Why didn't Avatar make a cultural impact?

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
:stopitslime: I'm going to assume you never saw the movie in theaters.

I think Avatar is the most overrated movie of the past decade, but the visuals in that film are first rate for it's time. The only problem with them is that they were made with one format in mind so the shyt doesn't look as good outside of the IMAX experience.
:camby: that shyt looks cartoony either way

Spyro

Banned
Daps
nikkas complaining about the story being generic and a rip off yet will cum over the new Marvel movie where the plot is literally cut and paste from all them :dead:

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Movie was wack Imo and nobody I knew did not really like it. Everybody said it was a pochantos rip off

Spyro

Banned
Daps
Movie was wack Imo and nobody I knew did not really like it. Everybody said it was a pochantos rip off

Almost every movie that comes out these days is a rip off, there is practically no new days whatsoever.

So why does everyone hate on Avatar for it? Oh cause it's the highest grossing movie that's why :beli:

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
Because it was a basic, weak plot and story wrapped in shiny 3D affects that were ahead of anything else at the time.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Almost every movie that comes out these days is a rip off, there is practically no new days whatsoever.

So why does everyone hate on Avatar for it? Oh cause it's the highest grossing movie that's why :beli:

The thing is nobody is "Hating on" Avatar. People genuinely just don't care for the story. Even with the film first came out the story as by far the most criticized thing about it. Critics were saying it's a must see film but it was cliche story with bland unmemorable characters.

The basic structure of most films are the same, but the ones that stand out usually offer something else in terms of story, memorable characters, moments or even a fukking score, but Avatar doesn't have any of that. It's not a movie that people go back to watch over and over, the characters aren't memorable at all, nobody quotes shyt from that movie.

Damn near everyone acknowledges it was a hell of an experience seeing Avatar in theaters, but the story was weak as fukk.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well they're about to get their own theme park at Disney's Animal Kingdom so maybe that'll bring it back to the forefront.

Yea that shyt looks dope but i always felt that cameron didnt really capitolize or know how to on this flick. All of them mech suits and bulldozers shouldve been toys and had some spinoff cartoons etc instead of to be continued in another decade

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea that shyt looks dope but i always felt that cameron didnt really capitolize or know how to on this flick. All of them mech suits and bulldozers shouldve been toys and had some spinoff cartoons etc instead of to be continued in another decade

There just wasn't much to talk about or get excited about beyond the visuals of the film. There's really no mythology behind Avatar (yet).

You look at the things that really made an impact of some sort, they all had some sort of mythology for fans to dive into or expand upon. Even Michael Bay's wack ass Transformers movies have things fans can speculate on in between movies.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
It's hard for a film to have a large cultural impact with no memorable characters. Look at the big franchise films that have endured; The Comic Book Films, Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Back to the Future, Disney Animated Classics, Pixar Classics, Fast and Furious, Terminator, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, James Bond. They all have characters that connect, even if the stories are weak, you always come back to loving the characters.

Avatar just doesn't have any characters that resonate.

...except for one. Pandora. If you can count the world of Avatar as a character, then that is really the one character that has at least some connection to the zeitgeist. We got video games and movies attempting to capture the feel of Pandora, we got Disney creating an entire land for it at their parks. And we even had reports of people being depressed that Pandora wasn't real after they watched it the first time.

Exploring Pandora as a world is really the only possible way I can see sequel films succeeding anywhere close to the original. If they really expand on Pandora and bring it to life in new and exciting ways, then maybe they can get people excited for the franchise again.

Last edited:

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

No one truly hates it, I think the plot was just not original. The movie was beautiful and a must see when it came out. Just the story was underwhelming.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Avatar was just a fun thing to go see at the time when it dropped but it didn't leave you with anything to cling to. No memorable characters, memorable lines, scenes, nobody even really gave a shyt about the blue dudes world.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
name a character from Avatar besides Jake Sully. i only remember that name, b/c i think they said it like 23 times.