Why didn't Avatar make a cultural impact?

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
name a character from Avatar besides Jake Sully. i only remember that name, b/c i think they said it like 23 times.

Bruh, ask someone to name a character from Scarface other than Tony Montana and people will draw blanks. That's not a good way to judge the impact of a movie. I don't remember any of the character names in any Alien movie other than Ridley.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Bruh, ask someone to name a character from Scarface other than Tony Montana and people will draw blanks. That's not a good way to judge the impact of a movie. I don't remember any of the character names in any Alien movie other than Ridley.
I think you'd be wrong on both accounts. i was just adding logs to the fire. I won't even pretend i remember anyone from the 2 movies you mentioned (Manny. Bishop... ?) but i think most general movie fans will

People remember every name from The Force Awakens, i bet you in 3 years they won't remember more than 2 from Rogue One. i think there is a correlation. maybe not a huge one, but there's something there.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I think you'd be wrong on both accounts. i was just adding logs to the fire. I won't even pretend i remember anyone from the 2 movies you mentioned (Manny. Bishop... ?) but i think most general movie fans will

People remember every name from The Force Awakens, i bet you in 3 years they won't remember more than 2 from Rogue One. i think there is a correlation. maybe not a huge one, but there's something there.

Now you are changing the parameters to movie fans. If something has a big cultural impact shouldn't it impact more than just movie fans? Can average person off the street name someone in Titanic other than Jack and Rose? Can someone name the characters in Jurassic Park other than Grant? What are the kids names?

Using names is a poor way to measure the impact a film had. It would be much better to use the plot or key scenes that everyone would remember. Now if you said Avatar fails on that level I would agree. The film was basically a visual feast, everything else was forgettable.