Why do people compare Prince to Michael Jackson so much

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
How about this Michael Jackson fans, Ray Charles showed Quincy Jones how to make music who went on to produce those beloved Michael Jackson albums, so without Ray Charles there is no off the wall, thriller, and bad.

Prince is a real musical genius, while Michael Jackson can sing really good and dance, but he's the king of pop for a reason. His music is sinple, its for little kids and young adults, older black people wasn't playing his music like that.

simple songs for kids huh? :mjlol:

Marlostanfield.

High On That Ray Charles
Daps
simple songs for kids huh? :mjlol:

What's complex about that ? Michael Jackson music is based on simplicity. Nobody is really looking for Michael Jackson lyrics, its his voice and can dance along to. Why you think he is called the "king of pop" ? Where is Michael Jackson "little red corvette", "when you were mine" etc.

Prince made songs about woman being sexually deviant wonderful. Michael Jackson music is pg compared to prince.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
What's complex about that ? Michael Jackson music is based on simplicity. Nobody is really looking for Michael Jackson lyrics, its his voice and can dance along to. Why you think he is called the "king of pop" ? Where is Michael Jackson "little red corvette", "when you were mine" etc.

Prince made songs about woman being sexually deviant wonderful. Michael Jackson music is pg compared to prince.

a song about a family's mother dying in a war torn middle eastern nation is for kids now? :jbhmm:

giphy.gif

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Quincy Jones did not write any of the songs on off the wall, thriller, and bad mike could have gotten another producer.

one of the alleged reasons MJ split from Q is because he felt Q was getting too much of the credit for a lot of his work...that's alleged.

the reason why I think that's true is because Quincy jones didn't even want billie jean on thriller - mike had to push for it

one of the biggest songs of both of their careers almost didn't make it.

that's beyond crazy :francis:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Songs in the key of life is better than Thriller???

from a musical and creative standpoint? it's not even close. that album is a masterpiece.

thriller was a pop album through and through, they intentionally made an album that would sell a ton of records

cmon man - "the girl is mine?" mike had never recorded anything so cheesy in his life prior to that:stopitslime:

KodeBlue

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Off the Wall and Thriller are good albums, but despite how much MJ stans want to bring up that he wrote the majority of the songs in his catalog, all you have to do is look at the liner notes and see how many people contributed in making his music. Prince was one freaking guy in Minneapolis making all his own music and producing others on his own. I think MJ is obviously a talented entertainer--great singer and dancer, but he's ultimately a song and dance man and his music was more of a collaborative commercial effort versus Prince who was a true musical artist.

You'll also see that MJ created the beat, and the lyrics, Melody all before anyone touched an instrument to put his ideas on wax. He only needed them to play the instruments, he laid out everything for them already.

Oh, and he conceptualized his own videos.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: GSR

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Off the Wall and Thriller are good albums, but despite how much MJ stans want to bring up that he wrote the majority of the songs in his catalog, all you have to do is look at the liner notes and see how many people contributed in making his music. Prince was one freaking guy in Minneapolis making all his own music and producing others on his own. I think MJ is obviously a talented entertainer--great singer and dancer, but he's ultimately a song and dance man and his music was more of a collaborative commercial effort versus Prince who was a true musical artist.
Not true:beli:

You undermine the role the fact that prince ha bands
Who were apart of the creative process for many of his critically acclaimed albums

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Don't conflate this. MJ himself influenced contemporary dance. His pool of producers and musicians influenced contemporary music.

And what musical genre came from MJ?

Michael basically created the modern pop artist. And how the modern pop artist would ebb and flow creatively
His blueprint and signature created modern pop music and the creative approach to pop music in the first place

Marlostanfield.

High On That Ray Charles
Daps
a song about a family's mother dying in a war torn middle eastern nation is for kids now? :jbhmm:

giphy.gif

By using your criteria kids should be only listening to Disney channel. When I say made for kids, its simply made doesn't require you to think, etc just be entertained, that's Michael Jackson music in a nutshell. People are not listening to Michael Jackson music for the instruments, arrangements, etc basically the complexities of music.

But this be last time I debate about some damn Michael Jackson, I don't care enough for his music to do all that.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
nikkas are really in here talking about a man that sold 60-110 million on ONE album??? Haha.

Nobody in the history of recorded music has done that. Not Elvis. Not The Beatles. Not Madonna. NOBODY.

Prince is dope but he couldn't wipe the shyt out of MJ's ass, let alone see him musically.

Love them both though.
michael also holds arguably the second greatest album sales feat of all time as well

Selling 30 million on both bad and dangerous back to back

Your not supposed to do this. This defies the law of physics on a music level

No artist has sold 25+ million on albums back to back

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
By using your criteria kids should be only listening to Disney channel. When I say made for kids, its simply made doesn't require you to think, etc just be entertained, that's Michael Jackson music in a nutshell. People are not listening to Michael Jackson music for the instruments, arrangements, etc basically the complexities of music.

But this be last time I debate about some damn Michael Jackson, I don't care enough for his music to do all that.
A track like "wanna be startin something"

Is more complex than any prince song musically

Written and composed by mj

edit-honorable mention heartbreak hotel also written and composed by michael jackson

Last edited:

TheDarkCloud

Superstar
Daps
michael also holds arguably the second greatest album sales feat of all time as well

Selling 30 million on both bad and dangerous back to back

Your not supposed to do this. This defies the law of physics on a music level

No artist has sold 25+ million on albums back to back

On ONE album, though. People talking about "well, just because you sell a bunch of albums doesn't mean anything."

Naw nikka. 60-110 million copies of ONE album sold is some otherworldly type shyt. No pop artist has even come close to that. You take the biggest selling albums from The Beatles, Madonna and Elvis, add them up and it still wouldn't match Thriller's sales.

Michael Jackson was fukkin God in the flesh. Yeah I said it.