Why Don't Many Black Folks Know That Abraham Lincoln Tried To Deport Blacks After The Civil War?

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Common Knowledge? Try walking up to the average Black man and woman and asking this, I guarantee you it wouldn't be common knowledge.

And I don't feel shyt for Ulysses Grant....he was an owner of slaves........like the majority of the presidents. All devils who are resting in piss..

Grant actually owned one slave himself as well:
Grant himself owned a slave named William Jones, acquired from his father-in-law. At a time when he could have desperately used the money from the sale of Jones, Grant signed a document that gave him his freedom.
Grant freed this slave in 1859.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
great thread. What i got from this is that Lincoln came to the realization that blacks and whites are tooo different and will never be able to coexist. Ive said the same thing in various other threads. My reasoning is obviously different than his, but ive come to the exact same conclusion. Blacks will NEVER live peacefully as long as we're living among whites.To me, blacks and whites are damn near 2 different species. Our differences are faaar more than just skin color. And why are cats in here keep saying "i thought this was common knowledge?" No its not. Whites are manipulating the past and the media to benefit THEIR image. Thats why its up to US to build with one another and to pass down knowledge of the past to the younger generation.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Soldiers born in the enemies land. Scrambling to survive and fight while hoping for supporters or the finishing blow to win the war against racist whites.

That's what we always been.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
You really have to educate yourself and your children beyond what is taught in school.

I remember learning about Lincoln :obama:

Then learning about Lincoln :ohhh:

Then learning more about Lincoln :pacspit:

But I am glad my progression was what it was because as a child, somethings you aren't ready for and to enjoy your childhood you should be be ignorant of somethings until you can better handle them. You will rarely get all the information from one source. As a black person in America standard education is not set up for you. History classes are not your history and American History is laughable.

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
Why would they teach kids about all the negative their people have done? and to add on most if not all cacs dont even give a fukk that their ancestors did all that shyt.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always thought this was somewhat common knowledge. Here's a quote from Lincoln from the Lincoln-Douglas debates.

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And in as much as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything. I do not understand that because I do not want a negro woman for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. My understanding is that I can just let her alone"

Though he also said

"I should like to know, if taking this old Declaration of Independence, which declares that all men are equal upon principle, and making exceptions to it, where will it stop? If one man says it does not mean a negro, why may not another man say it does not mean another man? If that declaration is not the truth, let us get this statute book in which we find it and tear it out.

Let us discard all this quibbling about this man and the other man—this race and that race and the other race being inferior, and therefore they must be placed in an inferior position, discarding our standard that we have left us. Let us discard all these things, and unite as one people throughout this land, until we shall once more stand up declaring that all men are created equal."

I respect what Lincoln says here:

"I should like to know, if taking this old Declaration of Independence, which declares that all men are equal upon principle, and making exceptions to it, where will it stop? If one man says it does not mean a negro, why may not another man say it does not mean another man? If that declaration is not the truth, let us get this statute book in which we find it and tear it out. Let us discard all this quibbling about this man and the other man—this race and that race and the other race being inferior, and therefore they must be placed in an inferior position, discarding our standard that we have left us. Let us discard all these things, and unite as one people throughout this land, until we shall once more stand up declaring that all men are created equal."

^
Lincoln basically says that all men should have rights in America and that racism should be discarded for the mantra that all men indeed created equal under the law. :banderas:

LadySimone

Banned
Daps
Just another thing missing from the Textbooks..............

Right as I always do....That being said......The fact that this is yet one of many early presidents that are revered as "heroic" and "freedom fighters" were nothing but inhumane racists, who's legacies have been "shined" up.

Same with Thomas Jefferson who was nothing but a slave owning pedophilic rapist, but is revered....people have to find out the hard way after they have "loved" them for years

Negroes need to see that ole Abe was a slave owning racist, who really wanted to get rid of Black people as fast as possible, but the narrative is he was the one that "granted our freedom"...oh how wonderful of him........:sas2:

Historical relativism. For his time compared to his contemporaries he was ahead of his time. Wanting blacks to repatriate is morally more favourable than wanting to keep them as slaves.

Andrew Johnson who took over after Lincoln signed the 14th amendment which in theory was supposed to make repatriation null and void. Immediately after the civil war we were NOT citizens so if anything we were being deported like all other aliens would.

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
In context, at that point, sending slaves 'back to Africa' wouldn't be a negative thing. Their generation were not that far removed from Africa.

Bigger point than this explanation people are stating..............

Point being it clearly shows that we were only wanted and used for one sole purpose and should be a learning lesson fast forward to today as to the reason we're going through all this shyt. Experiments,Brutality,murders,coverted attacks on the communities by the government either politically,economically and socially every generation....they've been trying to get rid of us, and negroes still want to believe otherwise...:francis:

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I thought most Black people that knew anything about history knew this. If I was alive back then I think I would of preferred to go back to Africa. Of course just a few years later all of Africa was colonized(Except Ethiopia). Basically we were fukked either way.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Another thing that kills me is that if Lincoln wasnt assassinated he might have gotten away with it, and it was white people who kept us here inadvertently... :mjlol:

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Another thing that kills me is that if Lincoln wasnt assassinated he might have gotten away with it, and it was white people who kept us here inadvertently... :mjlol:
It really wouldn't be "getting away" with it because Lincoln saw Colonization as a voluntary option for freed slaves as he didn't believe racial harmony in the US was possible and that they weren't actual citizen's in the normal sense just aliens in a land that they were forced into and that they would probably want to go back "home".
But by the end of his presidency Lincoln's views on colonization had cooled down a lot and he was flirting with the idea of granting limited suffrage to blacks and that was the last speech he gave before he was killed.
At least that's what I remember.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
It really wouldn't be "getting away" with it because Lincoln saw Colonization as a voluntary option for freed slaves as he didn't believe racial harmony in the US was possible and that they weren't actual citizen's in the normal sense just aliens in a land that they were forced into and that they would probably want to go back "home".
But by the end of his presidency Lincoln's views on colonization had cooled down a lot and he was flirting with the idea of granting limited suffrage to blacks and that was the last speech he gave before he was killed.
At least that's what I remember.
That's actually correct. Lincoln always believed that Blacks were inferior biologically, but he did attempt to think about keeping us here at the very tail end; his last few months are very complex as he wrestled with colonization and suffrage. Good post homie.