Why didn't Avatar make a cultural impact?

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This story had been told several times already with dances with wolves, fern gully, and the last samurai. It's major draw was the visuals, which can only go so far without a great story or great characters. It wasn't a bad movie in my estimation, but it needed more depth in its backstory and characters than just rehashing a narrative three separate films told between 1990-2003.

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
This story had been told several times already with dances with wolves, fern gully, and the last samurai. It's major draw was the visuals, which can only go so far without a great story or great characters. It wasn't a bad movie in my estimation, but it needed more depth in its backstory and characters than just rehashing a narrative three separate films told between 1990-2003.
Yeah, movie's story is Pocahontas in space.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
not reading thread, but the answer is that no matter how great Pandora looked, how culturally relevant and topical the storyline may have been... the fukkin Na'vi are incredibly shytty looking. Not even in the "they don't seem real" sense, just in the character design sense. they're awful, and they're the main reason everyone pretends they won't see the sequel*

*they will, just for the spectacle of it, but no one can honestly say "man, those Na'vi are cool looking."

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Never got the appeal of Avatar myself. I watched it but didn't see anything all that special about it and haven't seen it since with no desire to either.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
@Ironman - It finally happened! :blessed:
iron-man-o-4_zpscyiygk2z.gif

IN!!!!
iron-man-dance-o_zpscurbnrtd.gif

Who is the great poster behind this achievement?!