Why doesn't Once Upon A Time in America get more props?

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Its too long.

Jennifer Connelly was one of my biggest crushes in the 90s :noah:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Which ending? There are different endings depending on the cut

the one that ends with the second to last scene of Noodles meeting back up w/ Max years later and their old at Max's mansion/party and at the end of Max revealing he faked his death and reinvented him. after their exchange, when Noodles is leaving and he looks back at the mansion, Max comes out as the garbage truck pulls up between them and then Max is nowhere to be seen after the trunk has grinded trash and moved pass them.

then it goes back to Max being back in the opium den, getting high again and smiling

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
the one that ends with the second to last scene of Noodles meeting back up w/ Max years later and their old at Max's mansion/party and at the end of Max revealing he faked his death and reinvented him. after their exchange, when Noodles is leaving and he looks back at the mansion, Max comes out as the garbage truck pulls up between them and then Max is nowhere to be seen after the trunk has grinded trash and moved pass them.

then it goes back to Max being back in the opium den, getting high again and smiling
I like it. From this moment on, how does Noodles' life play out, and then we come back full circle, because we just saw what happens over the next several decades. Noodles' actions causes him to be alone, weighed by guilt. Ultimately, those that survived in his circle are better without him.

Now, Sergio intended for the opium stuff to lean heavy into "dream" and while that may have been his intention, I believe that the film took on a life of it's own. It does work, but it also works without it. There are too many incidents not from the perspective of Noodles. Also, the 99% of the movie is after the opium house, so we lose him as a reliable narrator and wouldn't be able to say that the past wasn't a dream, and if Max, Cockeye, Patsy, Deborah even truly existed as depicted, if at all. The people that are after Noodles aren't even faces that are seen elsewhere in the entire movie.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
this is one of the ONLY gangster movies I've never seen. mainly cuz it's long as hell. I mean absurdly long.

just started it now, and the phone has been ringing for like 5 minutes straight. fukking ANNOYING.

I've never watched any other sergio leonne movie cuz I'm not into westerns. but there's no way this movie can possibly be :trash: with a yong deniro, james woods and joe pesci in it.

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
this is one of the ONLY gangster movies I've never seen. mainly cuz it's long as hell. I mean absurdly long.

just started it now, and the phone has been ringing for like 5 minutes straight. fukking ANNOYING.

I've never watched any other sergio leonne movie cuz I'm not into westerns. but there's no way this movie can possibly be :trash: with a yong deniro, james woods and joe pesci in it.
It's a slow burn

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I like it. From this moment on, how does Noodles' life play out, and then we come back full circle, because we just saw what happens over the next several decades. Noodles' actions causes him to be alone, weighed by guilt. Ultimately, those that survived in his circle are better without him.

Now, Sergio intended for the opium stuff to lean heavy into "dream" and while that may have been his intention, I believe that the film took on a life of it's own. It does work, but it also works without it. There are too many incidents not from the perspective of Noodles. Also, the 99% of the movie is after the opium house, so we lose him as a reliable narrator and wouldn't be able to say that the past wasn't a dream, and if Max, Cockeye, Patsy, Deborah even truly existed as depicted, if at all. The people that are after Noodles aren't even faces that are seen elsewhere in the entire movie.

yeah

i remember hearing that Serigo Leone's initial plan was to release two 3 hour films.