Why do people buy the same damn games every year?

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
:snoop: we must "gamers" always complain about games they have no interest in? Obviously there is an audience for them and they prefer the yearly releases.
Because a lot of these practices the developers engage in are shady, rooted in greed at the expense of product quality, and some are flat out predatory. The worst of these being rng loot boxes and the pay to win mechanic obviously. Features like these, especially combined with a microtransaction heavy game can kill the replay value of a game. 2K and EA are the worst when it comes to these, regularly neglecting the quality of gameplay and game modes because they’re instead looking for nothing but new ways to further monetize the game. NBA 2K before my team and my career compared to now is night and day in how different it is. Play smackdown from the 2006-13 era before 2K took over and see what the developers focused on in each era. Look at all the problems the Star Wars: battlefront, NBA and WWE games have had in recent years not just in the ways the games have been monetized, but in the core gameplay mechanics and base game engines. The older ones had tremendous replay value beyond just 2-3 months. Halo 5 even stuck its foot in the water on this issue and it clearly hurt the game. It wasn’t a crippling problem in gears of war 4 since it was mostly restricted to weapon and character skins aside from horde mode, but it still hurt because it had nothing to encourage gamers to try new game modes or to play a new way. If we’ve already bought your game, we don’t want to be bombarded with things in the game menus that the game wants us to spend more real money on so that we don’t have to grind in the game to get these things. That directly discourages actually playing the game.

Last edited:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Cantwait said:
Thats not the same thing. Did you pay full price again for the privilege of reinstalling it?

Pay?

:mjlol:

shyt's been free-to-play since forever.

You can buy stuff from the store, but.......no need.

You get tons of free stuff just by logging-in to your account each day.​

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
i bought nba live 19 because walmart had it for 19 brand new
ad i bought nba live 18

hell i still play ncaa and college hoops so dont need to go all out

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Another game this site sees the jig on is Fallout 76. Even though they're 2 years removed from F4, F76 looks no different graphically from F4, and no different gameplay wise from F3. It's fine if you're gonna keep the same format but this exact gameplay has been around since 2008.
It’s a product of graphics getting to a certain level, games costing a lot more to make, plus companies getting greedier

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Been buying 2k since the Dreamcast launch, animations and improved player models are worth the upgrade almost every year.

Go back and try to play the old versions then the improvements really stand out. 2k4 and I think 2k12 were horrible.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because a lot of these practices the developers engage in are shady, rooted in greed at the expense of product quality, and some are flat out predatory. The worst of these being rng loot boxes and the pay to win mechanic obviously. Features like these, especially combined with a microtransaction heavy game can kill the replay value of a game. 2K and EA are the worst when it comes to these, regularly neglecting the quality of gameplay and game modes because they’re instead looking for nothing but new ways to further monetize the game. NBA 2K before my team and my career compared to now is night and day in how different it is. Play smackdown from the 2006-13 era before 2K took over and see what the developers focused on in each era. Look at all the problems the Star Wars: battlefront, NBA and WWE games have had in recent years not just in the ways the games have been monetized, but in the core gameplay mechanics and base game engines. The older ones had tremendous replay value beyond just 2-3 months. Halo 5 even stuck its foot in the water on this issue and it clearly hurt the game. It wasn’t a crippling problem in gears of war 5 since it was mostly restricted to weapon and character skins aside from horde mode, but it still hurt because it had nothing to encourage gamers to try new game modes or to play a new way. If we’ve already bought your game, we don’t want to be bombarded with things in the game menus that the game wants us to spend more real money on so that we don’t have to grind in the game to get these things. That directly discourages actually playing the game.
Microtransations is a whole other topic. Even with that, if you don't want to pay for it then don't. You got people that don't mind paying for it and that's their prerogative. It might kill replay value for you but obviously not for others

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Umm maybe because we want them to be better? Why do people dikkride corporations and feed on whatever bullshyt they give you, push their propoganda while shutting down people that want things to be better for the consumer?
:gucci: how can you want something better if you arent playing it in the first place? And where you getting this dikkriding corporations from?

The people that buying annual titles don't have a problem telling developers/publishers their dissatisfaction if the title slags behind that particular year and the developers tend to fix that problem for the next year(besides the WWE games)

Cantwait

All Star
Daps
:gucci: how can you want something better if you arent playing it in the first place? And where you getting this dikkriding corporations from?

The people that buying annual titles don't have a problem telling developers/publishers their dissatisfaction if the title slags behind that particular year and the developers tend to fix that problem for the next year(besides the WWE games)
Because I'm showing my displeasure by not buying. If the sales for 2K for example plummeted this year they would get the message
But as long as people keep buying it no matter what they have no incentive to make drastic changes for the better.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I just saw Black Ops 4 made 500 million in 4 days. :mindblown:

Not to mention bug infested Madden and microtransaction filled 2K. Are people really this dumb?
ppl love to shyt on 2K but they give ALOT of shyt away this year. I mean alot....

and there's a VC glitch that they stiol havent fixed....

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because I'm showing my displeasure by not buying. If the sales for 2K for example plummeted this year they would get the message
But as long as people keep buying it no matter what they have no incentive to make drastic changes for the better.
haven't played NBA 2K since 2014, but what drastic change do you want to see

International Playa

Playa with a Passport
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get the discussion, but most brehs buy sports games every year because of the roster change, plus if your crew of friends play against each other, you have to keep up with the latest releases