Why Don't Many Black Folks Know That Abraham Lincoln Tried To Deport Blacks After The Civil War?

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
That's actually correct. Lincoln always believed that Blacks were inferior biologically, but he did attempt to think about keeping us here at the very tail end; his last few months are very complex as he wrestled with colonization and suffrage. Good post homie.
The way I see it is that if you look at old white historical figures you're going to find some blemishes that by today's standards (and really any standards) you can call wrong and it's the same for Lincoln I mean in a documentary I watched once I heard that he fought for a slave owner to get his slaves back as a lawyer but it's important to look at it in context and see how much of a struggle it would be for someone to break way from the influences of their environment especially when racism was apart of academia.
So on one hand I firmly agree that he was probably a racist but he was also someone who always had a dislike for the institution of slavery and was capable of thinking of some black people as equals such as his neighbor back from his mixed town in Springfield and rose above the mentality of many to make progress for a group of oppressed people.
It's not right for people to paint him as holy infallible figure but it's also not right for people to paint him as an evil man who only issued the emancipation proclamation as a military strategy when their was a long and complicated build up throughout his life.
I'll always believe he was a great man, if there's any ore civil rights movement great president I'm lukewarm towards on the topic of race relations it's FDR.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
The way I see it is that if you look at old white historical figures you're going to find some blemishes that by today's standards (and really any standards) you can call wrong and it's the same for Lincoln I mean in a documentary I watched once I heard that he fought for a slave owner to get his slaves back as a lawyer but it's important to look at it in context and see how much of a struggle it would be for someone to break way from the influences of their environment especially when racism was apart of academia.
So on one hand I firmly agree that he was probably a racist but he was also someone who always had a dislike for the institution of slavery and was capable of thinking of some black people as equals such as his neighbor back from his mixed town in Springfield and rose above the mentality of many to make progress for a group of oppressed people.
It's not right for people to paint him as holy infallible figure but it's also not right for people to paint him as an evil man who only issued the emancipation proclamation as a military strategy when their was a long and complicated build up throughout his life.
I'll always believe he was a great man, if there's any ore civil rights movement great president I'm lukewarm towards on the topic of race relations it's FDR.
I wouldn't go so far as to call him a great man, as I'm not a student of the Thomas Carlyle school of thought, but I do believe that his decision making was critical to the changing structure of the United States. However, like you said, we must always place Lincoln in the proper context of his role in emancipation, which school systems and most historical sources do not do as of yet. Its up to us to revise the narratives to be more accurate and reflect real critical assessment. The truth is 95 percent of emancipation was caused by the slaves themselves while the other 5 percent was the union/Lincoln.

PoPimp84

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Back seat of a Caddy
:scusthov: quit sucking those lincoln logs

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
:scusthov: quit sucking those lincoln logs
When I say great man I'm not necessarily hero worshipping him it's that I'm acknowledging the feats in terms of leadership he had to perform to keep the union together and the way he was slightly progressive thinker in the context of his time despite his flaws.

PoPimp84

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Back seat of a Caddy
When I say great man I'm not necessarily hero worshipping him it's that I'm acknowledging the feats in terms of leadership he had to perform to keep the union together and the way he was slightly progressive thinker in the context of his time despite his flaws.

In that context I see your point. Lincoln had more on his plate than any other US President ever, and none of them would envy what he had to deal with during his presidency.

Though I do respect a man who sets his sights on a goal and accomplishes it, in this case preserving the union. If I was white he may have been my role model but I'm not and couldnt give a fukk if the union was preserved while boots and ropes were on my people's necks.

It's all about perception, as a African-American who reads about American history I could never look upon ole Abe with any reverence. fukk em, John Wilkes Boothe is as much an American hero as Lincoln.

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/greeley.htm

Last edited:

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Read the op, it says he wanted to ship free blacks to Panama to help build a canal. Taking freed to be slaves somewhere else, these are the cacs you want to join hands and pray with.....

Digga38

The seperation between what's fake and what's real
Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
Bigger point than this explanation people are stating..............

Point being it clearly shows that we were only wanted and used for one sole purpose and should be a learning lesson fast forward to today as to the reason we're going through all this shyt. Experiments,Brutality,murders,coverted attacks on the communities by the government either politically,economically and socially every generation....they've been trying to get rid of us, and negroes still want to believe otherwise...:francis:
getting rid of (cops,jails,aids,homosexuality) is different then getting rid of (send back to africa)

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I always knew Abe:mjpls: felt WE were inferior to his CaC kind, and freeing US was just a moral victory for his AmeriKKKan legacy: As I get older (31:old:), and wiser, it infuriates me at

all the implemented DuckTales "the school system" gets away with, constitutionally:scust:

...word to Dead Prez: What are they teaching our kids in these school buildings:sadcam:

AwkwardHand

Hand in awkward places
Daps
Reppin
DUUUVALLL
Even if he was successful in it and we got deported, whites would still try to fukk with us. Just like breh said earlier in this thread.

We can't have our own shyt, it bothers them to the point they have to come and try to fukk it up.