Why do people compare Prince to Michael Jackson so much

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
This is how Beat it was created. The man created the whole shyt from top to bottom by himself. The man didn't even need musical instruments, producers, writters, technicians..nothing.

If he didn't need instruments and musicians, then why didn't he just release the demo? :aicmon:

I'm not denying the man had songwriting talent, but dude probably couldn't even tell you the name of scale beyond the major scale. It's straight up disrespectful to compare MJ's musical ability to any real musician's.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
This is how Beat it was created. The man created the whole shyt from top to bottom by himself. The man didn't even need musical instruments, producers, writters, technicians..nothing.

this is what i've been trying to explain to these people

people think michael jackson was like all these other pop stars that just get up and sing and dance and everybody else writes/produces

nah, he would make hit songs that he actually thought of himself, THEN he would dance to them

this is also why his estate makes money hand over fist - MJ wrote and produced some of the biggest songs in the world

KodeBlue

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
If he didn't need instruments and musicians, then why didn't he just release the demo? :aicmon:

I'm not denying the man had songwriting talent, but dude probably couldn't even tell you the name of scale beyond the major scale. It's straight up disrespectful to compare MJ's musical ability to any real musician's.

Why don't "real" musicians release their demos? Demos are the framework for the actual song. By your logic, Flavor Flav is a better musician than Michael Jackson.

• Dap
Reactions: GSR

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Why don't "real" musicians release their demos? Demos are the framework for the actual song. By your logic, Flavor Flav is a better musician than Michael Jackson.

Dirty Mind was almost all demos and was one of Prince's most critically acclaimed albums :sas2:

Again, if MJ didn't need musicians, why bother hiring them in the first place? Obviously he needed them.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN

:mjlol: this isn't a real criticism...hell, try and create a song right now, hum it and give it a chorus - doesn't even need full lyrics

i bet it won't be Billie Jean or Earth Song...

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A track like "wanna be startin something"

Is more complex than any prince song musically

Written and composed by mj

edit-honorable mention heartbreak hotel also written and composed by michael jackson

See I have no problem if you think MJ was better than Prince but statements like this prove some of y’all really haven’t listened to Prince’s catalog and are speaking from a place of ignorance.

Anyone who agrees with the post I quoted, go on Apple Music right now and listen to Computer Blue (Hallway Speech Version). Then get back to me

KodeBlue

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Dirty Mind was almost all demos and was one of Prince's most critically acclaimed albums :sas2:

Again, if MJ didn't need musicians, why bother hiring them in the first place? Obviously he needed them.

Actually, they weren't demos. They were full songs recorded at his in-home studio.

MJ didn't play instruments. I thought we established that already. The songs were already arranged and recorded before instrumentation was needed.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

fukk does that have to do with anything? Prince had a fukking band. It doesn’t take about from his talent. U nikkas in here shytting on either one of these cats is fools. And any REAL musician or entertainer would laugh at u for it.

• Dap
Reactions: GSR

CROM

Pray. I will not listen, but I will laugh at you
Daps
Reppin
Valhalla
Obviously, his Purple Rain album did very well and I guess he has sold an incredible amount of albums. But they were two completely different types of artists really. Prince was more like the guy you see in pretty much every rock band, the frontman who sings and will play guitar, though I know he could play many instruments. Michael was the real entertainer, who could sing and dance very well. He was so good at what he did, that he's almost universally renowned as the best. How many people call Prince the best rockguy of all time, or whatever he would be called? They're not really similar and really, Prince doesn't even deserve to be mentioned next to Michael, no one does. So why the comparisons? Because their two big albums came out close to one another? Discuss.
:camby: