Why doesn't Once Upon A Time in America get more props?

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The film is a classic, I enjoyed the epic long version. I too have thought about why it's slept on, one reason could be because none of the characters have any redeemable qualities or traits people would like to see in themselves.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
1) Multiple versions of the same film, different lengths. The full version is Mini series length, and wasn't released here until it came out on DVD

2) Weird p*do element of the film that might fly in European arts cinema circles, but not in American general audience

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Incredible film. I guess it doesn't get enough props because Godfather and others got there first. Also Leone is better known for his classic westerns.

He spent like 10 years trying to get this film funded, and its not easy mainstream content.

Uncle Baby Billy

All Star
Daps
Watched the longest version and enjoyed it except for the rapes and the weird garbage truck death..why did they make it that so unclear?.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I love this movie, and I've always loved it. The acting is top notch, and the story is incredible.

But it is a slow burn, like Sergio's other films. I do think people dislike it because there's no endearing character. They're all selfish POSs, even amongst each other.

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
"Kid stuff".

:wow:

Whoever did the costumes, scenery design/historacl accuracy should have gotten an Oscar. I didn't check, so maybe they did

The edited version is garbage, no way a movie like this should not be the length it is

Unlike its modern critical success, the initial American release did not fare well with critics and received no Academy Awardnominations.[60] The film's music was disqualified from Oscar consideration for a technicality,[61] as the studio accidentally omitted the composer's name from the opening credits when trimming its running time for the American release.[34]

Has Ennio Morricone ever made a bad music score?

Last edited:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I finally watched this film for the first time a few months ago

the other night, i was watching a documentary on youtube, woke up the next morning and Once Upon A Time was on