why do people assume its not pro black to date Light Skinned/Mixed people ?

Gravity

Banned
Daps

Redeem87

The Movement
Daps
Reppin
VA
So its settled then

If you are light skin your not black its about the phenotype black people have decided this. If we have a light skin sister mother etc thats only because we have to get rid of the european gene from our blood

Glad we have finally come to our senses and are starting to exlude light skin mixed people from our race . Black people dark skin and brown skin shall define who is or isnt black not a white man or light skin person .

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
So its settled then

If you are light skin your not black its about the phenotype black people have decided this. If we have a light skin sister mother etc thats only because we have to get rid of the european gene from our blood

Glad we have finally come to our senses and are starting to exlude light skin mixed people from our race . Black people dark skin and brown skin shall define who is or isnt black not a white man or light skin person .
:what:

Anwulika

All Star
Daps
@marcuz If the black parent is 100% black then that mixed-race child will come out looking more black than white. I've only seen the opposite when the black parent is generationally mixed.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:skip: Are you kidding me? Haile Selassie? Kwame Nkrumah?
Marcus Garvey influenced Kwame Nkrumah and a whole host of African Presidents not the other way around. Their age gap should clue you in. Kwame Nkrumah was only 5yrs old when Garvey founded the UNIA. Here are Nkrumah's own words
Slide5.JPG

Marcus Garvey was also perhaps the most outspoken critic of Haile Selassie..

Hard to see how he could draw influence from someone he didn't hold in high regards.:francis:

:russ:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The white supremacy of Colonialism definitely imparted cultural and racial biases on Africans, particularly the black petite bourgeoise, but I'm not so sure Africans wouldn't have had similar movements without AAs. For one thing, it's telling that these were referred to as "African styles" by AAs. Also,

hey were refered to as such because it was suppose to represent "black" hair in it's natural state. Basically, an African view of beauty who was influenced by Eurocentric ideals of beauty.

there were Africans rejecting Eurocentric beauty/style norms before the 1960s, just as there were Africans rejecting Eurocentric political domination before the 1960s. But either way, it appears as though these beauty/style movements were just fads, because the vast majority of prominent AA women nowadays aren't wearing natural hairstyles or dressing in traditional African garb. Mind you, there is no shortage of African women wearing European hair or garb, but you'll definitely find more women in America doing it than in Africa.

IMO, Afram's or new wolrd blacks in general shouldn't be wearing african garb. Even the slaves didn't wear it much outside of the head wrap/scarf. Now, the hair is another story. Aframs rocking natural hair is so huge it has become global, almost anywhere "black "people reside have jumped on it.

:sas2:

Team Natural is on the Rise in Latin America and Diosas al Natural is inspiring a hair revolution!!

The Culture Bazaar meets with Diosas al Natural community leaders, Joaquin Medina and Kali Blocker, based in Puerto Rico. These Tastemakers in Latin America are igniting the natural beauty trend which is on fire in the States. They took the time to share their extension of the Natural Hair Movement in Latin America. They created a community that informs, celebrates, and supports people with naturally coily, kinky, curly hair in Puerto Rico, the Caribbean with Spanish-language content and dialogue.

The Culture Bazaar (TCB): How and why did you start Diosas al Natural?

Diosas al Natural: Both Joaquin and I are passionate about natural hair and what the natural hair movement means for women throughout the African Diaspora. Joaquin had been following the movement as it was growing within the US, and I have been active in the natural hair community since 2004. When we met, he spoke about how he loved the sense of community and pride that he witnessed in New York and throughout the US amongst naturals, and how he wanted to create that space amongst women with afro-textured hair in Puerto Rico. I told him I would love to work with him to make that happen, and we got to work.

We both had a shared love for photography, and decided to kick start the project with a series of photos showcasing women in Puerto Rico with natural hair. It was our way of creating images that we would like to see celebrated throughout the media and showing the world an image of Puerto Rican women that is not always broadcasted or celebrated.

TCB: What is the initial reaction to the Natural Movement in the Latin American Community?

Diosas al Natural: As with anywhere else, it is a work in progress. The movement itself is much newer in the Latin America than it is in the US, so it is at an exciting phase of renewal and growth. Of course, there are also undesirable comments and sentiments, but that’s why having the community of Diosas al Natural is important.

TCB: For the Woman whom you have watched transition have you notice mentality change about their idea of what is Beauty? Please describe.

Diosas al Natural: Yes, of course. It is a journey for all of us, but it is beautiful to see women allow themselves to learn to love their image. I emphasize the word “journey,” because it doesn’t happen overnight. You are talking about women here on the island, and throughout the diaspora being bombarded with images of “beauty” that do not reflect their likeness. There is an array of feelings that goes on in the process, but every time that we receive a message of someone being inspired to make the big chop, or start to learn their texture by transitioning, it means more progress being made.

TCB: How are others responding to women becoming natural, (Latin American men and other less curly textured women)? Have they been supportive?

Diosas al Natural: The responses run the gamut from supportive family members to spouses, co-workers, etc. who discourage it.

We are getting all the responses! From supportive husbands to unsupportive husbands, trolls who spew hateful thoughts, etc. it’s the same array of responses that many women around the world with afro-textured hair have dealt with. Good or bad, we have this space to encourage our Diosas to remain proud of their image despite the highs and lows of both external and internal influences.

TCB: What is the ultimate goal for Dioas al Natural?

Diosas al Natural: The goal is to continue to cultivate a community that grows together, and learns to appreciate their roots, literally and figuratively. We want to make sure that there are less young girls and women who have to deal with the ignorance of being told that the way that their hair grows naturally out of their heads is not acceptable. We have a lot of work to do, but that is where we are at.

Team Natural is on the Rise in Latin America and Diosas al Natural is inspiring a hair revolution!!

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Identity Rebirth: Interview with Diosas al Natural

Diosas al Natural works to grow the natural hair movement in Puerto Rico. This interview is a companion piece to my “How I Joined the Curly Hair Movement.”

“Between ‘unlearning’ negative thoughts instilled in us through the media and our environment, to dealing with the reactions of family, peers in school or at work, and even strangers in the street, it can be an up & down journey.“

How did Diosas al Natural get started?

The idea of Diosas came up in a conversation that we had when we first met while Joaquin was on vacation in NYC. Joaquin knew that I was a natural hair enthusiast, and told me about his vision to bring the natural hair movement to Puerto Rico. His main goal was to help empower and encourage women on the island to rock their natural hair despite the stigma that comes with it. He had been inspired by the abundance of women with natural hair in New York, and thought it would be a “good look” on the island. I told him that if he didn’t make it happen I would and we decided to work together! We decided to start it off with a photo project, as we both have a love for photography, and we agreed that it would be a cool and different approach to empower and combat the status quo in the media by showcasing images of natural women from Puerto Rico and throughout Latin America. Seeing images of yourself is very important. And throughout the media, it goes without saying, you see a homogenous idea of what is considered beautiful, but that is changing now.

Diosas-Anni-200x300.jpg
Why do you believe the curly hair movement is important? Also, why is it important forLatina/os of color?

The curly hair movement is important for many reasons. Communities are created to support one another, share information, and empower. The Natural Hair movement has done just that, and has organically grown into a cultural revolution world wide. With all that said, it was a top priority for us to bring Puerto Rico into the mix.

The movement is important to Latinos of Color for similar, if not the same reasons that it is important for people of color throughout the Diaspora. While the thought of wearing your natural hair seems so simple, it can be a very emotional process both internally and when dealing with the public. Between “un-learning” negative thoughts instilled in us through the media and our environment, to dealing with the reactions of family, peers in school or at work, and even strangers in the street, it canbe an up and down journey. Not to mention, many are learning how to work with their texture for the first time, which can sometimes be frustrating until you figure it out. The community help gives you that confidence and the information needed to learn and love your hair, if you are willing to take that step.

Many are familiar with the terms “pelo malo,” or talk of covering your “raices” by getting a relaxer. Whether it’s a loved one ora stranger, it still hurts when someone has something negative to say about your hair, or your appearance in general. Ifyou have a certain texture you have to cover your raices and get a relaxer. It’s very important for the reason of creating a community to share information of sisterhood, bonding and even brotherhood as there are men who support us as well. It’s important for Latina/o’s of color to be included in that dialogue. It can be intense, it can be enlightening, it can be emotional, it can be all of the above. There are so many different experiences for different women with natural hair. The most important part is that women, girls, and even men are encouraged to believe that there is nothing wrong with how our hair grows out of our heads. We must learn to embrace it, love it, learn how to care for it, and work to transform the idea of what “beauty” truly is.

Diosas-PR-Gran-Corte-200x300.jpg

Have you received any discrimination (or know of any), toward women or men wearing their hair naturally?

After creating Diosas, of course. Every now and then we get a few comments from people who have very negative things to say about natural hair, what we’re doing, etc., but that is even more the reason why we keep the movement going. We also hear stories of women getting hurtful statements from family, friends and people who they encounter. Most notably we’ve gotten a few from people who have had issues at the workplace with management requiring ”non-textured” hairstyles. The beauty of it all, is that many of the women are taking control of their image and their sentiments towards it, and are owning it. Once you get to that point, no one can stop you.

In Puerto Rico, when did the movement take off, or has it always been around, but has greater reach now?

I will humbly state that the movement took off in November of 2012 when we launched the page (wink, wink). But of course, there were women here rocking their natural textures before then. We came along to bring everyone together as a collective and encourage the movement to grow here on the island, as well as show the world that Puerto Rico ‘Naturals’ are representing!

What type of feedback have you received from the community?

The feedback has been great! The word is spreading like wildfire. We hosted the 1st Natural Hair Meet-Up in Puerto Rico back in April, and meeting everyone who has been inspired by the page was a great experience. Not to mention, so many of the attendees were on cloud nine from the positive energy and sisterhood that was taking place at the event. People were sharing tips, taking pictures, meeting new Diosas, and even the support we got from a lot of men who recruited their curly lady friends to the page was amazing. We are working on the next big event to take place before the end of the year. Time to bring the Diosas together again.

Does Diosas al Natural have any ties to the U.S.?

Oh, yes! Kali is from New York, and we got a lot of love from “Diosas” from the U.S.! Of course, much of our inspiration also comes from the movement that really took off in the U.S. We are working to continue spreading the movement throughout Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, and Latin America. It’s beautiful how big the Community has gotten. We’re global!

We have also been working with Juan Carlos Coates, a photographer based in NYC, to capture some of our natural supporters in the Big Apple. That collaboration has resulted in some beautiful images, thus far.

Who organizes Diosas al Natural? Also, tell me a bit about your background.

Kali Blocker and Joaquin Medina are the creators of the movement. We both do the photography. I edit the videos, and he edits the photos. We share responsibility for running the page, event planning, etc. We are working on some merchandise for the Diosas, as well as a few events, one coming before the end of the year.

Kali: I split my time between fitness, natural hair and cultural events. I’m a personal trainer and have had my hand in the natural hair world for about 10 years. I do photography, v-logging and event planning. I graduated from Hofstra University, where I studied International Business with a concentration in Spanish. I’m originally from Queens, New York, raised throughout the East Coast. I currently reside in Puerto Rico.

Identity Rebirth: Interview with Diosas al Natural

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Black Power in Brazil Means Natural Hair

The pride in blackness that migrated from African Americans in the U.S. brought big Afros and a natural style that has become a movement in Brazil.

screen_shot_20140625_at_1.49.37_pm.png.CROP.rtstoryvar-large.49.37_pm.png

Meninas Black Power

Black power is big in Brazil.

In the United States, black power is most associated with raised fists, social revolution and political demands. When Americans think “black power,” they generally think about the movement named and popularized in the 1960s by Southern Christian Leadership Conference founder and Black Panther Stokely Carmichael.

The concept of black power spread through the music of James Brown and Curtis Mayfield, the trial of Angela Davis, the speeches of Malcolm X and the food drives hosted by the Panthers. The movement was able to transcend boundaries. The music, culture and pride that were emanating from African Americans also began to gain popularity with young black Brazilians.

But when Brazilians saw African Americans taking pride in their blackness, owning it and wearing it with gusto, what they most identified with about the culture was the hair that many of the men and women wore: Afros.

Today in Brazil, when folks talk about black power, their symbol is their hair—natural hair. For Afro-Brazilians in general but black women especially, to wear an Afro or to wear their hair naturally is to wear black power.

“Many women [who wear] black power are adhering to the culture, others for political attitude, but there are also those who wear it simply because it is stylish and on point,” says Danielle Cipriane.

Crespos e Cachos (“frizz and curls”), Cipriane’s blog and Facebook page, is fast making her one of the most prominent voices in Brazil’s growing natural-hair movement. It features stories by black Brazilian women about hair care, as well as horror stories about using chemicals and fake hair. Her Facebook page has so far received more than 200,000 likes, and Cipriane says she gets around 90 messages every day from women who want to share photos of themselves with “black power” or are seeking advice on how to care for their hair naturally.

She is far from alone. A number of other groups have sprouted a challenge to Brazil’s preponderance of straight hair and are advocating for a quarantine on chemicals. One of the best-known is Meninas Black Power, or Afro Girls, a group founded by Elida Aquino to empower young girls to embrace their natural hair. Aquino started Meninas Black Power while she was a student studying nursing and midwifery in Rio de Janeiro. The name is “a mix of femininity and the strength that we extracted from our ancestry,” she says.

“Meninas Black Power was created to bring together Afro-Brazilian women with different backgrounds who understand that naturally curly hair is also a weapon of political positioning,” says Aquino.

Hair as political positioning or protest is nothing new for Brazil’s black population. American black power and black soul came to impact much of the country’s culture in the 1970s and 1980s, despite the existence of a military dictatorship until 1985. In Rio de Janeiro’s historically poor North Zone, young people started throwing parties with protest themes straight from Oakland or Los Angeles in California or Harlem in New York, which led to the importing of black music, literature and style from the U.S.

The message of black pride circulated at the parties, often with translations that emphasized “the commonalities of struggle among various African-descended populations, despite linguistic, cultural and regional differences,” writes Michael G. Hanchard, a professor of Africana studies at Johns Hopkins University, in a blog for Northwestern University’s Institute for Diasporic Studies.

In an interview with The Root, Hanchard further describes some of the impact of the black power style during its early years.

“It was seen as something threatening, Afro-Brazilians donning styles and attitudes that didn’t fit Brazil, or the white elites’ image of what a black Brazilian should look like,” he says. “It should be clear, it wasn’t an attempt to mimic Americans. It was simply a way of expressing their own identification with blackness in their own way.”

Black power’s popularity is beginning to challenge the Brazilian notion that ‘straight is beautiful.’

For Cipriane, who has been wearing her hair with frizz and curls for four years now and running her blog since 2012, it’s a paradigm shift. She says that black power’s popularity is beginning to challenge the Brazilian notion that “straight is beautiful.”

“Contrary to the rules of society and straightening crazes, relaxing and stretching, many black women are discovering the beauty, the charm and femininity of black power, with or without accessory, with or without comb cream,” she says. “The texture and volume of curly hair is conquering those who are tired of chemical alteration.”

While today’s Brazilian black power is more a hairstyle than a political movement, it seems that the ideals that came to define black power in its heyday, during the 1960s and 1970s—themes of black consciousness, unity, pride and political cooperation—are in full effect.

Black Power in Brazil Means Natural Hair

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Even in the Carribean, we called light skin people and mixed people in our classes "white" or "half breed". A half Indian person is called a "dougla", and so on and so forth. This is because most everyone in the black Carribean is black, and so anyone who deviates is obvious.

The Carib 3 tier colorline/caste system is set up that way but it actually isn't followed 100% to the rule. This is why light skinned people from the West Indies aren't as confused about being considered "black" racially as people from Latin America.

I bet in Africa they would call someone like Beyonce "white" or "mixed".There is no reason to denigrate black in all-black environments and apply white racial standards where black people dominate. If AAs were not surrounded by whites, their racial norms wouldn't be so perverse. They would not so willing debase the black race.

You can't say this for the whole of sub-saharan africa:mjlol:

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Carib 3 tier colorline/caste system is set up that way but it actually isn't followed 100% to the rule. This is why light skinned people from the West Indies aren't as confused about being considered "black" racially as people from Latin America.

It is generally the case and it has little to do with any caste system. It's just the way black people in their own country handle people who look different. It's like when whites call a mixed person "black".

You can't say this for the whole of sub-saharan africa:mjlol:

Like @Clean Cut and the rest of African brehs said, it is the case in most black countries. East Africa, maybe not, but East Africans are not even considered black in all of Africa.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@marcuz If he black parent is 100% black then that mixed-race child will come out looking more black than white. I've only seen the opposite when the black parent is generationally mixed.

Depends on the person. There are mixed race European child whose parents are black/white who don't look black.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Just went to wiki and read on the word lynching, can they use a different pic :snoop:

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's a part of black consciousness

I said "black racial definition". I don't think it has anything to do with that. Anyway I'm done with this conversation. A person isn't black because they decide to be black, like a fcking human isn't a goat because they decide to be one.