Why do Boxers/NFL/NBA players get so little respect for being great athletes

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think its because we have all played sports of various kinds we believe that with a little more effort, time & dedication we too could have been at a pro level. When in fact the vast majority has never possessed the potential. What makes this angst worse is when we see athletes of 'normal' stature (Floyd, Messi, GSP etc etc).

Also society is now trying to condition us to believe that everyone is the same and no one is truly gifted or special, which is absolute crap, you can work your ass off and improve your level, but no amount of work will make you equal or better than LeBron, Iniesta, Jon Jones, if that potential is not present.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I think its because we have all played sports of various kinds we believe that with a little more effort, time & dedication we too could have been at a pro level. When in fact the vast majority has never possessed the potential. What makes this angst worse is when we see athletes of 'normal' stature (Floyd, Messi, GSP etc etc).

Also society is now trying to condition us to believe that everyone is the same and no one is truly gifted or special, which is absolute crap, you can work your ass off and improve your level, but no amount of work will make you equal or better than LeBron, Iniesta, Jon Jones, if that potential is not present.

I get this but WHY is this generally applied to combat sports(boxing, MMA, hell even football etc..) more so than. something like Swimming. I've yet to hear a person on any forum say they could beat Ryan Lochte swimming. I have yet to hear someone say they could beat Phil Mickelson in Golf. I've yet to hear someone say they can beat Jay Cutler in power lifting. I've never heard someone say they could beat Usain Bolt in a race.

But let it be a sport based around fighting. Suddenly it doesn't mean shyt. And don't let it be a smaller fighter. Lets be honest Shane Mosley is beating the shyt out of the average 6'5" cat. and its not even a contest. He might as well be the Big Show against me or some shyt.

but I digress 50 cent name ringing out like that, he should be selling more albums it looks like.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I get this but WHY is this generally applied to combat sports(boxing, MMA, hell even football etc..) more so than. something like Swimming. I've yet to hear a person on any forum say they could beat Ryan Lochte swimming. I have yet to hear someone say they could beat Phil Mickelson in Golf. I've yet to hear someone say they can beat Jay Cutler in power lifting. I've never heard someone say they could beat Usain Bolt in a race.

But let it be a sport based around fighting. Suddenly it doesn't mean shyt. And don't let it be a smaller fighter. Lets be honest Shane Mosley is beating the shyt out of the average 6'5" cat. and its not even a contest. He might as well be the Big Show against me or some shyt.

but I digress 50 cent name ringing out like that, he should be selling more albums it looks like.

Its a fair question, dudes I know really think they can see most pro fighters, all I can put it down to is male ego?!, I mean I like to think I can handle myself but i'm not besting a pro fighter :yeshrug:

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Breh, I'm the smallest nikka in my family, and I'm 5'8" 215-220 when I'm in shape, and I ain't even big. Case and point, my cousin is 6'5" dunks with both hands and got offered a tryout by UIC but said f*ck it :manny: There's a LOT of nikkas in the Chi who are have the physical attributes to go pro in the NBA but for whatever reason don't do it, anybody from the Chi knows at least 2-3 Hoop Dreams type nikkaz :manny: You from the south, I'm sure in your hood a good 30-40% of nikkas are 6'+ and 200 lbs+, but don't give a f*ck :manny:

WTF you look like when you out of shape?!? :merchant:

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
Lol this thread

50 cent having a chance against mayweather

tyson getting beating up by regular dudes

People who think fighting bums on the street will give you advantages over world class athletes who train to beat the shyt of people.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Because, "no homo" thats what his mug shot says

50centmug1_0.jpg

But I guess therichest.com would be more accurate than the fukking police :stopitslime:
So... you think that was his physical peak?

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Lol this thread

50 cent having a chance against mayweather

tyson getting beating up by regular dudes

People who think fighting bums on the street will give you advantages over world class athletes who train to beat the shyt of people.

Floyd should have taken the fight then. 5-10 Mil for a sparring session is not bad, should be light work for Floyd, easiest money he'll ever win :pachaha: