WHY DO NEW cartoons look like they were made on ADOBE FLASH?

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
i legit think there is only one dude who draws on paper, and he's a character designer for WB :russ: some storyboard artists start on paper, very few people scan anything.

its industry standard to work on a cintiq, at the bare minimum a wacom tablet. we've had line variation/pressure sensitivity for drawing on the computer since like early 2000's
Gotcha. Anime is definitely still done on paper first, though, as key animators actually share the original paper drawings on twitter and shyt. But since Anime is typically cheaper than even American cartoons, that's to be expected

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
MIND BLOWIN

I knew boondocks had there shyt animated in asia, but damn im shocked usa can't do animation better now than they did back in the 90s
It is cheaper to pay asians, so ever since america started heavily outsourcing, people have not being going to school for animation cuz... THAT shyt IS HARD AND TEDIOUS AS fukk. :damn:

even this shytty stuff we looking at now is tedious and time consuming. then when you look at the TYPE of stuff that people are fukkin with heavy, there's not that much reason to actually have good animation. all this adventure time, weirdo, cartoon shyt is all joke/gag based. as long as people find it funny, they look pass the not so good animation.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Gotcha. Anime is definitely still done on paper first, though, as key animators actually share the original paper drawings on twitter and shyt. But since Anime is typically cheaper than even American cartoons, that's to be expected
yeah, cuz its cheaper for them not to upgrade their studios to cintiqs. :russ: they pay those people peanuts too. shyt is damn near slavery over there in some studios. i mean this video is from 2012, they workin on computers that look like they from 98

they'll switch over soon tho, a lot of their manga artist, especially korea are going all digital now.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
yeah, cuz its cheaper for them not to upgrade their studios to cintiqs. :russ: they pay those people peanuts too. shyt is damn near slavery over there in some studios. i mean this video is from 2012, they workin on computers that look like they from 98

they'll switch over soon tho, a lot of their manga artist, especially korea are going all digital now.

Honeswtly outside of the big budget shyt, children's anime might be even worse off in Japan than over here. Ever since the first Astro Boy series, shonen anime is essentially just disposable merchandise-driven material, 20 minute toy commercials pretty much. They air week to week with no breaks, and the majority of the commercials are just merchandise for the franchise so the network barely even funds them to begin with. Brutal schedule, shoestring budgets...they have to cut corners like crazy. A lot of anime tend to have more detailed artwork but the actual animation is crap save for major episodes.

And because they're merchandise driven, the ratings don't even matter. Even popular shows get cancelled if they ain't moving toy sales.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

WOW

this looks tedius as 4uck, got brehs using pc's from the past, got brehs hand painting backgrounds, and drawing each frame bit by bit by hand. nah breh this shyt is insane

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I remember when they changed the art of American Dragon Jake Long.

I was so heated. They literally changed in the exact way described in this thread

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
It is cheaper to pay asians, so ever since america started heavily outsourcing, people have not being going to school for animation cuz... THAT shyt IS HARD AND TEDIOUS AS fukk. :damn:

even this shytty stuff we looking at now is tedious and time consuming. then when you look at the TYPE of stuff that people are fukkin with heavy, there's not that much reason to actually have good animation. all this adventure time, weirdo, cartoon shyt is all joke/gag based. as long as people find it funny, they look pass the not so good animation.

Then again, people have ALWAYS been complaining that The Simpsons has low quality animation:
Video: Home Is Where The Venom Is

The Simpsons, however, is strangely off-putting much of the time. The drawings are grotesque without redeeming style or charm (characters have big beady eyes, beaklike noses and spiky hair), and the animation is crude even by TV's low-grade standards.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Then again, people have ALWAYS been complaining that The Simpsons has low quality animation:
Video: Home Is Where The Venom Is
Yeah, the first few seasons of the Simpsons especially had hideous animation. Tons of drawing errors, frames not aligning, bizarre movement...shyt was bad. Sometimes they even poked fun at it with gags :russ:

Some examples:

tumblr_mp0swp0bPc1qcgnulo1_500.png

ned_off_model.jpg

Kj4yq6fbD75x.jpg

And these aren't cherry-picked in-between frames that you don't even catch during regular viewing either. This shyt is actually visible in the show.

Last edited:

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
dragon ball is the the prime suspect

dragon ball z looks like PIFF compared to super, super looks boring and drab

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
dragon ball is the the prime suspect

dragon ball z looks like PIFF compared to super, super looks boring and drab

Yeah super's animation has been a bit rough... :huhldup: The newest arc the tournament of power has been piff...:whew: especially that golden frieza transformation...:whoo:

:banderas:

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim

Exactly why I never wanted to do animation :beli:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Late 80s/90 Etch-and-Sketch cartoons>>>Pixar HGH FUKKERY:banderas::huhldup::picard:

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Anyone know what full list of design tools were used to make the old animation vs the new ones?

I was complaining about this animation shyt in the new spiderman cartoon thread. shyt looks like MS paint.