Why don't we as Black folks make a bigger deal out of the abysmal failing schools that the kids of our community attend.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
People need to get real. Mexicans are going to the same schools and don’t even speak English but are outperforming our kids. Teachers doing tiktok dances to the alphabet isn’t the answer.

My opinion on “it’s the schools“ changes when I saw how the generation behind me performed.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Is that what i said? I said very clearly for most of these kids you can not outschool the home life. If the parents (most likely parent) are not reading with their children, making sure they are doing their homework, keeping watch on their grades, looking for assistance if their children have issues, etc..... then there is very little a school can do.

Some of us have a problem with thinking education starts and ends outside of the home, when it should be inside of the home.
This this this

Plus the shytty behavior modeled at home/in the neighborhood they grow up in and then they taken this to school and not only are they behind academically, they then disrupt the whole class and fukk ip the learning environment for other kids. Only so much an already under-resourced school can deal with

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
People need to get real. Mexicans are going to the same schools and don’t even speak English but are outperforming our kids. Teachers doing tiktok dances to the alphabet isn’t the answer.

My opinion on “it’s the schools“ changes when I saw how the generation behind me performed.
America as a whole is behind most countries in education, now explain that

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
It's not the education systems fault. It's the parent's fault period. It is not the education system's job to pick up in every aspect the parent is lacking, and it's absurd to blame the schools and expect them to carry more responsibilities because parents are going to have as many kids as they want.

My aunt works for an elementary school in Philly and those kids have brought drugs and guns to school. We talking no older than 5th grade.

When trying to have conversations with parents about their children's behavior they've attempted to fight her several times. She's been cursed out several times. What should be done in those situations where the child is causing chaos in class and when having a parent teacher conference you clearly see where the child gets their influence from? If the parent decides to show up at all?

Just because "no one can stop people from having kids" doesn't mean all of the blame for where the future of children are headed is suddenly now the school's fault.

There is no state or government aid that can change the fact that people need to raise their children better and until that happens there will be no solution.
How do you force parents to be good parents?

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
Kids need to be on a projection and be around others with similar family values. You have to actually know who your kid is instead of doing the absentee parenting thing. Also must be instilled with winners mentality and accomplishment mentality. It starts from within the parents themselves. You have to be on their ass and your peers gotta be the same for their kids. The in-group influences the individual towards it or away from it. Usually it's towards

RehReh

🖤GhettoEmpress🖤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Education starts at home
Flexi learning is an option
Going outside of your immediate zone is viable
Volunteering your services and becoming safety compliant is also a start.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
This a multifaceted problem.

Are there issues with today's parents. Yes. I do not think enough of them are intimately involved in their child(ren)'s education. Especially when so much of it is as written as it is digital (tablet, Chromebook etc).

But also you have to look at the median income of that city. Most majority Black cities are working class/poor. So the funding is limited. This also why these cities are trying to attract higher earners (white people) by building condo units to attract people from richer cities/suburbs. Plus teachers are already underpaid so getting teachers who can teach in those lower income areas and stay are becoming fewer and farer in between.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
A lot of Black children ENTER the school system at a deficit.
Those who are educators could explain it better than I can, but between the time the children are born and the time they enter 1, K, or pre-K, many haven't developed and progressed in language and math skills compared to children of other races.
The achievement gap starts before they enter public schools, and it only gets wider along the way.

Have seen this said, reported and cited multiple times over the decades. But again, a member who is an active educator can tell you the most recent and accurate version of this story.

People can find the time, money, and resources for the things they prioritize. Clearly, education is not one of those things for many people.

Last edited: