Why do people compare Prince to Michael Jackson so much

KodeBlue

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Say that a guy making a bunch of noises with his mouth has comparable musical ability to a guy who plays a dozen instruments at a professional level, brehs.

Deny the fact that those noises made from that man's mouth (pause) became some of the biggest songs in the history of music, brehs. Think about that for a sec... the songs made from MJ beatboxing were bigger than anything Prince could've imagined.

There's no way that anyone can spin this shyt that makes MJ not the GOAT.

darryl

Superstar
Daps
Wtf are you talking about? His biggest song is either Billie Jean or Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, and he wrote both of those

And from Bad on he produced the bulk of his work. Even though he wasn't a musician and producer in the traditional sense, he would guide producers on his visions of song arrangements. He would literally beatbox melodies to the guys that could play the instruments. He was very much the musical genius Prince was
Naw man mike's biggest song is thriller

darryl

Superstar
Daps
Billie Jean is his biggest hit.

He wrote it himself.
IMO billy jean is his most iconic shyt. From the music video, to the glove, the beat etc. I guess your right when you're talking about the song. But the thriller music video is mj's most iconic and legendary moment in his career

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Both were great in their own ways.

The prince bashing usally comes from people who have conservative views on music or really are not avid listeners of music in general. They tend to be in the box or don't listen to many artist outside popular chart topping artist. You cant even have decent music discussions because these people haven't even listened to the music they are critiquing. It's a waste of time.
@blak_majik why did you dap this post, you ARE one of the fans she's talking about.
You brought up sales and popularity, two metrics that can be artificially inflated. These don't determine skill level or quality, as one hit wonders, pop artists, and poor covers done by white artists tend to be traditional high sellers.
You definitely prove a few theories about female-identified men with your posting style.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Michael Jackson was beyond talented on a level that will never be duplicated EVER.

Plus he had the type of aura that would have everyone from Presidents to bloods and crips freeze in his presence.

Prince was a legend but MJ was literally a once in a millennium phenomenon and that's not even an exaggeration.
Song and dance men are extremely well trained. He happened to be the ultimate in that field. A field that doesn't deserve as much respect as songwriting and creating raw music with minimal assistance. Mike was the culmination of great teamwork. The perfect vessel for creative engines. A living instrument, but not an artist in the truest sense.
True talent is creating, not perfect execution.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
This is honestly one of my favorite albums of his or any artist I've ever heard.

with all due respect though, you've got the man in your avi
we all grew up on prince, hell the very first CD i ever owned was graffiti bridge when i was 9 or 10
but the rainbow children was dumpster juice, as was a lot of his stuff from the late 90's on
I believe every great artist is owed one or 2 bad albums...but when you've got 5 or more :francis:

I like how MJ would beatbox most of his songs and that's how they would come up with the beat

this was the key to MJ's unique sound especially from Dangerous on (after he got rid of Q)
he's blend his beat boxing in with the production - i have no idea how they did it,
you can hear it in the production, this was the key to that MJ sound, it was organic.

Last edited: