 emulated on the PS4. Stop giving them a pass.

• Dap
Reactions: PS4

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So it's a waste of time to emulate, but not to buy out a fukking company and built this elaborate ass network just to play games via "the cloud"

You cannot be serious right now breh, if Sony really wanted to they can get that PS3 emulated on the PS4. Stop giving them a pass.
Breh, you're smarter than this.:francis:

Streaming a game works one way and one way only: Streaming.

There's no porting/coding changes to be done. It's just literally PS3's streaming to the PS4.

Backwards compatiblitiy is a case by case basis. EVERY game isn't the same so every game isn't just a flip of a switch that allows it to work.

Again, stop ignoring all the real roadblocks that's well documented just to be on some "Nah they can do it if they want!".

You keep saying "they can do it" but you ignore how LIMITED this BC solution is even right now on the Xbox One. There's THOUSANDS of games out for 360 of which only 214 are working. Clearly since it's so easy and just a flick of a switch, what is Microsoft waiting on?

Hell, we already know the reason Microsoft is pursuing it now is because of their position and incentive to move 360 users over to Xbox One and whatnot. M$ was the SAME cats that said it wasn't worth it and only 5% of their users actually used it.
Backward compatibility is 'backwards' thinking, says Microsoft's Don Mattrick

Suddenly things ain't go right and we are here today. let's not kid ourselves breh.

Last edited:

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
Hmm idk.

I do know the 360 wouldn't have sold like it did on launch if halo 2 wasn't BC with multiplayer from jump. Since the launch lineup was considered weak.

I wouldn't even have bothered with my PS3 and wouldn't even have it actively hooked up now if it wasn't for BC. It's why I never upgraded to the PS4. A big reason I held off of the Xbox one was because of no BC along with a weak launch lineup.

These are 2 completely different gaming generations though. A lot of time has passed and huge changes in the industry as well.

I know I didn't answer the question in the OP but I'm hopefully offering some honest insight about the BC situation in a perspective rant.

I feel like the BC thing is overhyped these days due to stanning and agendas and also because if they really wanted to play those games that badly they would just keep their previous console.

Idk

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Breh, you're smarter than this.

Streaming a game works one way and one way only: Streaming.

There's no porting/coding changes to be done. It's just literally PS3's streaming to the PS4.

Backwards compatiblitiy is a case by case basis. EVERY game isn't the same so every game isn't just a flip of a switch that allows it to work.

Again, stop ignoring all the real roadblocks that's well documented just to be on some "Nah they can do it if they want!".

You keep saying "they can do it" but you ignore how LIMITED this BC solution is even right now on the Xbox One. There's THOUSANDS of games out for 360 of which only 214 are working. Clearly since it's so easy and just a flick of a switch, what is Microsoft waiting on?

Hell, we already know the reason Microsoft is pursuing it now is because of their position and incentive to move 360 users over to Xbox One and whatnot. M$ was the SAME cats that said it wasn't worth it and only 5% of their users actually used it.
Backward compatibility is 'backwards' thinking, says Microsoft's Don Mattrick

Suddenly things ain't go right and we are here today. let's not kid ourselves breh.
Don't ever quote me with a Don Mattrick line :laff:

I am not arguing about the process, what I am arguing is that Sony found it "worth the time" to buy out Gaikai and set up an entire network for what is essentially backwards compatibility...no matter how hard you try to spin it.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
I still gotta backwards compatible ps3 and play ps2 games regularly, but the bc shyt is overrated. Until ps2 that shyt wasn't even the norm. Can't play snes on n64, can't play Saturn in dreamcast. That shyt cool to have but that's not what got ps4 for. I wouldn't be mad if they threw it in there though and it's cool that xbox got it.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Let's take it a step further and use actual devs who describe making some remasters as being "hell":

The Last of Us, developer Naughty Dog's post-apocalyptic action game, was so deeply optimized for the PlayStation 3 that porting it to the PlayStation 4 was "hell," creative director Neil Druckmann told Edge.

"I wish we had a button that was like ‘Turn On PS4 Mode’, but no," Druckmann said. "We expected it to be hell, and it was hell. Just getting an image onscreen, even an inferior one with the shadows broken, lighting broken and with it crashing every 30 seconds … that took a long time. These engineers are some of the best in the industry and they optimized the game so much for the PS3’s SPUs specifically. It was optimized on a binary level, but after shifting those things over, you have to go back to the high level, make sure the systems are intact, and optimize it again.

"I can’t describe how difficult a task that is. And once it’s running well, you’re running the [versions] side by side to make sure you didn’t screw something up in the process, like physics being slightly off, which throws the game off, or lighting being shifted and all of a sudden it’s a drastically different look. That’s not ‘improved’ any more; that’s different. We want to stay faithful while being better."
ND are some of the best devs on PS3 and they describe it as being hard as hell but you seem to think a bunch of devs are going to just waste time going through "hell" to get old games working?? It's obviously much better to just remaster the game and sell new copies than to waste time getting old shyt to work. Let's be real here, Microsoft needs this shyt more than Sony does. Not giving Sony a pass because it's not on there, I'm just saying people acting like BC is a deal breaker is sort of suspicious.

Last edited: