Why do people compare Prince to Michael Jackson so much

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Because they're the two greatest musicians/artists to ever do it..and they're Black. Which keeps Yt people pressed.

expanding on this, they were what your parents /grandparent grew up on and MJ was one of the first major black superstars...that just carried over to their kids and their kids kids. He's an icon

Prince I'm not a huge fan of his and don't quite get the mystique compared to MJ. But I assume in the leather pants, dracula blouses, and boots era , he was the man and I guess was what black 80's was about?

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Prince isn't just a "rock guy," he's a multi-instrumentalist capable of making music in almost any genre out there. It's Michael Jackson who doesn't deserve to be compared to Prince. He was an entertainer--Prince was a true musical auteur.

wtf is this? lol....fukk type of work is auteur

when someone says "MJ" stans, they basically mean 99% of the world...at that point, you're not a stan , you're normal.

KodeBlue

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
wtf is this? lol....fukk type of work is auteur

when someone says "MJ" stans, they basically mean 99% of the world...at that point, you're not a stan , you're normal.

You mean 99.9999999999%. I'm sure that there was a baby born today in some remote region of the planet who doesn't know who MJ is. That baby will know about the GOAT over the next few hours.

N711oir

All Star
Daps
I think it's more of a societal construct. That we all must be monolithic in all endeavors.
They always pit one up against the other to breed contempt so we don't foster the habit of working cohesively together and controlling an industry.

The thing with MJ he practically stayed relevant from a child until he died? Not many Caucasian or otherwise and can say that.
They both did a lot for artist being independent/ respectively in their own ways.

Prince as out there as he was never had the type of trumped up allegations and court cases MJ had to deal with?

They were just different and great in their own way/ Like comparing Spain's world dominance to France's you appreciate the achievement as opposed to dissecting to negate ones greatness.

The both where titans.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Act like Motown never existed brehs :mjlol:

:what:

like I said, I may not know because was before my time. but I know all about Motown, probably more than most. so again, what two artists were AS big as those two DURING their apex which was close to the same time? waiting.....

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what:

like I said, I may not know because was before my time.
giphy.gif

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
Why didn't Prince produce a Prince album that was better than an MJ album then? :sas1:

It was called Purple Rain and its still played more on video and CD :russ:

nikkas haven't listened to Thriller since 96 burger king commercials when you could pick up a "spooky 6 piece"

Nobody talks about Mj already man :russ: He fell off so long before death and they tarnished his name that he's only looked back on for moonwalking and nostalgia. His good music has been trumped by his fukkery .... Dangerous is a good album that nobody will talk about. You should have brought up his depth instead of his hits that everyone is tired of and or overlooks

Wavy Hair Chipped Teeth

they spinnin nugga they spinnin
Daps
Reppin
Live nikka Rap
It was called Purple Rain and its still played more on video and CD :russ:

nikkas haven't listened to Thriller since 96 burger king commercials when you could pick up a "spooky 6 piece"

Nobody talks about Mj already man :russ: He fell off so long before death and they tarnished his name that he's only looked back on for moonwalking and nostalgia. His good music has been trumped by his fukkery .... Dangerous is a good album that nobody will talk about. You should have brought up his depth instead of his hits that everyone is tired of and or overlooks
Why is everyone in this thread saying such wrong things?
It's like a race to the shock value HOF up in here :hhh:

Maximus

All Star
Daps
Here's another one of princes problems - he was extremely difficult to work with and wanted 0 creative input on his music

prince wrote 100% of his songs. he wanted control over everything he did and artistic creative freedom to do his thing...cool right? so brilliant!! well let's look real quick:

yall were rocking with Chaos and Disorder? what's your favorite song off of this project?

220px-Princechaos.jpg

what about the triple album Crystal Ball!? whew, 30+ songs of just sheer genius!! oh boy he wrote alladat!?!?

220px-Crystall_Ball_%28Prince_box_set_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Relax with all the prince worship fellas...nothing about him was overrated or manufactured, all the love he received was much warranted.

but if you're going to REFUSE to work or collaborate with other artists on your music, then you'd better consistently put out GREAT and LEGENDARY WORK.

he didn't...period. that's just the truth.

thankfully prince came to his senses toward the last 15 years of his career and started performing his old 80's hits again

because if he hadn't - he'd have been up there singing songs that nobody had ever heard of and it would've killed his legacy

Prince was more of an instinctual artist; MJ was a quality control freak. This is why the majority of the few songs MJ commercially released as a solo artist are still remembered worldwide today. Prince wasn't nearly as big on quality control and for a time(1979-89), it worked in his favor; after that, however, the quality of his work ranged from good to downright disastrous("Come" "Chaos & Disorder" "Rave On 2 The Joy Fantastic" "The Rainbow Children" "3121" etc. - all very poor albums).

thesandman

Peace.
Daps
Reppin
Zion
Props to Prince he was a virtuoso but don't sleep on MJ's abilities. People forget that he wrote some of his best songs and co produced them as well.