Why do people compare Prince to Michael Jackson so much

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
In terms of writing & producing Prince.... Performance, style, presence Mike, which goes a long way

I listen to Prince songs & be like "I wish somebody else sung this" I say that about 70% of music...

Mike had a overall better & smoother voice..Majority of shyt he sung he owned it.... Image Prince singing lady of my life or human nature after Mike:francis:

Imagine Mike singing Prince songs :whew:I bet the song will be 3x better

I want Price to create music & I want Mike to perform it

They 2 different musicians tho:yeshrug:

Daps
Michael Jackson's biggest hit in the 90s was Black and White bruh :russ:

Michael Jackson only released an album every 7 years....

Prince had 9 albums in the 80s

Michael dropped 2

Yall MJ stans need to get it right...

Mike had remember the time, you are not alone, scream, & a bunch more.

Mike dropped two of the biggest & most critically acclaimed albums in music history in the 80s.

Mike>>>>>>>prince:mj:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Two legends but honestly, if you haven’t heard any Prince album besides Purple Rain, don’t speak on him. Go deep into his catalog first. Prince not letting his music being played on YouTube while he was still alive really caused an entire generation to not realize that he’s a musical genius and in the conversation of greatest musician ever. MJ is the greatest entertainer ever though.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
from what I saw it was basically because they were contemporaries....but they were the 2 biggest black stars around the same time. I dont remember any two black stars that big at the same time before them. not saying it wasnt but I wouldve been too young or not born yet. Musically they were nothing alike to me and I was a huge fan of both.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Prince and Michael Jackson: The Rivalry and the Revolution
In addition to these similarities, however, was another important one: their competitiveness. Both artists were intensely ambitious and made no qualms about where they felt they belonged in the pop hierarchy. They were keenly aware of each other’s albums, tours, awards, and records, and whether they publicly acknowledged it or not, they privately conveyed a desire to match and surpass each other’s achievements, especially in the ‘80s.

Prince watched Jackson collect a record haul of eight Grammys in 1984. That stoked his desire to reach similar heights, to be similarly recognized for his work. “We were watching rough cuts of Purple Rain,” remembers Bobby Z, “and we knew that’s where Prince wanted to be the next year.” Later that year, Jackson observed the phenomenon of Purple Rain. He attended a screening of the movie and attended multiple concerts, all the while plotting his return to the throne.

Years later, Questlove remembers sitting with Jackson and Eddie Murphy on the set of a music video when the conversation turned to Prince. “Eddie [was] like, ‘Yeah man… Prince is a bad motherfukker. I’m glad I’m working with you, but another dream I have is working with him too.’” And I don’t even think that Mike knew the camera was on him and he goes, ‘Yes, he’s a natural genius.’ And then four beats later, Michael says, ‘But I can beat him.”
Dope article

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Both were great in their own ways.

The prince bashing usally comes from people who have conservative views on music or really are not avid listeners of music in general. They tend to be in the box or don't listen to many artist outside popular chart topping artist. You cant even have decent music discussions because these people haven't even listened to the music they are critiquing. It's a waste of time.

Last edited:

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
Because both are:
  • light skin brehs
  • from the Midwest
  • artists who popped in the 80s
  • effeminate & extravagant dudes
  • singers who have light speaking voices
  • and entertainers whom the ladies loved

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
People in here saying that Prince was nothing special because he didn't always have chart topping hits or danced, while also saying that Michael was nothing special because he didn't write and produce every song by himself. :what:

The shytposting from both sides is awful. We don't deserve another MJ or Prince. :camby:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People in here saying that Prince was nothing special because he didn't always have chart topping hits or danced, while also saying that Michael was nothing special because he didn't write and produce every song by himself. :what:

The shytposting from both sides is awful. We don't deserve another MJ or Prince. :camby:

Too much slander from both sides. To me, MJ and Prince are like Jay and Nas. Both GOATs for different reasons

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Michael Jackson was beyond talented on a level that will never be duplicated EVER.

Plus he had the type of aura that would have everyone from Presidents to bloods and crips freeze in his presence.

Prince was a legend but MJ was literally a once in a millennium phenomenon and that's not even an exaggeration.

Daps
stevie wonder is not in this convo, all he does is sing
giphy.gif

If you think all Stevie did was sing you need to recheck his résumé.:ufdup: