Why do so many people emulate black culture...

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
Dawg...as much as I agree with you (about race being a human concept), anybody else can't just "own" black culture like black people. For us...that comes natural.

Like, it don't matter what I do...or how I carry myself...I'll always exude that natural swag that comes with being black. Like I'm wearing my glasses, with a siouxsie and the banshees t-shirt on and camo joggers....and a pair of jordan 3s...and it don't matter cause I'm black son.

Like shyt, I'll see these other dudes with new era caps on, champion sweats, airforce 1s, and it looks like a chinese bootleg knock off...cause they ain't black son.

Black people can flip anything and everything and still not lose their blackness...others will try...they aren't.

I disagree with that notion that black culture can belong to anyone that's endured the same social and economic experiences we have...100%. A white dude wearing all that hip-hop gear is still gonna be seen as white no matter what happens to him due to living in a white society...I can be wearing a nice tailored suit with nice dress shoes and a tie and still get profiled by police...there's no comparison.

Nothing more needs to be said, anyone pretending they still don't get it is willfully obtuse.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
Skateboarding wouldn't even exist without Polynesians / Pacific People

Same with surfing. People will claim surfing is white culture like they didn't 100% jack it from Polynesians and Hawaiians. :comeon:

There is no such thing as white American culture. Everything they do is either jacked from POC or Europeans (there is such a thing as various European cultures).

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Black people/culture has been marketable and profitable for damn hear a hundred years now. Kids grow up seeing our culture put on front street by the white media trying to make money off of us, in return those same kids grow up watching us wanting to be like us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
Yeah no crap in 2015...But who was really skating like that in the 80's? :usure:

...I get how on the forum we trying to keep this thing of we discover and create everything and white ppl have no culture....

shyt was started by whites in cali w/ long boards bruh....Wayne, for the most part, popularized it for blacks....Lowkey white skating CULTURE created the current HI HOP fashion trend w/ the tight pants...they been doing in the late 90's early 2000s.

Give credit bruh, your doing the whole "what about rick ruban!!"
:snoop:

@*L*E*G*A*C*Y*
Could you school him on Skateboarding History?

Starski

Superstar
Daps
Yes....I will. For sure. I mean it's not like I haven't been doing this for 25 years of my life...lol.

Please school me...Ya'll are being willfully obtuse. Culture is something you LIVE.
It's impossible to NOT have some form of culture...
There might not be "white American culture" ( i disagree but if it makes you feel better go for it.)
but white Americans on an individual level are cultural/have culture.
and yeah polyasians were surfing > the longboard> the modern skateboard
however just cause you create something dose not mean you retain it was your culture.
Disco/house started in detroit/chi but germans created a sub culture for it (industrial).

also notice i said skateboarding and OTHER extreme sports....their is a lifestyle that is associated w/ that...therefore that creates traditions and norms...therefore culture....that is associated w/ wealthy whites.

once again brehs, dont understand the concept of culture, thinking that ish is property.

I get it, our ish gets jacked all the time so we over compensate by trying to claim everything or it's origins...but no need to be delusional.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Was gonna point the obvious xenophobic traits of some of you, but I doubt it's worth it...

Anyway : Europeans (especially North-Western europeans) have "lost" most of their culture as a by-product of modernizing their nations/countries, having Christianity imposed upon them, as well as centralized kingdoms who were hell-bent on destroying any local culture/history/tradition. That's why North-Western Europeans almost react in one of two ways when being confronted with someone who does have a culture/history/tradition : they want to destroy it, or want to copy it. Both come from a form of jealousy. I read an article some time ago about how you just have to say that some new medicine comes from "Asia" and white hipsters will go crazy lol

Before black culture, it was a lot of elements of arab culture that were used or admired. In France there was a whole artistic movement ("l'orientalisme") on that.

Of course, it's those same North-Western Europeans who then emigrated to the US, repeating the pattern there.

We must also keep in mind that in litterature/movies/etc...a recurrent theme is the young man who struggles/outsider. So there is some kind of romantic obsession with that figure among White people in general. That's why some will abandon home to go "live" and explore the world and shyt (often with their parents money), because they long for that adventurous style of life. But they also want to imitate it, so they imitate whoever is close to them and is struggling : more often than not, Black people. Add to that the fact that many do have some sense of guilt and feel that emulating the other's culture is somewhat a way of showing "Hey, I'm more open than other white people".

Finally, everyone knows that most innovations or "hip" things come from the bottom and from struggle, so if it's Black people who are at the bottom, well...

Daps
Was gonna point the obvious xenophobic traits of some of you, but I doubt it's worth it...

Anyway : Europeans (especially North-Western europeans) have "lost" most of their culture as a by-product of modernizing their nations/countries, having Christianity imposed upon them, as well as centralized kingdoms who were hell-bent on destroying any local culture/history/tradition. That's why North-Western Europeans almost react in one of two ways when being confronted with someone who does have a culture/history/tradition : they want to destroy it, or want to copy it. Both come from a form of jealousy. I read an article some time ago about how you just have to say that some new medicine comes from "Asia" and white hipsters will go crazy lol

Before black culture, it was a lot of elements of arab culture that were used or admired. In France there was a whole artistic movement ("l'orientalisme") on that.

Of course, it's those same North-Western Europeans who then emigrated to the US, repeating the pattern there.

We must also keep in mind that in litterature/movies/etc...a recurrent theme is the young man who struggles/outsider. So there is some kind of romantic obsession with that figure among White people in general. That's why some will abandon home to go "live" and explore the world and shyt (often with their parents money), because they long for that adventurous style of life. But they also want to imitate it, so they imitate whoever is close to them and is struggling : more often than not, Black people. Add to that the fact that many do have some sense of guilt and feel that emulating the other's culture is somewhat a way of showing "Hey, I'm more open than other white people".

Finally, everyone knows that most innovations or "hip" things come from the bottom and from struggle, so if it's Black people who are at the bottom, well...

Wow. :wow:

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
were the chosen ppl, the whole world hate us and their curious how we keep surviving all the hell we been put through

i truly believe god pull us through this for a reason.....these hardships are beautiful, we were given a soul, they were given wealth....

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
were the chosen ppl, the whole world hate us and their curious how we keep surviving all the hell we been put through

i truly believe god pull us through this for a reason.....these hardships are beautiful, we were given a soul, they were given wealth....

Im getting more curious about this "soul" that blacks possess. We have the most soul by a landslide. Everybody else lacks it. Especially whites. Im not religious but i cant help but to wonder if the whole "chosen people" thing is true or not

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im getting more curious about this "soul" that blacks possess. We have the most soul by a landslide. Everybody else lacks it. Especially whites. Im not religious but i cant help but to wonder if the whole "chosen people" thing is true or not
i use to be an atheist, but when u really think about it, non of that scientific/reason shyt adds up either.....